• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 174 thoughts and reviews

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Just wondering how guys are liking there 174 axys. I ordered a new 850 174 but since than I have heard from 4 who own the 174 Axys and would not buy it again. I will be coming off of a 2014 pro 163 with 3" track. I ride with a group of doo guys that all ride 174 or 850 175. Just wondering if I made a mistake and should have gotten the 163.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
not an axys, but....i replaced my 162 pc with a 174 ce on my '16 cat...very much like it, snow in my area tends to be on the light side, i also like to explore, find myself in difficult uphill spots, sometimes willow creek bottoms or other "oh $hit" situations where i would have been stuck with anything less...gives me a margin of safety from getting stuck that i really like...i can go slow uphill until trees open up and i can see my way out...if you're in more open situations, the 162/3's are good..:face-icon-small-hap

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My AXYS 163 was never really challenged but buddy got a 850 x 175 doo last season and he went from the back of the pack to the front. I too now ordered the same sled as you to put the hierarchy back in order. I don't think it will be the wrong decision because it will have the power to spin that track. I am however worried about the extra 30 lbs from my belt drive version of the AXYS. I will put on the TKI drive, a light pipe/can, ported snow flap, different bumpers etc. to put this monster on a diet.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Wouldn't order a 174" for me personally (just a 163 kinda guy).....BUT have been riding one quite a bit this year and have been totally happy with it. On the 800 Axys, the big 174 track does load that motor down a bit, take a little of the "snap" away and a little fun factor with it. Handling and sidehill characteristics are awesome, and it's a smooth ride. It lets you do things slower and park like a dumbarse (in powder, uphill) without getting stuck as easily. The front end is still light enough to wheelie over things you want to. Great for breaking trail in deep stuff. Steers poorly on hardpack (as expected)...pushes through corners and needs body english to hustle it through corners on the road. But that's no big deal...all of these newer sleds kinda suck on trails.

The only thing that bugs me a bit on the 174" .... steep (ish) downhill powder carves. The track has a lot of float, and rides high in the snow....this loads the front suspension more on a steeper downhill and puts you on your wrists a little more. Makes it a little harder to rotate to link up turns, as the rear end doesn't "set" as much in to the snow. Probably more of a "thing" for me than most riders....I suspect many wouldn't notice this.

That all said...... Rode the Axys 850 last weekend, and the new motor really breaths life in to that 174" length. Makes it more fun and it feels shorter than it is. Much quicker reacting in side-to-side movements with the new front end...between that and the added power/torque, it makes the whole thing feel like it lost weight (even tho it didn't). If that's the way you are leaning, don't think you'll be disappointed. 850 174" will be a serious unit.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
My AXYS 163 was never really challenged but buddy got a 850 x 175 doo last season and he went from the back of the pack to the front. I too now ordered the same sled as you to put the hierarchy back in order. I don't think it will be the wrong decision because it will have the power to spin that track. I am however worried about the extra 30 lbs from my belt drive version of the AXYS. I will put on the TKI drive, a light pipe/can, ported snow flap, different bumpers etc. to put this monster on a diet.

I am not worried about the chaincase at all. You only lose about 8lbs going to a belt drive and I have rode the pro in the belt drive and chaincase and could not tell the difference. Mine will get a ggb trail can to dump 12lbs and that's about it.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That would make a really fun sled to lighten it up a bit. The ported snowflap, or substantially cutting the OEM flap would be a good idea IMO....the 174" has lots of cooling area for a mountain guy, and backing that thing up off a deck with the OEM flap is super annoying, as it gets caught everytime you don't remember to flip it up. Just gets in the way and is excessively bulky.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
I built a 2016 Axys 163 belt and extended it to a 174. I bought the Camso 174 2.8 track. I bought Kurts Polaris's geardown with Extrovert 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers. 2.59 final gear ratio. I have a jaws pipe and custom clutching. This combo works VERY well. Will pull 45-46 MPH track speed in steep, deep days. Stock I was getting 39-40 MPH with the 163 2.6.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
/Users/benseinen/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail Downloads/6489936F-641A-43BB-80B2-EE92C34AB475/IMG_1221.mov

Premium Features