• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Financing a sled

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Just had a quick ? for you guys. Im looking on getting some new sleds for my wife and I. I have always financed my sleds through a local bank back home but am moving to Duluth here in a few weeks so thats kinda out of the question. Is there any place thats better than just a bank to get financing through? I should be able to walk into wells fargo this afternoon and walk out with a check but just curious if I might get a brake on interest somewhere else. I'm looking at a 08 IQ600 race sled in the crate for me, dont have anything picked out for the misses yet. Also who has cheap insurace?
Thanks a bunch

B
Nov 21, 2007
Jackson WY
Try searching for a credit union in your area, many times they have lower rates than a bank. The rules for who can join have been relaxed in the last few years, so don't let that limit your search.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
In Duluth check out Cloquet Members Co-op credit union. Very good. Every loan I have except the house is with them.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks for the info guys, now that I’m not a poor college kid trying to make ends meet I don’t like the idea of financing toys either. I’m planning on paying the sled off as soon as I get my sign on bonus from my new employer but it will be another 40 days down the road and its damn near impossible to get your hands on an 08 race sled so you have to jump on an opportunity when you get one. The insurance thing is kind a no brainer have had sleds since I was 14 with no insurance so my luck is gonna run out soon.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Apply for the Polaris star card, 0 down, 0 interest for 6 months right now. Pay it off once you get your bonus.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I dont finance toys.

Must be nice! I don't know how some of you do it! I have a great job and so does my wife but to be able to drop 12,000 cash on a new sled is impossible, let alone a sled for her and a Mini Z for my son!

Clue me in here! What am I doing wrong?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
Must be nice! I don't know how some of you do it! I have a great job and so does my wife but to be able to drop 12,000 cash on a new sled is impossible, let alone a sled for her and a Mini Z for my son!

It is never easy, takes a lot of commitment and discipline. Knowing your budget helps. Setting some aside every month for retirment, savings, that lil rainy day fund. Putting some aside and investing it.

As far as me. I work as a Business Banker for Wells Fargo, run some cows on the side and feed a pen or 2 of cattle every year. Oh, I am also single. A budget for just me is a lot easier then one with a wife and children.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA

Wrong?? No labels being thrown here. It's just choices. Toys were mostly used through the years. My trailer is not filled with new sleds (yet..???), but used ones that we have kept upgrading as money allowed. The more we got into it, the more funds we diverted from other things (like food). Kicking two kids out helped too...

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
You almost always will find a better interest rate at a credit union vs. a bank.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
So whats the difference between a credit union and a bank. From what I have read on the internet you need to be a member of a credit union? Can you be a member and just borrow money or do you need to have an account with money in it as well? A bank might just be easier, plus I'm planning on paying it off early so that extra couple of bucks in interest isnt going to kill me.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
I usually end up taking whatever special deals the manufacturer is offering to get me going.

Then I transfer the loan (once its about to jump to 18-21%) to one of those credit cards that offer 3% for the life of the loan on all balance transfers.

keeps my credit score higher n hell and I don't pay much interest.

Just make sure you have the disipline to not charge other things to your card that you have the new toy on!

I don't even activate the card :D

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
auctually disregard my advice on all things fianancial ROFL

I got 3 cards, one I use daily instead of a debit card/checks (racks up air miles) I pay it off monthly. Anything that can be set up for auto pay is paid thru this card. Utilities etc.

I got one that is 3% for the life of the loan on all transfers (bought a Yammy Grizzly thru yamaha credit then transferred)

Third card took over a vehicle loan, again it's 3% for life also.

My AC fianancing for the M8 is thru a local company (think credit union) I pay heavy on this one to pay it off early.

What I'd like to start doing is send part of my paycheck to a bank savings that the wife doesnt see, it will be our play budget instead of fianancing everything. My wife tends to pay everything high as she can to pay it off early, but it leaves us feeling broke all the time :mad:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I financed my YFZ540, and I will never finance another toy again ...

You get horrendous APR's, and I even have a fair amount of perfect credit ... and I didn't even finance through a MFG ...

And, they depreciate so fast, so you pay a lot of interest on a depreciating item ..

It's just not a good idea, and I would never finance a toy again ...

Or another vehicle.

From this point on, I am only gonna finance stuff that will eventually make me money, heh :)

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
I can't give much advice on this, I just financed the first toy ever. Always paid cash for the toys up till today.

We'll see how it works out.

Premium Features