• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whyyyyy is snowest so slow lately? (502/504 Gateway Errors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmoherb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle - ish
www.butterfieldplumbing.com
I'm using Chrome explorer, both on my tablet, and on my PC. I've been getting a ton of 502 Gate errors the past few days, but only on my PC. Sometimes it's only one thread i can't access, sometimes it's all threads, but still able to navigate the sub-forums...

Using tapatalk on my phone, or the chrome browser on my android tablet, it's fine, no errors.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
THANKS GUYS.
Really trying hard to identify the root cause of these errors.
Its effecting ME just as much as anyone else on the forums.
heck, maybe MORE so since I live here all day long.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
just timed out on sending a pm. that was a first for me. i clicked "back" on the browser, and to my surprise my text was still all in the PM. i clicked send again and it went through in 2 seconds :crazy:
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Needle in a haystack

STILL LOOKING
needle_haystack.jpg

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Some things work fine, others take a minute or more to go through. Getting into here to leave this took a lot longer than it should have. Like above, I have sent PMs that I thought I lost, but when backing up found that they actually went through. I think SW has some sort of illness. Probably infected from bunny ****er tree huggers. :)

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
It's been horrible this weekend. Click on something and it just sits there, hit the back button and try again, sometimes have to do this 2 or 3 times. Same results with my phone and laptop... I sure its getting worked on but doesn't make me feel good about the $29.95 I just sent you:face-icon-small-dis

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I see Mountainhorse either deleted his own post or it got removed, regardless, is there any thing to his suggestion that going from snowestonline.com to what it shows now, snowest.com/forum causing some/any of the issues??

It appears that my Firefox is opening up the threads, but the snotel ticker still isn't working.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
This is getting pretty bad. I would guess 1/2 of the posts I try to open doesn't work. Have to back page and try it again. Most of the time on the 2nd or 3rd try the page loads like normal. Seems to be happening anytime of the day or night. Eric

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
IE is dead slow today LOCKED up several tomes 504 lock up 7 times back to FIREFOX its slow but not this slow...

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
This is the first time there is an issue with access on our forum and it hasn't affected me...yet. The only thing I am blocking is all http://ad.doubleclick.net advertising. I have it in my Restricted Sites listed in the Security folder. The doubleclick.net ads were messing with a few of the forums I visit, blocked and done.

Are any of you guys that are having issues running an ad blocker that blocks advertising? Just a guess as to what may be slowing the forum down???

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
IE is dead slow today LOCKED up several tomes 504 lock up 7 times back to FIREFOX its slow but not this slow...

Same here on the IE.I do have firefox but for some reason I cannot get my printing on my screen bigger than about 50%.
I cant even see the letters with my reading glasses the letters are so small.
I keep clicking on icons looking for one that will let me get back to 100% but have not found yet....one of the crappy things about aging I guess.:mmph:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
As a moderator... I can have my ads toggled off to check things... It is still....

SLOOOOOOW like MO LASS ISS!

It's not a browser issue either... I've use IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox... all have the same issues. Also tried from Different access in different states and even a "pipeline" in Silicon Valley.

I've tried it with and without ads on as well... using friends accounts.

An observation:
Is it because a Harris SnoWest.com (magazine website) Proxy server has been inserted in front of the SnoWestOnline.com Server?
(It hasn't been snowest.com/forum for years.)

280px-Proxy_concept_en.svg.png

How about this:
Lets try removing the Proxy between the members/users and the SnowestOnline.com server and see how it works, for a couple of days (even if you are sure that is not "it").

If that fixes our issues... you know where the problem is.

Eg... For this thread:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355393&page=3

Change it back to this Actual path (ditching the Proxy hardware inserted) :

http://www.snowestonline.com/showthread.php?t=355393&page=3

The two servers we are buying right now will be setup on day 1 to host only the SnoWest Forums, and will be independent of all other Harris Publication and SnoWest Mag activities

300x136ximage.php,qu=67021,adateline=1356626929.pagespeed.ic.lx0mx_H02_.jpg

11-11-2009, 11:49 PM
To: All SnoWest Members
Subject: Big Changes Coming to the SnoWest Forum

Addressing the “Slowness” Problems

After significant discussion and debate, we have decided to move the SnoWest forums off of the main Harris Publishing servers and manage the SnoWest community as a separate, stand-alone entity. This means a few things:

1. SnoWest will no longer share hardware or server resources with the other Harris Publishing web-sites or communities.

2. We’ve ordered brand new switches, firewalls, load balancers, UPSs, file-servers, database-servers, and web-servers exclusively for the use of the SnoWest forums.

3. We’re upgrading the SnoWest forums to the latest and greatest versions of all our software, across the board.

The end result here will be speed, speed, and more speed. The orders for the new infrastructure have been placed, and we anticipate the new hardware will be ready in a few weeks. However, making SnoWest independent and self supporting comes at a significant cost, which brings me to the next issue.

Top 18 Cool Things You’ll Get With Your Membership

Here is a short list of what your membership dollars are going to return back to you! All paying members of SnoWest will receive the following as part of their membership:

1. New, Super-Fast Servers and Software
More than any single other item on SnoWest, we have needed new hardware to meet the growing needs of our members. As you read above, we’re investing heavily into this area, and it’s going to make a HUGE difference. Also, as SnoWest grows beyond our current size, these new servers will allow us to add more capacity “on the fly” as required. We’ll also be leveraging Amazon’s EC2 cloud for real-time scaling of certain services.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
504 Gateway Timeout

504 gateway timeout is a server error code that is received when serving as a proxy or gateway server. This typically means that it does not receive adequate responses from an upstream server that was specified in the URL. Such as LDAP, FTP, HTTP, or other forms of auxiliary servers that are needed to have access to in order to finish the request being made of it.
- See more at: http://servererrorcodes.com/504-gateway-timeout/#sthash.LqWkGlkx.dpuf

Cause of 504 Gateway Timeout Errors

The 504 Gateway Timeout error is an HTTP status code that means that one server did not receive a timely response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
HTTP Error 502 Bad gateway

A server (not necessarily a Web server) is acting as a gateway or proxy to fulfil the request by the client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) to access the requested URL. This server received an invalid response from an upstream server it accessed to fulfil the request.

This usually does not mean that the upstream server is down (no response to the gateway/proxy), but rather that the upstream server and the gateway/proxy do not agree on the protocol for exchanging data. Given that Internet protocols are quite clear, it often means that one or both machines have been incorrectly or incompletely programmed.

Cause of 502 Bad Gateway Errors

The 502 Bad Gateway error is an HTTP status code that means that one server received an invalid response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser.

502 Bad Gateway errors are completely independent of your particular setup, meaning that you could see one in any browser, on any operating system and on any device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features