• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expensive snowmobile clothes worth it?

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
I have tried it all except won't buy a mono suite. My bibs zip to my jacket if I want that but the reality is I want to keep the jacket to wear by itself for shoveling snow or other outside activities after its sled life is past. I have done this several times over the years and often have passed the bibs down to my son too. I also like to be able to wear my jacket into a restaurant after sledding and not have the bibs on. Just way more practical.

You will be converted. You are just stubborn like Papa Smurf!!

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Definitely worth it to purchase sled specific gear. The various manufacturers have put in sled specific features that those of us that have sledded for years have come to appreciate not to mention the more rugged materials, waterproofing, etc.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I suppose you either like it or you don’t. It’s my favourite piece of sled specific gear I own. BUT I also own multiple other winter pants/jacket combos for outdoor work, snowboarding, casual, whatever….the onesie is very specific to sledding and maybe GT snow racers with the kids lol. If you’re looking for it to fill multiple rolls, it’s definitely the wrong item.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I really like onesies, think this is my 6th season, 3rd one. All FXR, got them all on some sort of deal. I always look at the klim ones but cant bring myself to spend $8-900. I usually buy a pair or 2 of klim gloves, each year. I could take or leave my klim boots, but i really like BOA feature. I have a Klim F3 carbon helmet and i love it because of how light it is.

Ive had decent luck with the fxr onesies, my first one the inner suspenders started tearing, and i tore a leg on my polaris boards. But i gave them to a buddy and he wore them for another couple years. Second pair lasted 2 years and started to leak in the knees, 3rd pair is current pair, 3rd season, they are still in decent shape dont leak

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Jay and Ulose, Both of you have mentioned a high number of onesies in a relatively short period of time. My gear is usually used several years. This is an honest question as to why you both needed so many?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
When I was a kid one pieces were about all everyone had. A friend of my dads went off in the trees to go the bathroom and crapped in the back of it. When he flipped it back on, well you get it. A nickname like sh:t head sticks with a guy for a while. No oneses for me.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Jay and Ulose, Both of you have mentioned a high number of onesies in a relatively short period of time. My gear is usually used several years. This is an honest question as to why you both needed so many?
Honest answer - I get a pro deal on gear, so if I don’t trash it after a season I can sell it and try a different one for minimal $. That’s it, never ripped one yet.

Side note - I bought a Scott onesie for my 5 y/o this year and it is amazing for the little ones. Easy to put on, waterproof and he loves it. Highly recommend for sledding or any outdoor snow play…everyone that’s seen it wants one for their kids

Last edited:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
When I was a kid one pieces were about all everyone had. A friend of my dads went off in the trees to go the bathroom and crapped in the back of it. When he flipped it back on, well you get it. A nickname like sh:t head sticks with a guy for a while. No oneses for me.
I've heard similar stories - if this has happened to multiple people, it's worth consideration. Pretty easy to avoid with a separate jacket and bibs.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
keep in mind ski gear are made with the idea you can stop at the lodge at the bottom of the hill to warm up... warm up cabins may or may not be available when snowmobiling and reaching them is dependent upon weather and snow conditions.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Usually try to do my business before i go, never had to take a crap out riding

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
My first onsie was fine but it was like neon yellow and blue, the color got old and looked dirty fast- gave it away.

Second one is still a backup, still works fine

Third (current) i got when i bought my alpha and kinda matched my sled so i got it. I still use this one.

All have been FXR and were around $400 due to shopping around or BF deals. My next one i will probably get a klim. Klim feels like its higher quality to me than fxr

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Quality gear is worth the money. 100%.

I would recommend Klim. You can literally start the day in pouring rain and end the day dry.

I
Feb 23, 2021
Alberta Canada
We have a mix of 509, Tobe and Klim in our riding group and everyone likes what they wear. I ride with Tobe gear and find it extremely durable and waterproof. However, if another manufacturer has a color or style that I prefer, I would definitely check it out. When you buy higher end gear, every manufacturer has something that is designed and built well, it really comes down to preference. Lots of people like FXR, but to me it looks like we are all at a Nascar Race when I see it.

Premium Features