• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hm turbo better than boondocker?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
So how do u truly know what boost you are running on the vipec with no gauges? Food for thought

simply hook your laptop,turn on the vipec tuning software, press f3 to go online with the ECU, press f8 to start a log,go for a quick 10 second rip at wot,pressf8 again (stop logger) and check your log file and look for MAP sensor or MGP(true psi).....all that done under a minute.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Nothing bad about the vipec. But that statement right there is why i shy away. I did the whole laptop thing with the rb3. What a pita. Neils boost it kit has to be my favorite fuel controller atm

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I have legit source from a buddy of mine that it comes down to what wrap u have on your sled and weather or not the ice scratchers are down or not as to how the sled will perform

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Nothing bad about the vipec. But that statement right there is why i shy away. I did the whole laptop thing with the rb3. What a pita. Neils boost it kit has to be my favorite fuel controller atm

So you prefer not knowing what you are realy boosting? i do not like the idea i have been sold a 12 psi running kit when in fact it is a 6 psi kit(the only way you have to truly know what you are boosting is an MGP OR MAP reading). For guys like hm turbos,turbo performance,push turbo, the laptop is a full diagnostic tool more than anything, once the tune is done,it is over, if you have problems refer to your datalogs. the laptop is a very powerfull diagnostic tool(like factories as a matter of fact) more advanced then digital wrench and arctic cat dealers have to work with.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
So you prefer not knowing what you are realy boosting? i do not like the idea i have been sold a 12 psi running kit when in fact it is a 6 psi kit(the only way you have to truly know what you are boosting is an MGP OR MAP reading). For guys like hm turbos,turbo performance,push turbo, the laptop is a full diagnostic tool more than anything, once the tune is done,it is over, if you have problems refer to your datalogs. the laptop is a very powerfull diagnostic tool(like factories as a matter of fact) more advanced then digital wrench and arctic cat dealers have to work with.

If you put a mechanical boost gauge in the boost tube before the airbox and have no leaks in the airbox or or throtle body hook up how in the he!! does it not getting the same boost the gauge is saying???? Unless the gauge was faulty which really has nothing to do with the kit itself.

Unless I am missing something this is how just about everyone has measured boost pressure in a turbo charged system for the past 30 years

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
you are right it can be mechanicaly measured with a high quality gauge with the said procedures. Is it a bit simple to plug a usb cord to a laptop and consult your boost set? all mechanical boost gauge i have seen included with almost all turbo kit builder are displaying wrong, always too high(and by a lot, i am not talking .5psi here, more 2-5 psi)

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
you are right it can be mechanicaly measured with a high quality gauge with the said procedures. Is it a bit simple to plug a usb cord to a laptop and consult your boost set? all mechanical boost gauge i have seen included with almost all turbo kit builder are displaying wrong, always too high(and by a lot, i am not talking .5psi here, more 2-5 psi)

Hmm I guess I didn't realize mechanical boost gauges were off that far... Are you sure the Vipec is reading it right? Seems odd that a good mechanical boost gauge wouldn't give you an accurate reading.

S
Nov 27, 2007

I have already tried arguing the benefits of vipec and the low boost.... Sometimes you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. All I was trying to get across in my post is a lower boost kit such as hm or turbo performance all around runs better! (this is coming from a boondocker owner)

The kit to buy

If you want the best bang for your buck go with Turbo Performance kit, Bryce and Josh have the best kit on the market hands down it putting the most horse power and the best quality products. The kit is extremely clean. I have mine set at eight pounds and it rocks! It's time people start giving these guys a chance and buy their kits you won't regret it! I've had mine out eight times and no issues at all, they have three fuel box to choose from so the skies are the limit for and your needs! :face-icon-small-ton

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Hmm I guess I didn't realize mechanical boost gauges were off that far... Are you sure the Vipec is reading it right? Seems odd that a good mechanical boost gauge wouldn't give you an accurate reading.

One of the problem is the majority of those gauges are chinease piece of crap and the vibrations on a sled is terrible for those gauges..... It is nothing againts one particular company/kit, we all know what is the cost of a good boost gauge vibration proof and it is out of range for this industry with such a competitive pricing going on.

Vi-pec powersports

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
And no i dont really care what my boost says. I set it for 10#. Want more i turn it up. Go too far i turn it back down. See a big hill. I turn it up a little more. Boost number is just a number to me

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Originally Posted by philsummers21 Nothing bad about the vipec. But that statement right there is why i shy away. I did the whole laptop thing with the rb3. What a pita. Neils boost it kit has to be my favorite fuel controller atm

So you prefer not knowing what you are realy boosting? i do not like the idea i have been sold a 12 psi running kit when in fact it is a 6 psi kit(the only way you have to truly know what you are boosting is an MGP OR MAP reading). For guys like hm turbos,turbo performance,push turbo, the laptop is a full diagnostic tool more than anything, once the tune is done,it is over, if you have problems refer to your datalogs. the laptop is a very powerfull diagnostic tool(like factories as a matter of fact) more advanced then digital wrench and arctic cat dealers have to work with

The BD box does provide the max psi readings charge temps and etc your discussing in the stats menu.

I understand that the laptop is really only a preliminary deal but i think it could be taken to the next level by using a smaller less destructible device to tune on the go. Via smart phone would be ideal!

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Even if its not as powerful of a tuning tool, if I could plug my iPhone into it even if just for data logging purposes that would be awesome, as at this point going to a vi-pec would require the purchase of a new computer as my laptop is rather large with about a 45 minute battery life. Works for everything I do and would work for in the shop tuning, but would be fairly worthless to take on a ride to data log.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Imagine the tuning possibilities on the hill if you could connect to an iPhone/iPad. I have the vipec on my hm kit and its ran flawless.

I don't see why you couldn't put one of these (Windows Surface Mini Tablet) in a case, and in your backpack if you wanted to take it out for in-the-field tuning...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microso...s?id=1218843729022&skuId=7411049#tab=overview
Unless you can't download the Vipec software onto this? Maybe it can be run off an SD card as an .exe file or something... I don't know but its just food for thought...

But once the Vipec is setup, my understanding is that there is not day to day tuning.... and especially no changes throughout the day. So there really shouldnt be a need to carry this around after its tuned for whatever setup you're running...

an iPhone/smartphone app would be coolest tho! :face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:
Premium Features