• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'98 MSRX 700 Clutching Help

RedDeath

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
Rebuilding the clutches in a '98 Mountain SRX 700. Running at 1800', trail riding. Sheave bushing walked out, decided to rebuild clutches due to no history on them.
Current Setup:

8DN-00 weights, dissimilar rivets in each hole, total mass is 51g
14.5mm rollers
Hi Tech Encapsulated Roller secondary
48 Helix (suspected to be a Hauck)

Would run factory settings but it appears to have different mass in the weights and the ER & helix change from the stock Yamaha Red spring.
Looking for clutch springs suggestions for both primary and secondary. Old ones have paint marks worn off. Sled was only pulling 8100 rpm and had poor backshift, springs are atleast 10+ years old.

Thanks in advance.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
im planning on doing a p90 swap on mine. honestly. rollers alone through my local yamaha place cost as much as a used polaris or cat take off clutch. not impressed with yamaha clutches at all. I already converted mine to a tss04 secondary and playing with different helix. right now i am running more or less a factory 2012 polaris 600 rmk clutch set up for secondary. my gearing is 2.210 but i plan to gear it down a bit more as i am going to run an assault track on it this season. Also, those primary weights seem low. wanna say i am running 61 g but i can't remember off hand. will check soon!

RedDeath

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
Clarke, I thought of that idea as I'm a polaris guy and quite familiar with the team clutches (built an IQR). For rollers I'm just going to lathe down a set of team's that I have from cracked polaris secondary clutches (same ID as the Hi Tech rollers). Secondary bushing is also worn but changing that.

More of just trying to get the sled back to good riding shape. Rode awesome when it was first bought but hasnt been used much for the last 5 years or so. Don't really want to change the weights or helix, and trying to convert Yamaha's spring specs of KGF/MM to the standard lbs at 1.25" & 2.5" like the rest isnt working. I'm assuming it has a lot less spring weight in the primary to run the lighter weights, but who knows how well that worked.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Rebuilding the clutches in a '98 Mountain SRX 700. Running at 1800', trail riding. Sheave bushing walked out, decided to rebuild clutches due to no history on them.
Current Setup:

8DN-00 weights, dissimilar rivets in each hole, total mass is 51g
14.5mm rollers
Hi Tech Encapsulated Roller secondary
48 Helix (suspected to be a Hauck)

Would run factory settings but it appears to have different mass in the weights and the ER & helix change from the stock Yamaha Red spring.
Looking for clutch springs suggestions for both primary and secondary. Old ones have paint marks worn off. Sled was only pulling 8100 rpm and had poor backshift, springs are atleast 10+ years old.

Thanks in advance
Start with 2 new springs, hi tech roller secondary typically used a silver blue Polaris spring. You can also wind that spring tighter for a better back shift. Shift rpm should be 81 to 8200.

RedDeath

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
Start with 2 new springs, hi tech roller secondary typically used a silver blue Polaris spring. You can also wind that spring tighter for a better back shift. Shift rpm should be 81 to 8200.
Any idea of a ballpark primary spring weight to use with the 51g weights? I'm not familar with the Yamaha clutches. Otherwise, an spring and rivet setup to use the 8DN-00 weights.

Closest I've found was on TY was a 45-136KG primary, 8dn-00 with 4.5 in each hole.

Appreciate the help

Last edited:
Premium Features