• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belts blown count

B
Oct 22, 2014
SASK
154 3''

700 miles original belt
felt removed and cover cut and drilled
still gets very warm

installing sled head racing adjustable ramps for dual elevation and black spring today :thumb:

A
Jan 4, 2011
Just blew first belt at 475 miles. All season been riding 8500-11000' mostly deep over hood powder with long WOT pulls. Yesterday was first over 50mph on trail and blew belt, along with another Gen4 first belt at 525mi. Belts last longer on my XM174 Turbo than on stock Gen4.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Rode chest deep snow last week, out with a few g4s, we learned a few things from t3s and Xm with us..

Some g4s primary's runs 40 degrees cooler than other g4s, some are belt burners and less efficient than others.. same pull and compare with heat gun..

We took two G4 primary's that were at 8000 rpm and dropped clickers from 3 to 1 to drop rpm, but instead rpm stayed the same, and better track speed seen.. confusing to what we been told

comparing to a 16 174 stock t3, I could make a strong line. Then. Jump on. G4 and try in do same line.. it seamed to not jump on deep snow as well, like skid was hurting its performance and making it trench and squirly, t3 was more pull For me felt more stable in those conditions and allowed more control.. skis were much better held on snow with t3 and I felt more comfortable, G4 more of a ballencing act, side Hills less effort on G4, but t3 more stable when on a line and to keep there

One G4 is now on his third belt and still not off break in, second G4 is 600 miles and 1st belt.. is this new pdrive as efficient as doo says!!

We did a few Grommer trail hard PAC races on way back to trucks and both the 13xm and t3 would easily put two sled lengths on the g4s.. even more prefound doing at 30mph starts

G4s on two of the days ran out of fuel where others still had sufficient fuel, one even ran out with jerry can added and under 50 miles total, oil consumption was double over etec

G4s rev quicker, take over all less rider and eaisier control in most situations, but not sure the extra 10 hp are making it to the snow..

My two cents found

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
0 belts. 750 miles about 1/8 of those in the throttle, on hills or deep snow.
Clutch never been hot.
rides from 2K up to 9K
7K and above clicker 3. Below that on #2
Slight over rev in both conditions, but has never swung over 8200
Seems to overshoot a bit on first grab of the flipper, then settles back down to 79-8000
Negligible belt dust, and still on the one that came with sled.
Clutch cover stock, other than removing the felt sound barrier from the inside. ( I did tape up the open holes after removal)
Most of the foam removed.

Best sled ever owned IMHO:face-icon-small-ton

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
How many have noticed the fixed sheave is not pressed on the steel clutch shaft all the way. The sled I looked at had a weird mark on the belt and this is what i noticed. Not all 850 we looked at had the issue.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
0 belts. 750 miles about 1/8 of those in the throttle, on hills or deep snow.
Clutch never been hot.
rides from 2K up to 9K
7K and above clicker 3. Below that on #2
Slight over rev in both conditions, but has never swung over 8200
Seems to overshoot a bit on first grab of the flipper, then settles back down to 79-8000
Negligible belt dust, and still on the one that came with sled.
Clutch cover stock, other than removing the felt sound barrier from the inside. ( I did tape up the open holes after removal)
Most of the foam removed.

Best sled ever owned IMHO:face-icon-small-ton

The lower Your clicker position the worse the overshoot will be and your sled will not pull as good. Clicker 3 is the sweet spot. The clicker testing we did only revealed very small increase in the loaded max rpm on a pull.

N
Oct 25, 2009
How many have noticed the fixed sheave is not pressed on the steel clutch shaft all the way. The sled I looked at had a weird mark on the belt and this is what i noticed. Not all 850 we looked at had the issue.
interesting, can you elaborate more on that ?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
interesting, can you elaborate more on that ?

Take your belt off and run your finger down the fixed sheave down to the steel shaft. You will notice the steel shaft may protrude farther than the aluminum sheave.
The only way i noticed it was, after doing a sec spring change I was inspecting the belt and noticed a weird grove on the engine side of the belt. The belt will only run in that area during engagement. I wish I had taken photos cause it was not my sled.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
how did you work it over?
specs please

417127039 doo secondary spring
150/350 primary spring
17 grams pin weight

It works good and pulls super hard but the clutches still run to hot, although they are much cooler than before. I'm trying a set of adjustable tip weights from sledhead next, along with the engine mount shim. Some people are gearing them down but that's just a bandaid IMO.

Polaris sleds are geared 20% higher and they do good with it so I think it's 1 of two things.

1. Clutches out of alignment or
2. The primary weights are the wrong shape and need a LOT more tip weight.

That's just my opinion.

Premium Features