• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Towing inline 29' with Acadia

Frosted Flakes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
Most corrupt state in the union
Alright, flame all you want, but I need to know if any of you tried or are currently doing it. I will have a new tow rig down the road, just trying to make do with what I got now.

Acadia has 5200# towing capacity, am I pushing it? It does have the towing package with extra coolers for tranny and power steering.

Trailers I'm looking at are 2300# curb weight.

This is not a mountain rig, I know that, but a flatlander who travel north to the steep and deep of the UP! LOL!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I think your crazy. 29' is a big sail in the wind, doesnt make any difference if its inline or not. Its going to try and push you all over the place with any side wind. The vehicle is just too light, it doesnt even have a frame under it. Its pretty much a car / mini-van with a bigger body.

If your going to do it anyway.... Make sure the trailer brakes work perfect, you have a weight distribution hitch installed and adjusted correctly, and a anti sway bar on the hitch.

N

Nick568

Feb 17, 2011
I towed with a crossover for a couple years and actually think it's really not a bad way to go, depending on the situation.

But 29'? Yeah... I also think you're crazy, OP. Personally I wouldn't go over 16' box. So like a 21' trailer max? Even that I think is pushing it. My preferred setup for the Acadia and an enclosed would be a short-V 14' tandem deckover. A 12' short-V single axle may be a better fit than the tandem for that TV though.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
It would work ok if u are always on dry roads. I still wouldn't ever pull a 20' trailer with a Acadia on dry roads. If u get some ice and a nice cross wind u will be in the ditch or even worse on your side. Don't you have a friend that could pull your trailer?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Frosted Flakes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
This is just a temporary arrangement. Maybe the rest of this season until I find and save for a bigger truck. Ideally a 3500 is where I’m going. I just asked because I’ve seen 24’ campers being pulled by SUV’s all the time, talk about a kite in the wind.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
This is just a temporary arrangement. Maybe the rest of this season until I find and save for a bigger truck. Ideally a 3500 is where I’m going. I just asked because I’ve seen 24’ campers being pulled by SUV’s all the time, talk about a kite in the wind.
I have seen this done too but no way would I put my wife and kids in a small SUV pulling a 24' camper.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Years ago, I pulled a 29x7 Steel frame triple axle empty with a Grand Cherokee, just to see how it would handle it.
This was summertime dry pavement.
Equalizer hitch was an absolute must.
Drove ok, but I would advise against it.
Anything that goes less than perfect will turn this into a sh!tshow instantly.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
The size of the sail almost matters as much as the weight. Tow ratings, as far as I know, are calculated based upon flatbed trailers. I wish the manufacturers would agree upon standard test methods which were discussed 5 years ago or so.

I would not tow more than a few hundred miles, IF, the roads are dry and very little wind.

I have a 14’ v nose, 7’ wide, 6.5’ inside height aluminum cargo trailer and would not consider pulling it out of the county with our Grand Cherokee which has a 5000 tow rating. My trailer is supposed to have an 1850 or so curb weight.

Last edited:

Frosted Flakes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
It would work ok if u are always on dry roads. I still wouldn't ever pull a 20' trailer with a Acadia on dry roads. If u get some ice and a nice cross wind u will be in the ditch or even worse on your side. Don't you have a friend that could pull your trailer?

That’s the problem, everyone has either gotten out because of crappy winters or downsized in vechiles. I use to have a 2500HD, got rid of it because it started to nickel and dime me to death.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Had a bro tow a 28’ w an expedition. Did it for about six years. Trailer was a featherlight. Little different I know as the expedition has a truck frame.
Had a distribution hitch as well.
This was in the mountains.
I have to say I was fairly impressed at how well it did. (He was not nice to it)
It would walk the back end occasionally but not unmanageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I have a 29’ in-line that I tow with a 3500 srw diesel and a good cross wind with slick roads isn’t that fun sometimes. With a trailer that long I don’t think I’d chance it unless your really careful, good roads only or 30 mph is what will happen. Of course you could always throw sandbags in the back, chain up the tires and be ready for anything!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I have a 29 foot inline and it normally gets pulled with my Ford F250. I also have a F150 and I have pulled the same trailer with that pickup and yes it works but I personally don't care for using it unless its just a short trip.

Now stick an Acadia on the front pulling it, and I would say no thank you. This would be for a few reasons.

From a F150 to a F250 there is quite a bit of difference with pulling and I cannot imagine the difference to an Acadia. There's just no weight there to stabilize and control that trailer. The right wind comes up and it pushes a 3/4 ton around at times, it can throw a 1/2 ton around and would really mess with a smaller vehicle. Now add in icy road conditions with bad weather......no thanks.

I'm sure it would pull it, but pulling it and controlling it while your going down the road are two different things.

Plus, I think running an Acadia that distance with that kind of load, you may be opening the door for more mechanic issues for that vehicle.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, those Acadia numbers, 5200, are for the V6 Limited with OEM trailer package. With tongue weight of at least 500lbs, and more likely 750 loaded, buddies, and gear, you've likely surpassed the max GVWR or RGVWR. Wouldn't do it without a Yukon XL or bigger for an enclosed over 17. You will get seriously sketchy roads in the UP.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
Dude don’t do it, you’re going to kill someone. I drive these roads a lot and know them very well.

It’s questions like this that give Illinoisians the name F.I.B. and F.I.S.H.T.A.B.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I’ve pulled my 26’ in-line with a ccsb f150, rcsb f150 and a cclb f350. The f150’s handled it just fine - and around town I’ll grab an f150 to move the trailer no problem. But hopping on the freeway pulling at 65-75 it gets some sway. I can only imagine how scary an Arcadia would be.

Premium Features