• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket handlebars

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
Looking for reviews on aftermarket handlebars. I am not a big fan of the protapers. They seem to put some strain on the elbows. Coming back to Polaris after a year on the Alpha and I really like the bars on the cat. Hate the hooks on the protapers as well. They always get catch the crotch strap on my Avy backpack. Thanks

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
If I don't hate the protapers, I to don't like them.. Want straighter bars, so I went with iqr bars and an adjustable riser.
Cut the bent section of for a bit narrower feel.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
A fairly inexpensive upgrade is the Fly Next Level Bars? I've ran them on the last three sleds and their a little better then the Pro Tapers. The bar angle or pull back is a little different plus I cut about 3/4" off each of the bar ends to bring my hands a tick inward. This cut seems to help with the little annoying pull / strain I sometimes get in my back by my shoulder blades.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I hereby gently request a handlebar manufacturer to make a 5 degree up/5 degree back model. The bend is sooo comfy.
Thank you,
Kanedog

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Most mx bar manufacturers make bars in numerous atv bends which heightwise may be similar to sleds. May be worth looking into some atv bend bars? Renthal, pro taper, Mika, prob some others make atv bend bars

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Looking for reviews on aftermarket handlebars. I am not a big fan of the protapers. They seem to put some strain on the elbows. Coming back to Polaris after a year on the Alpha and I really like the bars on the cat. Hate the hooks on the protapers as well. They always get catch the crotch strap on my Avy backpack. Thanks

You can easily take the hooks off if you don't like them.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I have the NXT LVL bars on my "summertime snowmobile" and really like the bend on them. More comfortable and flatter than the Pro Tapers.
226b56230748f2b38137c9597b35c3c2.jpg

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
You can easily take the hooks off if you don't like them.
I used to twist them more forward. When switching sled with my buddy this year I got caught by them a few times. Probably ditching the bars right off the bat. The ergos aren't the most comfortable for me. I have 5 seasons on the protapers. I don't think there bad. I just find the cat bar shape was alot easier on the arms. Looking to get something with a similar feel.

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I haven’t but I think they are close to the Polaris pro taper with Chris’s personal preference built in.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Been following this thread. I'm looking for new bars also. Has anyone tried the Brown Bars? Have some real world riding? Fatdogx You spoke about cutting down the Next Level bar? I get that shoulder pinch pain discomfort whatever. I have tried 7" 5" still have it. How differnt is the pullback on the Next Bar from the Pro Taper? finding the Pro Taper specs is a hard find. I also heard that Next Bars are weak and bend easy has anyone seen that? I was hopping to get to some shows this year to try some out with the cancels, haven't made one. So looking for some more options before pulling the trigger.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Surly Sunrise bars.

cromoly mtn bike bars, hand warmers get super hot, about a 2.5” rise.

I combined with a 2” fly riser / clamp combo to eliminate the cast aluminum 1980’s polaris bar clamp.

i’m 6’2” and the setup is great.

they come 2” wider than stock so you can cut to desired width.

i used spacers inside the bar to keep my hooks.B99E0603-DA70-4843-A59F-FC1D8B680688.jpeg6852FDCA-3D8F-4D34-ADA4-2217994F4A24.jpeg

Last edited:
S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
CFR Munster bars (1" rise) and 29" wide
2" riser

seems short .. but once you get into the trees you're going to love it . i"m 5'7"

on my wife's sled I'm trying something different .. skidoo 1 1/8 X bars (from the XM chassis) straight mounted to the stem using fat bar adaptors ... those have about a 3" rise built in maybe a bit lower . i'll take a pic when I get them mounted.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Been following this thread. I'm looking for new bars also. Has anyone tried the Brown Bars? Have some real world riding? Fatdogx You spoke about cutting down the Next Level bar? I get that shoulder pinch pain discomfort whatever. I have tried 7" 5" still have it. How differnt is the pullback on the Next Bar from the Pro Taper? finding the Pro Taper specs is a hard find. I also heard that Next Bars are weak and bend easy has anyone seen that? I was hopping to get to some shows this year to try some out with the cancels, haven't made one. So looking for some more options before pulling the trigger.

Yup, cutting each end of the Next Level Fly bars does tend to help with shoulder pinch, I've done it and I have heard of others doing it. I typically cut about 3/4" off each end, which brings brings your hands / arms just ever so slightly closer to each other.

The "pull back" on the Next Level bars are basically less pull back and are a tick straighter. If you do a search on here, you should come across a thread where I have comparisons between the stock Pro Taper and the Fly Next Level Bars.

As far as the Next Level Bars being "weak" I really cannot comment on that??? I've had about 4 sets and never had an issue.

This year, I'm going to try the stock Pro Taper "low" bars for the first trip or two and give them a try. If I don't like them, I'll probably being going with another set of Next Level Bars.

T
Nov 11, 2008
Anyone ran the CFR Chris Brown Bars ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the CFR CB’s for a few seasons. I had previously ran Stock mid and low, Dan Adam’s NxtLvl Fly bars, and Burandt RSI.

The CB’s do not have as much pull back as the stock bars. It’s noticeably less sweep. The Dan Adam’s and CFR CB’s are almost identical.

The factory stock low, CB’s and Adam’s are all a 5” rise bar. The Burandt’s are a little lower by 1/2”.

I haven’t seen the pullback/sweep on the new Burandt 4” bars.

I run a 4” protaper with the same pullback as stock.

This is the CB’s (top), RSI (middle) and stock (bottom) pullback.

IMG_6194.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Thanks for posting that. I was going to do some compraions at shows this year. Was hoping to hope on some display sleds and feel them out and make a choice. The information in this thread has helped out, just need to make a choice or do nothing not sure yet.

Premium Features