• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot Owners- Poll Failure or Not

Has Your 850 Failed. Vote multiple times if you have multiple 850s

• No

Votes: 341 81.2%
  • Yes, Top End

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Yes, Bottom End

Votes: 61 14.5%

• Total voters
S
Jan 12, 2011
1500 and top end shot ?

HATE to burst anyones bubble but I have 2100 miles, 72 hrs., and running stronger than ever,same rpm 8150- 8200. same compression 130lbs with my gauge, as it did at 500 miles. 115 mph then 115mph now, on dreameter. Pulling 17-18 mpg, 210 miles to a quart of oil,on good trails, fairly easy on the flipper, never fouled a plug, started every time, just changed plugs, after full throttle run,nice light brown color with very little carbon. DONT think for a minute that I baby this sled, .the flipper spends a lot of time pinned. 55 years of riding my own sled,100,000 miles,i should know a little about sleds. 72 years young and still love sledding.Ill probably be putting on 500 miles on a 3 day weekend the rest of the year,probably into april, ill let you guys know if the top end wears out. STAN

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
HATE to burst anyones bubble but I have 2100 miles, 72 hrs., and running stronger than ever,same rpm 8150- 8200. same compression 130lbs with my gauge, as it did at 500 miles. 115 mph then 115mph now, on dreameter. Pulling 17-18 mpg, 210 miles to a quart of oil,on good trails, fairly easy on the flipper, never fouled a plug, started every time, just changed plugs, after full throttle run,nice light brown color with very little carbon. DONT think for a minute that I baby this sled, .the flipper spends a lot of time pinned. 55 years of riding my own sled,100,000 miles,i should know a little about sleds. 72 years young and still love sledding.Ill probably be putting on 500 miles on a 3 day weekend the rest of the year,probably into april, ill let you guys know if the top end wears out. STAN

Some people smoke all their lives and live to be 100...it happens but rare...guess you are a lucky one

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Originally Posted by STAN FARR View Post
Some people smoke all their lives and live to be 100...it happens but rare...guess you are a lucky one

did you actually read his post? a little much for a first timer but still funny

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com

That is some kind of first post !! 17 to 18 miles per gallon ! That's damn near 200 miles to a tank :face-icon-small-sho WOW !!

And if that's all true .... Very awesome !! It would mean if everything was correct in the motor there is great hope.

As I have said of and over I do love the motor I just hate the mistakes.

Stan, tell me where you are going riding this week end for 500 miles ?

Still funny ! LOL !! Post is a stretch...... Average 29 miles per hour ..... Not a lot of warm up time.

I would love to believe you.

Dan

Last edited:
H
Oct 16, 2010
That is some kind of first post !! 17 to 18 miles per gallon ! That's damn near 200 miles to a tank :face-icon-small-sho WOW !!

And if that's all true .... Very awesome !! It would mean if everything was correct in the motor there is great hope.

Still funny ! LOL !! Post is a stretch...... Average 29 miles per hour ..... Not a lot of warm up time.

Dan

Wife and I have done 300 miles in a day in the Val d’or and laurentians areas. That part is very plausible but my mileage is generally far worse on an 800 etec as we cruise at 80+ mph for a good portion of that. Wife’s oil light on her 600 carb is on by end of day. Wouldn’t do those kind of tours unless I knew I was on dead nuts reliable equipment as for the most part the areas are remote. Have to carefully plan gas stops and check ahead to ensure those relais are actually open this season. Never measured exactly but both sleds will gulp a full gallon of oil by end of day.

Just like the dragons I’m sure some will stay together but for right now I think the jury is still out and my money will be going to another doo next season. I love the chassis, ergos, etc, just don’t have faith in the power plant yet for long tours. I also modify port or bore my sleds and that leaves me even more skeptical as my desire is to buy 1 or 2 years old to allow someone else to take the hit and have no warranty, mods and warranty don’t mix, Reliability and mods do

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Wife and I have done 300 miles in a day in the Val d’or and laurentians areas. That part is very plausible but my mileage is generally far worse on an 800 etec as we cruise at 80+ mph for a good portion of that. Wife’s oil light on her 600 carb is on by end of day. Wouldn’t do those kind of tours unless I knew I was on dead nuts reliable equipment as for the most part the areas are remote. Have to carefully plan gas stops and check ahead to ensure those relais are actually open this season. Never measured exactly but both sleds will gulp a full gallon of oil by end of day.

Just like the dragons I’m sure some will stay together but for right now I think the jury is still out and my money will be going to another doo next season. I love the chassis, ergos, etc, just don’t have faith in the power plant yet for long tours. I also modify port or bore my sleds and that leaves me even more skeptical as my desire is to buy 1 or 2 years old to allow someone else to take the hit and have no warranty, mods and warranty don’t mix, Reliability and mods do

Yeah dependability is a really big deal for a lot of people that ride remote areas it's no laughing matter if they break down.

With the new electrical system on the 850 I had big hopes so a truely dependable package.

As for porting...... Years ago I was all in on porting but I would touch a new Polaris 800 or 850 with a porting tool.

I would just hand roll all cylinder ports with a sanding roll to make sure they don't hook a ring prematurely.

With a just few small ( as you say MODS ) for dependability I think the 850 is going to be very dependable.

Unfortunately I think the consumer is going to have to take it into their owns hands to it there on the 2019 model year...... Or there will be a haunting feeling in the back of your head.

My 2 cents.

Dan

D
May 24, 2012
That is some kind of first post !! 17 to 18 miles per gallon ! That's damn near 200 miles to a tank WOW !!

Dan

How much compression can you expect out of the Patriot at your shop elevation, 150? At 130 psi he might me a few thousand in elevation. Some gauges don't do well to hold/record the highest reading. You can see this with the needle flutter. Others have a hose that holds too much volume to get an accurate reading from a two stroke.

17-18 mpg @ 210 miles to a quart is spot on for oil migration and power to cc. My cheat sheet shows 17.5 mph @ 212 which is a 48:1 average. To me this is encouraging. It sure beats some of the high miles per quart we used to see from Polaris and Ski-Doo back in 2006 when they were cheating on oil to meet the first EPA round.

29 mph average is 5000 miles in 172 hours. I figure the average for trail riding is around 5000 @ 300 hours. It's doesn't compare to 80 miles per tank of gas in deep snow, but it sounds good for a trail rider with higher than average trail speeds and a moderate amount of wot time.

Plug fouling is normal for the first Polaris sled using idle air holes in the throttle plates. Maybe the design phase began 4.5 years ago, but it still needs to be developed with some more field testing. Arctic Cat was changing the mapping on their C-TEC2 600 to the very end prior to its release, at times more than once a day. Sure it works, but what are the conditions that it does not work? Is it easy to account for the fuel surge from repeated Braaaap-Braaaap-Braaaap ??? lol For all I know it could also be in part an electrical surge causing a temporary no spark.

Like you said in another post, things like the electrical upgrade is a major improvement. Fuel pressure monitoring? That is amazing! I expect much from the Patriot once the development phase has been completed. For the 80 miles per tank (gas) riders I don't think it will have a long life with an aggressive cylinder. It seems for 2019 that Ski-Doo dropped their break-in time on the 850 for those who ride them under heavier loads. I wonder what Ski-Doo changed to cut it down? Maybe you will need to find some to take apart.

I enjoy what you are doing with keeping Polaris accountable. It sure is easier to adjust/mod a good working sled than having to work on a problem child.

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada

If the flipper stayed Pinned as you are saying your average speed would not be 29 mph at 17-18 mpg lol. Nice story though it's almost believable. :juggle:

D
May 24, 2012
Pulling 17-18 mpg, 210 miles to a quart of oil,on good trails, fairly easy on the flipper.

What Stan said was accurate. Those are the numbers he got being "fairly easy on the flipper". Overall he does not baby his sled.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Pulling 17-18 mpg, 210 miles to a quart of oil,on good trails, fairly easy on the flipper.

What Stan said was accurate. Those are the numbers he got being "fairly easy on the flipper". Overall he does not baby his sled.

Someone who says this

"DONT think for a minute that I baby this sled, .the flipper spends a lot of time pinned."

Isn't averaging 30 mph on the trails. Give it up already, you just make yourself look worse and worse every time you post.

D
May 24, 2012
Someone who says this

"DONT think for a minute that I baby this sled, .the flipper spends a lot of time pinned."

Isn't averaging 30 mph on the trails. Give it up already, you just make yourself look worse and worse every time you post.

I am not the one dissing another member. Stan is nearly twice your age and you still cannot treat him with any kind of respect. You leave a trail of this behavior in every forum you touch and that goes beyond sled forums. I noticed the members on HCS don't let you get away with it either.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
I am not the one dissing another member. Stan is nearly twice your age and you still cannot treat him with any kind of respect. You leave a trail of this behavior in every forum you touch and that goes beyond sled forums. I noticed the members on HCS don't let you get away with it either.

Age is has nothing to do with this, just as you wish to be seen as an elder on any forum posting regurgitated information. Get out there and do it for yourself before posting. I am sure we can reference the 1000 SDI here somewhere give it a shot. :violin:

Stan's post contradicts its self twice, maybe reading and comprehension are not strong points for some from the South shore.

B
Jan 31, 2019
First post, I'll start off by I think Dan is awesome, There's no substitute for experience. Yea i got an 850, Yea i think its great, but only 15 hrs on it. I put a Titanium exhaust can on it and shed 15 lbs off of it. After having four other assaults I'm very happy but time will tell. We will know a lot more come April for sure.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
If the flipper stayed Pinned as you are saying your average speed would not be 29 mph at 17-18 mpg lol. Nice story though it's almost believable. :juggle:

U have to take in to account warm up time, time in line at the gas station and so on. I'm averging 10 mph when u figure miles to hours on my rmk

D
May 24, 2012
Age is has nothing to do with this, just as you wish to be seen as an elder on any forum posting regurgitated information. Get out there and do it for yourself before posting. I am sure we can reference the 1000 SDI here somewhere give it a shot. :violin:
Stan's post contradicts its self twice, maybe reading and comprehension are not strong points for some from the South shore.

55 years of riding my own sled, 100,000 miles, i should know a little about sleds.

72 years young and still love sledding.

Ill probably be putting on 500 miles on a 3 day weekend the rest of the year, probably into april

I see no trouble with Stan's post. What possible reason can you have to beat up on a honest guy with over 30 more years of riding experience before you were even born? And who cares if he puts 500 miles in 3 days??? Are you the new riding police?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
55 years of riding my own sled, 100,000 miles, i should know a little about sleds.

72 years young and still love sledding.

Ill probably be putting on 500 miles on a 3 day weekend the rest of the year, probably into april

I see no trouble with Stan's post. What possible reason can you have to beat up on a honest guy with over 30 more years of riding experience before you were even born? And who cares if he puts 500 miles in 3 days??? Are you the new riding police?

Nope I am the don't post BS Police and will call out anyone who does. Carry on with parakeeting. Can you maybe list all the similarities between the 850 Patriot and 1000 SDI we know you want to. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features