SnoWest Snowmobile Forum - View Single Post - Head shim + rebuild
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Currently: 2014 Viper MTX conversion
stingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN_VIPER View Post
Since it has coolant in the oil and you have no way of knowing how long it was ran in this condition. I would go ahead and pull the lower case (oil pan) and rod/main bearing caps to inspect the bearings. These engines run tight bearing clearances (usually around .001") and if the oil is contaminated or ran low on oil it can damage the bearings fairly quickly.
If there is bearing damage and you try and run it, there is a chance that it could spin a rod bearing and pitch a rod through the side of the block. Normally it's the center rod that lets go first.

It's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I would pull the motor to do the tear down/inspection. As it sits now you have a rebuild-able engine and by tearing it down you'll know for sure if it's sound before spending more money on it.
Having done a few I agree completely with this.

Rate this post: Yes | No