• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHOT Swap to E-start

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
So I have a 2018 with SHOT. Sometimes it works, other days not so much. Can I unplug the Shot Ultra Capacitor module on the chaincase and add an electric start? Does ta shot sled even have the provisions needed for E start? (wiring, ring gear etc)

R
Nov 16, 2016
What a great question.
I do know that the 850 is (or was at one time) available with electric start -vs- the Shot System.

I wonder if the entire Stator system would require being changed out.

The Shot System is apparently similar to what Toyota did with the Prius hy-brid.
The stator system is also used as the engine starting device.

The 850 electric start system would require a 12 volt starter motor, a ring gear on the primary clutch, the solenoid switching system, a battery and a means of charging the battery.

It will be interesting to see what the techy guys have to say.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Would definitely spend the time to get the SHOT working reliably, something is not right. My SHOT has been 100% from day one so adding 30 pounds just to ignore the SHOT problem make no sense. Just my $.02.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
So I have a 2018 with SHOT. Sometimes it works, other days not so much. Can I unplug the Shot Ultra Capacitor module on the chaincase and add an electric start? Does ta shot sled even have the provisions needed for E start? (wiring, ring gear etc)
is it still under warranty? if so, that would be my first plan of action. other than that, it's gonna be expensive to add in the required parts that the Shot system eliminates.

I
Dec 21, 2016
What a great question.
I do know that the 850 is (or was at one time) available with electric start -vs- the Shot System.

I wonder if the entire Stator system would require being changed out.

The Shot System is apparently similar to what Toyota did with the Prius hy-brid.
The stator system is also used as the engine starting device.

The 850 electric start system would require a 12 volt starter motor, a ring gear on the primary clutch, the solenoid switching system, a battery and a means of charging the battery.

It will be interesting to see what the techy guys have to say.
The 850’s don’t have a ring gear on the primary.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
nope, warranty is expired. I took it in a couple times when it was in warranty over the shot starter tho. They never really did much. They applied "updates"
Sense the sled was taken to the dealer under warranty for the SHOT problem and it was never repaired despite taking it in twice, you should contact Ski Doo directly and plead your case. Your dealer should do this but sadly there are dealers that treat customers right.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Well, 30# is ballparking WAY on the high side...

Besides, you would be eliminating the cap bank - which very well may be similar weight to the battery?

And the starter's don't weigh THAT much.
I just tossed a starter for a Zx on the scale, and it comes up @ 4.92# with the long bolt incl.
I doubt that the one for the 850 is all that much different, but I'm not pulling one off to toss it on the scale.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
the entire SHOT system weighs 2 lbs.
the components are just the supercapacitor and the wires that go to the engine, ecu, and start button,

I
Dec 21, 2016
That's why I suggested that you may need to add the ring gear if you did go to electric start.

I sure hope that my Shot System works without any issues.

Okay, but 850’s still don’t use ring gears on the primaries, even with electric start models. Do ya see the threaded holes or even bosses for them on the back of the fixed sheave?

I
Dec 21, 2016
The microfiche' doesn't distinguish whether or not the SHOT equipped stators have a ring gear or not.

I’m fairly sure it’s on the flywheel on the 850 & 600r. I would think they’d use the same components for simplicity, but who knows.

R
Nov 16, 2016
the entire SHOT system weighs 2 lbs.
the components are just the supercapacitor and the wires that go to the engine, ecu, and start button,
I would think that the entire Shot system would weigh more than 2 lb.

As I understand it, the Shot System is much more than just the capacitor.
Similar to the Toyota Prius, the Stator system has been redesigned to also provide Motor Action when in start mode.
This can't help but to make the stator system a bit larger and heavier.

I could be wrong!

Ox said:
The microfiche' doesn't distinguish whether or not the SHOT equipped stators have a ring gear or not.

If equipped with a ring gear, or if simply equipped the threaded holes for a ring gear, this would be on the interior side of the Primary clutch, not on the Stator.
Yes/No???

R
Nov 16, 2016
Okay, but 850’s still don’t use ring gears on the primaries, even with electric start models. Do ya see the threaded holes or even bosses for them on the back of the fixed sheave?

OK.... if you were to order an 850 with the conventional Battery/Electric Start system in lieu of the Shot System, where then is the ring gear attached?

I
Dec 21, 2016
OK.... if you were to order an 850 with the conventional Battery/Electric Start system in lieu of the Shot System, where then is the ring gear attached?
Be resourceful, man- if you can ask here, you can search on Google. It's on the flywheel, not the primary.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I pulled the “2lb” weight for the system off of SkiDoo’s website. This site goes into some detail:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
The ring gear is part of the rotor assy - or what he is refering to as the flywheel.
I imagine that it is integral to the rotor it'self, and not a bolt-on addition.
The fiche does not show it as a separate part, and it does not show a pic of a SHOT rotor - only lists it as a different number

1609083745325.png

6420864431Magneto Flywheel. Except Shot Engine$644.99 CAD
Legend
Available
6420864435Magneto Flywheel. Shot Engine$644.99 CAD
Legend
Available

Premium Features