• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expensive snowmobile clothes worth it?

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam new and have just been using my ski clothes but can't help but notice and kinda want cool kid snowmobile clothes. Do you guys think they are worth the money and are they really that much different than skii clothes? Are the onesies awesome to wear? Why do you guys want onsies? Is it because of the mobility or the danger of back country vs the resort or what? I was in the dealer and finally looked at them and was pretty blown away by how bomber it was but man spendy!!! Tell me what ya think. Tell me what brands are sleepers or deserve respect or why not. Thanks

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Dedicated snowmobile clothes have much heavier nylon/cordura than ski clothing has. It makes a big difference in water repellency, windstopping and general durability. You need the dedicated clothes-- boots, gloves, bibs and coat.

I don't own a piece of Klim or Tobe. Not into names or paying too much. I have been very happy with many different brands.

Polaris used to be great, may still be. Happily used CMK, Coldwave, and others. I hear Skidoo clothes are good, I have Motorfist (maybe not in business anymore but great clothes) and HMK; use DaKine gloves; and Castle X boots. No desire for or knowledge about the onesies. Gave up when the onesie's forebearer-- snowmobile suits that were basically insulated nylon coverall. The old suits got passed by improved coats and bibs.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO I would buy quality bibs. Klim togwotee is what I have worn for years. For a jacket I buy whatever’s on sale. Currently a Polaris pullover. I would suggest 2 pairs of cheaper gloves and swap midday. I have currently have Klim boots, but wore Cabalas boots for years.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I love cheap farm gloves, have never kept expensive ones more than a couple rides. Always something goofy that drives me nuts.
Inexpensive option for bibs is cabelas guidewear. Waterproof and wind proof lasted me 6 years. My next bibs were expensive and destroyed in one year.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Yes yes and yes. I'm avid snowboarder, initially got into sleds for backcountry snowmobiling. I started using snowboard gear but sleds absolutely destroy them. One slide on your rails and you slice up your pants pretty good. I switched to mono suites four seasons ago and I'll never go back. This year rocking Tobe, 45k, super dry and tough. I wreck a lot and slide all over my sled and sled specific monosuits are the only gear that survives. Also on boots, I've broken three sets of BOA snowboard boots in the past two seasons too. I went back to traditional lace ups after I broke my last set on second day up this year. I have a set of snowmobile only boots too, but since I generally take at least a couple snowboard runs every day I rarely wear them. When I do I'm super stoked, so comfy I can put them on at the house, ride all day and drive home in them.

20211220_204909.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ski/board gear will totally work in a pinch - it will just get torn up quicker as mentioned. It will also look like crap and smell like 2-stroke quickly, which isn't always the best for the ski hill.

I have been loving the one-piece for 4 years now - quick and easy to put on, jackass (me) can't forget his snowpants at home, no stuff bunched up around your waist, and no snow intrusion. Just a more comfortable and better solution - but yes, very sled specific. Everyone I know who has gone that route hasn't gone back. I've owned a Klim, a Tobe, and a Scott suit - all were good, and some brands/models aren't as pricey.

Klim boots are a must for me. I don't find the sled-branded gloves a must - there is other stuff out there that works just fine.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I wore Motorfist pants, coat and 2 pairs of their gloves for 11 years till last ride of last season my zipper finally gave out on my coat and pants were starting to get wet on the seat and knees after they repaired them for free twice so I figured they had a good run and I bought new Klim bibs and coat with 2 pairs of 509 gloves for this season and hope to get 10 years out of these also. I always say buy once cry once!

P
Dec 15, 2018
So is the general consensus that klim isn't over priced but actually worth the money because it's just that good? 509 is alot less but I've never held it in my hand...if I have a cool sled, a onsie, a carbon fiber helmet and space age looking google lenses but can't side hill at all really...do I suck real bad and deserve a beat down or is that tough titty for you poor bastards ? Yahaha

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
So is the general consensus that klim isn't over priced but actually worth the money because it's just that good? 509 is alot less but I've never held it in my hand...if I have a cool sled, a onsie, a carbon fiber helmet and space age looking google lenses but can't side hill at all really...do I suck real bad and deserve a beat down or is that tough titty for you poor bastards ? Yahaha
I'm not really a fan of Klim. I've blown out a lot of their gear, warranty is great but it's no fun going into my shop with another pair of their gloves that have fallen apart. With that said, I can sidehill but can't bowtie to save my life so pretty sure I'm still a kook. At least I'm a dry kook.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Sucks for right now but if you keep your eyes peeled for deals you can generally pick up stuff in the off season for a good deal. Some black friday type stuff or end of season when clearing out last years designs. If you need a complete gear set up and on a budget look at picking up some gloves(use ski gloves as back up and for trail in and out) and a helmet and goggles now for this season. Rock your snowboard or ski boots(did this for a couple years and they work) and other ski gear till you can replace with sale stuff. Going mostly to my motorcycle days but dont buy a bargain helmet. Fit and quality are worth it if its on you all day. But can save good $ buying a quality last years model. If cant try on or buy from a place that has good return policy and dont be afraid to send a couple back till you get it right. Id probably lean to matching the same companys goggles and helmet if you cant try em on together. Ive also splurged for carbon fiber lids and have had regular ones(mostly motorcycle but did just pick up a carbon lid this year for the sled). They are noticeably lighter and if you have the coin go for it but they are not game changing liter. 509 stuff aint bad. Have some of their stuff and klim but most of my stuff if motorfist that I have picked up on screaming deals from their site.

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2018
Well I think after you look at bibs/jacket it's a wash with a onsie price wise. I'll try one on and see if iam sold. They just look kinda silly but iam pretty sure they must work really well or all of you wouldn't wear them lol. I'd never hear the end from my wife though! She thinks the atire is a bit much( she's from great falls lol) she don't like circle track lol. Do you guys wear insulated ones or just layer? I get cold easy and wonder if I should do that instead of so many layers

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Klim and Tobe make monosuits in basic black if you don't like splashy colours....I would put the Tobe up against the Klim no prob, they're both good and have a little different fit. If you come from the ski/board world you actually might prefer the Tobe style/fit....I do, even tho I own a Klim suit right now.

In anything this side of bitter cold temps....insulated will get warm pretty quick while riding or digging. If you run cold it might be a consideration...but I work at a dealer in big snow country BC and we sell basically 0 insulated men's pieces, whether coats or monosuits. That said it's not particularly cold here. That said, when it's cold (or you're cold), a lightweight down puffy underneath a non-insulated suit will out-perform an insulated suit anyways. So you can always ad, but it's hard to take away. The insulated would suck come spring to, if you want to ride some well-above-freezing mountain days.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I am going to buy a heated vest and start wearing it riding that way if it’s a cold ride home a guy could turn On heat. Has any one tried this.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have tried it all except won't buy a mono suite. My bibs zip to my jacket if I want that but the reality is I want to keep the jacket to wear by itself for shoveling snow or other outside activities after its sled life is past. I have done this several times over the years and often have passed the bibs down to my son too. I also like to be able to wear my jacket into a restaurant after sledding and not have the bibs on. Just way more practical.

Premium Features