• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island park/west yellowstone conditions

kahonies

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Looks like conditions are less than favorable thank God there is plenty of Prime Rib and Beer.:face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is plenty of snow, but little or no FRESH snow and the forcast for the next week doesn't look like it is going to bring us any relief.

Will be up in IP this weekend HUNTING for snow, will let you know what we find.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
The best snow seems to be down low in the trees, along the edge of the hills. There's some decent riding up high, a lot of it is set up hard and tracked up but you'll still find some nice untracked meadows. The one thing I've learned since moving here, Island Park is a pretty big joint, lots of options if your willing to work at it...

IMG_0200[1].jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
But
There is a thin layer, about 1/4 inch, of ICE that formed a crust in most open exposed areas

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422154850.589633.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422154861.374172.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422154871.075538.jpg

There is already a layer of fresh snow on top of this ice

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
pulled into west yellow at 3pm today, Monday. Only had time to ride 6 miles up the south plateau trail going south from town. Trail was surprisingly smooth. It was last groomed 1/23.

The main roads in town are pretty thin but the side streets have hard pack.

I put my scratchers down till I got out of town. I didn't overheat and I don't have a rear flap on my 2010 m8 162.

I spoke to a guy who usually rides British columbia and he said the snow wasn't too bad and neither were the trails getting there.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All things considered the snow it not horrible in and around West.
Certainly as you ride out of town and gain some elevation the trees go from VERY GREEN to white.
By the time you get up on top of the mountains there is PLENTY of snow as you saw from the snapshots I took on Saturday.

Yes, we could absolutely use a major dump of fresh snow.
No doubt about it.
But don't think for a moment that if you are willing to put a little time and effort into the hunt that you can't find untracked snow to go play on.
ITS THERE.

It ain't fluffy and 2dt of fresh, but there is plenty of snow to go play on.

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
A group of us from MN will be out friday morning. We have areas to go to when it get's like this and there's never tracks in there. We'll get out the shovels and saws and away we go. Good year to find new areas if nothing else.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Rode north of west Yellowstone up by the lake and back. The trail was last groomed on 21 st but was in great shape. It was jan 27 in the morning when I rode.

Put on about 50 miles. I finally saw the temp light come on while on the trail so had to run scratchers quit a few times. Guessing if I had flap on my 2010 m8 would not have needed scratchers on trail but definitely needed in town.

Didn't get too far off trail and found some untracked snow. Wish I would have had more time to do two top area.

I am not familiar with area but seems to me like island park would be a lot closer to the good stuff.

Right now we r in Pocatello and it was raining in town yesterday and this morning it is supposed to rain in town a little.

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
Did you guys get any snow from that storm last night? On our way out now

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just got home from a weekend in island park. Good news-there's snow on the ground, bad news-its pretty crappy. About 2-3 feet in the valley and didn't seem to get much deeper up higher, at least where we went. Was pretty warm all weekend and the snow was very wet and heavy during the day and hard as a rock after the sun went down. We were there until about 4pm Monday afternoon and it rained all day, definitely seen better conditions but not much in the last few years.

Premium Features