• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for new to me mountain sled advice

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
What years/model Doo would you look for?
I think the question is what years to avoid. The 17 had most problems but many guys that got their updates done had good results. Belt blowing, motor mounts, broken bulkheads etc. All first year model productions seem to have most problems. 08 Doo, 12 Cat, 12 Polaris, 16 Polaris, 17 Doo, 19 Polaris

N
Mar 13, 2011
I think the question is what years to avoid. The 17 had most problems but many guys that got their updates done had good results. Belt blowing, motor mounts, broken bulkheads etc. All first year model productions seem to have most problems. 08 Doo, 12 Cat, 12 Polaris, 16 Polaris, 17 Doo, 19 Polaris

Got a link to the write ups on the fixes for a 17 XM? I’m looking at a 17 850 XM T3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Problems with the 2017 doo's were specific to the new G4 platform, not the XM.

If you're looking at a T3 XM, it should be a solid sled, the XM debut was in 2013 so all the bugs were worked out and the 2015 and later versions are great sleds.

N
Mar 13, 2011
Problems with the 2017 doo's were specific to the new G4 platform, not the XM.

If you're looking at a T3 XM, it should be a solid sled, the XM debut was in 2013 so all the bugs were worked out and the 2015 and later versions are great sleds.

Hmm. I don’t know anything about them and why I’m asking. He says it’s a 2017 850 165 T3. Is there issues I should be aware of. He said it requires no work. It has 3900km and looks to be well taken care of. Again I’m just looking for a reliable machine to upgrade from my 2000RMK, for an amateur rider. Don’t feel I should buy new to crash. I am also spending more than a turbo sled again this year on medical treatment. So trying to keep my investment this year to under 10k with gear.

Last edited:
C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
Jumping in on this thread
Ive been out of loop for 10 years.
My last sled was a 900 king cat.

Old chassis and a bitch to side hill.
I am really wanting to take advantage of the technology updates and get a sidehill capable machine. Gonna be in the
Crested Butte area.
Any tips for finding the most capable boondocking sled?

Also curious about track length.
The kk had a 163, is longer still better for deep pow tree riding?

Is the alpha a nogo for sidehilling?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
The single rail wash out is not a significant problem on sidehill?
It's not too bad from my experience. Deeper snow it's fine, riding on hard pack it can be harder to manage. More comes down to throttle control, letting the track stick to the hill and not breaking traction by being too aggressive on the throttle.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Nailed it above, if you ride it on hard snow like every other sled you’ll struggle.
If you learn it has enough track connected to the hill to keep you where you want and enough throttle to spare you can back off the throttle and control it to go wherever you choose.

Deep Snow she goes places that surprise you.

N
Mar 13, 2011
Alphas kick ass at sidehilling.

The only down side I’ve seen is cracked and bent rails. Though that’s come down to guys I know doing wheelies and hitting something with just the end of rail, or landing on end of rail.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I see it more from guys running suspension too soft.

I have three sleds with Alpha rails, one is a conversion. I wheelie, jump drop and abuse them on shallow snow riding areas with no maintenance roads for access on my way to the local mtns.
All three are original rails, over 7500 miles combined.
Zero rail issues.
I have broken a chain case and a brake rotor slamming stumps and rocks.
I also weigh more than most everyone who will read this.

luck?

Ive read talk of guys bottoming out their Alphas, this is where I think most the damage comes from soft suspension.

Big as I am I’ve never bottomed any of mine out. My 15 I did quite often. I still have a great response from my suspension, never feel beat up from being too wound.

I know there’s plenty of broken rails, but FWIW I’ve replaced many broken twin rails over the years.

Now I’ll probably snap my single rail first ride this year…..

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
As said above the alpha will suprise on a sidehill and who are we kidding about hard snow nothing sidehills worth a Chit in that condition. As for the rail I agree with IDspud we have a lot of alphas and only one cracked rail. This guy is know for F N stuff up. We Jump a lot and nothing more than 40' and they hold up well.

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
There is an alpha 800 mountain cat local for sale, has the 155 track.
For Colorado boondocking, is this less than an ideal track.. My last cat had 163, but it was old chassis and sucked at side hilling in general. I would assume that the 163 would be a better choice for boondocking. But maybe I'm wrong? What is the perfect environment for the 155 track

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
There is an alpha 800 mountain cat local for sale, has the 155 track.
For Colorado boondocking, is this less than an ideal track.. My last cat had 163, but it was old chassis and sucked at side hilling in general. I would assume that the 163 would be a better choice for boondocking. But maybe I'm wrong? What is the perfect environment for the 155 track
I'm a big fan of the 163-5 tracks but we get a lot of deep days. IMO it gives you the ability to go slower and recover in a bad spot over the 153-4 tracks. I did see a lot of the 174 craz a few years back and then seen them all jump back to the short track 160is.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i ride a 163 MTn cat so very similar to the alpha and i wouldnt be afraid of the 154. on an older chassis i would stay with the longer track but with the upgrades on an 18 and newer cat its not a a necessity. ive ridden two alphas and didnt feel it road much different than my twin rail.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Any more thoughts on what sleds to look for or watch out for outside of the Polaris pro 800s.

How long do the Polaris pro 600s last?
don't be fooled the 800 polaris engine was great from 13 on up plus hands down best chasis on the snow i had a 09 m1000 positively the worst sled i ever owned NO engine problems but the chassis was not good ,steering terrible clutching a night mare went to a 11 pro and that sled would out climb the cat in any condition belts lasted forever and clutching was great. my point is there is a lot more to reliability than just the engine

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I wholeheartedly disagree with absolutely everything mtncat1 said above.

My 09 M1000 was pull and go for 4500 miles, I nearly cried when I sold it.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I wholeheartedly disagree with absolutely everything mtncat1 said above.

My 09 M1000 was pull and go for 4500 miles, I nearly cried when I sold it.
^^ My 2x 08 m1000's are still my fav!!! head cut, slp pipe and they are a turbo killer under 9k. a bit heavy but the low rpm torque was the biz! Mtncat1 was probably busy changing purse colors. ;) put 8K on one.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks all, ended up finding a 16’ M8000 153 sno pro with fox evol shocks with under 1000 original miles for $5k. May keep my eyes open for a 06-08 Polaris 600 or an arctic cat M6 or M7 as a wife sled or back up sled for me

Premium Features