• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest magazine: Yamaha 2017: Everything You Need to Know About the Sidewinder M-TX

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Seemed like a good reason to let you know I disagreed with your comment.

you mite want to reread his post there chris he was just quoting.

::QUOTE=K45;3946862]Since we are calling names now:
Nice story Dumbass. Keep telling that to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Wow, this should be interesting!!

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Ya this^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!
I was only quoting k45 on post #52. Those were not my words!!! I simply meant that calling the forum webmaster a dumba$$ was not a smart move and would probably get interesting.

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Saw a couple of them at the sneak peak the other night. The engine tech is pretty cool however, the chassis already looks dated next to the Axys and the new REV Gen 4. The side panels are super wide like a bubble and the overall feel seems low and heavy. Not sure why the seat needs to be so big either. Looks like you could seat 3 people on it. I think Cat was so embarrassed they didn't even show up for the sneak peak.

M
Jan 14, 2004
There's no doubt the engine tech etc. is top notch but its never been about the engine, they've always been great, they are just getting more refined. I absolutely loved my turbo RX1 and there will never be another sled made that sounds like one of those did. After I did the Impulse mid mount conversion on it, it was insane. It would climb anything you pointed it at. When you ride a sled like that you need to be pointed exactly where you want to go before you hit the flipper because you'll be there sooner than you think. Same thing with my Nytro and Nypex, each one more refined than the next but the common denominator being even with all the lightweight crap is they are all tanks with great engines.

M5

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
GUYS! Set up your Viper correctly first before you cry heavy. The Viper MTX and XTX came with a 110 pound spring in the front skid shock. Even the trail Vipers came with a 135 pound spring, and those of you with chassis experience know most front skid shocks run 160 or 180 pound spring. Riding a Viper with stock spring makes it feel like riding an Apex and putting a turbo on a sled with NO weight transfer makes it worse.

Christopher had a bad experience with turbo and chassis so I get it. But those of you that still have Vipers should spend the paltry sum for a spring before you lose big on your investment!

I stopped by Silverthorne Yamaha last Saturday and had the guys come out and lift the skis off the ground on my Viper and they were amazed. How can this spring thing be a big secret even dealers do not seem to know???

Think I am kidding? Look up the spring number on the online microfiche and google the spring rate. Yep a shock valved for a 180 spring has a 110 spring on it..............

My friend who has a new Doo and his wife has last years Doo rode my 285hp Viper and they loved it. Scared them both when they rode it, as soon as the skis get high enough you cant see in front of you it gets FUN! Doo is too tame, ok for girls sled though as it is so predictable but I like my sleds a little on the wild side.

Ok my point here is a stock Viper DOES feel like a heavy turd. FIX IT! PM me here and I will give you my phone number and I will help you if you wish. MY viper dances just like the 2014 M8 I replaced it with but that is miles from how it was stock. $80.00 spring from ZBROZ and done!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
But that has NOTHING at all to do with my Viper itself.
I LOVED the way she rode compared to my Nytros!

Understood, but if I remember right you replaced pretty much the entire suspension which would mean LOTS of testing to get it right. Plenty of frustration there to go with turbo issues you had. My point was your experience may differ from mine.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
GUYS! Set up your Viper correctly first before you cry heavy. The Viper MTX and XTX came with a 110 pound spring in the front skid shock. Even the trail Vipers came with a 135 pound spring, and those of you with chassis experience know most front skid shocks run 160 or 180 pound spring. Riding a Viper with stock spring makes it feel like riding an Apex and putting a turbo on a sled with NO weight transfer makes it worse.

Christopher had a bad experience with turbo and chassis so I get it. But those of you that still have Vipers should spend the paltry sum for a spring before you lose big on your investment!

I stopped by Silverthorne Yamaha last Saturday and had the guys come out and lift the skis off the ground on my Viper and they were amazed. How can this spring thing be a big secret even dealers do not seem to know???

Think I am kidding? Look up the spring number on the online microfiche and google the spring rate. Yep a shock valved for a 180 spring has a 110 spring on it..............

My friend who has a new Doo and his wife has last years Doo rode my 285hp Viper and they loved it. Scared them both when they rode it, as soon as the skis get high enough you cant see in front of you it gets FUN! Doo is too tame, ok for girls sled though as it is so predictable but I like my sleds a little on the wild side.

Ok my point here is a stock Viper DOES feel like a heavy turd. FIX IT! PM me here and I will give you my phone number and I will help you if you wish. MY viper dances just like the 2014 M8 I replaced it with but that is miles from how it was stock. $80.00 spring from ZBROZ and done!

Not trying to discredit you at all. But you are coming from a Nytro. I've done everything you said to do with my viper. It has helped a lot. I love the sled. But it is still too heavy.. my old Pro was powerless but so nice to ride. It's give or take. I think soon they will have 2 stroke turbos figured out.. then I'm out.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Not trying to discredit you at all. But you are coming from a Nytro. I've done everything you said to do with my viper. It has helped a lot. I love the sled. But it is still too heavy.. my old Pro was powerless but so nice to ride. It's give or take. I think soon they will have 2 stroke turbos figured out.. then I'm out.

Actually my last sled before the Viper was a 2014 M8. Not discounting what you are saying but heavy is a relative term, and the spring mod made my Viper dance like the M8. If you consider the M8 heavy then yes.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Understood, but if I remember right you replaced pretty much the entire suspension which would mean LOTS of testing to get it right. Plenty of frustration there to go with turbo issues you had. My point was your experience may differ from mine.
Ahh
You are thinking of my NYTRO.
I replaced 100% of the suspension on that sled.
The Viper is BONE STOCK other than the EVOP Turbo.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Actually my last sled before the Viper was a 2014 M8. Not discounting what you are saying but heavy is a relative term, and the spring mod made my Viper dance like the M8. If you consider the M8 heavy then yes.

Yes, sorry.. I forgot about that sled.

I guess I shouldn't say "heavy" I really don't care what number they put on them.. Its the ease of maneuvering in tight situations is what I'm referring to. No doubt about it they require a lot more body English to get around than its 2 stroke counterparts.

Again, I love this sled.. I'm planning on installing a 36 inch front suspension set up next year. Which I think will be the ultimate mod for this sled. Not sure what brand I'm going with yet.. Would love to give the forward a-arm style kits a try.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Stingray, Do you think the front skid spring going to need to be replaced on the sidewinder as well. Or is it an air shock?

As they have fixed some other suspension items my best guess is they fixed that too. When you see one in person see if you can lift the skis off the ground by the bumper, if you can lift them off the ground by hand they fixed it.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Yes, sorry.. I forgot about that sled.

I guess I shouldn't say "heavy" I really don't care what number they put on them.. Its the ease of maneuvering in tight situations is what I'm referring to. No doubt about it they require a lot more body English to get around than its 2 stroke counterparts.

Again, I love this sled.. I'm planning on installing a 36 inch front suspension set up next year. Which I think will be the ultimate mod for this sled. Not sure what brand I'm going with yet.. Would love to give the forward a-arm style kits a try.

I put the Zbroz upper arms and the 2016 spindles on our red Viper, went that way to keep the stock 38 inch lower arms and same shocks. AMAZING improvement in my opinion. Going to do it to my blue Viper also, highly recommended. I have not tried the stock 36 inch front ends so I have no input there.

Premium Features