• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI-NORTHSTAR PERFORMANCE KIT

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Isn't North Star's kit very similar to Rk-Tek's drop in kit?
No , kits are not similar

North Star kit uses cast piston which are longer , to counter this there is a cylinder spacer , in using this combo of taller piston- cylinder spacer , they change the port timing and increase the crank case volume , they machine the stock head , install a timing key ( advance 2 or 3 degrees I think ) in doing this you have to run a fuel controller as the engine is making more power and to make more power you have to burn more fuel ( I went with running the ViPec plug in standalone ECU ) so I know now much more fuel it take by seeing the injector duty cycle . Also with running the standalone ECU , I don,t run the timing key!

X2^??? How many miles are logged on this kit so far and what's the reliability?? How often does a guy have to re-freshen the top end?

I ran the North star kit last year , tuned it at home and then six - three-four day trips to the mountains , would have to look on the mile thing , I have had 0 issues

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
We have in house the kit sent by North star performance for engine dyno testing. We will in the next few weeks test them carefully and results (in terms of HP) will be sent to Northstar and they will i am sure keep all of you guys in the loop. We ran this kit for 2 weeks on our 2012 pro r at sea level and we had to add 2 grams in weight not to over rev so there is power in the kit and we will soon have all answers......remember, the engine dyno measuring the Hp stock vs Hp northstar kit is in fact used to measure the hp delta between the two version and at the end, it doesn t lie when tested under the same conditions. Video of the testing will be posted also.
We had the chance to work with Curtis (gunnerthesnowman) Mapping this kit for low altitude and high altitude and we were surprised at the results!!! So lets see on the engine dyno ...

vi-pec powersports

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I know the vipec is your area of expertise, but any chance to get them to send their controller of choice and timing key to compare to your vipec as well? I understand why your doing this with the vipec, but for most adding $2000-$2500 in addition to the NS kit will be out of the question for most I would imagine.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
We have in house the kit sent by North star performance for engine dyno testing. We will in the next few weeks test them carefully and results (in terms of HP) will be sent to Northstar and they will i am sure keep all of you guys in the loop. We ran this kit for 2 weeks on our 2012 pro r at sea level and we had to add 2 grams in weight not to over rev so there is power in the kit and we will soon have all answers......remember, the engine dyno measuring the Hp stock vs Hp northstar kit is in fact used to measure the hp delta between the two version and at the end, it doesn t lie when tested under the same conditions. Video of the testing will be posted also.
We had the chance to work with Curtis (gunnerthesnowman) Mapping this kit for low altitude and high altitude and we were surprised at the results!!! So lets see on the engine dyno ...

vi-pec powersports

I will be looking forward to hear from you Gino , I am hoping once you get it on the dyno and fine tune the timing map , that there is more to be had

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
The Vi-pec ECU is not for all wallet we already know that, that's why we only produce 100 ECU per year per application. As for testing other controllers with turbo kits,pipes, supercharger kit etc, it is already done, way before we worked on our line of ECUs and with respect for the other companies we will not publish datas and videos of testing.....you would be very disapointed in the numbers vs what they claim....beside numbers, there is a such thing called "control and drivability".
vi-pec powersports

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I understand vipec. Just might be a selling point for you guys. Being able to show substantial gains compared to the same kit with a piggy back might sell you a few more ECU's is all I was saying.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Gino... the dyno run would be more valuable if you ran Stock, stock plus your best Map and the Vipec and then the Northstar kit with the vipec... on the same dyno.. same sleds.

Otherwise there are just too many variables to know what has added the power and how much.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
I ran the North star kit last year , tuned it at home and then six - three-four day trips to the mountains , would have to look on the mile thing , I have had 0 issues
Okay. No issues what so ever? Have a 13 with 0 miles on it contemplating this kit now or at the end of the season. I'd like to know how many miles a guy would have to rebuild at with this kit? I don't want to buy it now with a new motor if I'll only get 2k out of it. What's your take on this?

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
It is this kinda free, immature, teenager comment that makes good thread going south.

vi-pec powersports

Really, I could say the same about your immature response to my comment of your over over priced fuel controller. Just saying:face-icon-small-fro

So now folks add another $2500 to the initial cost of 1400 for the NSPK. Sorry Vi-Pec hopefully Dobek controller works great so most guys will be able to enjoy this kit without buying your over priced ECU.

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Okay. No issues what so ever? Have a 13 with 0 miles on it contemplating this kit now or at the end of the season. I'd like to know how many miles a guy would have to rebuild at with this kit? I don't want to buy it now with a new motor if I'll only get 2k out of it. What's your take on this?

I do not know how to anwser your ? what would you expect to get on your stock 2013 upper end , all i know is my plan is not to touch it again this year , its working good and maybe ( hopefully ) better if Vi-Pec Motorsports fine tunes the timing map.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
I understand vipec. Just might be a selling point for you guys. Being able to show substantial gains compared to the same kit with a piggy back might sell you a few more ECU's is all I was saying.

I know this is not comparing apples to apple ,( not on dyno , same day , same place , etc . ) but in testing this kit with the Vi-Pec and comparing set ups with same kit with fuel control / timing key ( there sled kit was ported and piped ) my sled pulles more clutching.
In saying this i think North Star has a very good kit , it address the stock piston and give a performance gain for a fare price.

With me i looked at the cost of a stage 4 kit , compared to the Vi-Pec , compared with the performance gain with each !

Now in saying that , my next motor will have all the above and more , time will tell if its worth the money or not.

Thank

Last edited:

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
I do not know how to anwser your ? what would you expect to get on your stock 2013 upper end , all i know is my plan is not to touch it again this year , its working good and maybe ( hopefully ) better if Vi-Pec Motorsports fine tunes the timing map.
Sorry bad way to word it. Want a pull and go sled and be able to not have to worry about my motor and have a little extra hp.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Sorry bad way to word it. Want a pull and go sled and be able to not have to worry about my motor and have a little extra hp.

Since I did change the kit with going with the Vi-Pec , I had to get the ECU tuned ,fuel and timing , this was done with 5 or 6 data logs sent to Vi-Pec Powersports in house tuner ( this guy know how to tune) This process took alittle longer on my part as the clutching took some time to get it right , but by the time I went to the mountain to ride it was gas and go for the rest of the year

Premium Features