• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I have closed my Facebook account.................

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Eduardo Saverin, the billionaire co- founder of Facebook Inc. renounced his U.S. citizenship before an initial public offering that values the social network at as much as $96 billion, a move that may reduce his tax bill.

Facebook plans to raise as much as $11.8 billion through the IPO, the biggest in history for an Internet company. Saverin’s stake is about 4 percent, according to the website whoownsfacebook.com. At the high end of the proposed IPO market capitalization, that would be worth about $3.84 billion. His holdings aren’t listed in Facebook’s regulatory filings.

Saverin, 30, joins a growing number of people giving up U.S. citizenship ahead of a possible increase in tax rates for top earners. The Brazilian-born resident of Singapore is one of several people who helped Mark Zuckerberg start Facebook in a Harvard University dormitory and stand to reap billions of dollars after the world’s largest social network holds its IPO.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
1. He is not a born American.

2. He is not the only one Doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not going to help someone export US currency, which is why I closed my account.
I had a hunch other Americans would feel the same.
F_ck FaceBook & their gay little games & the lifeless dolts who feel the need to notify Facebook nation as to whether their sh!t was sinkers or floaters.
I can easily live without it.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
ha I don't think their IPO is going to go as planned. It went from overrated and now I think more people than not are gonna be hesitant now after how much publicity it has gotten and how low their profits are going to be. Not to mention they do not have a solid product, its simply a fad.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Fad or not the advertising they generate is huge. There are almost 900 million users worldwide.
To put that in perspective:
American Express has roughly 50 million customers.

Visa 261 credit card users

Debit 392

MasterCard credit: 176 million 129 million debit

This kid owns like 3% of Facebook so he is getting very little money from an ipo. He isn't even listed as a major shareholder.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
But I received this info in an email...now I must go into full panic mode and react accordingly!!!!!

I have no idea what it all really means...but somebody with their own web blog said it was bad...so it must be.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I got an email, apparently form a rep of Mark Zuckerburg saying that I won second place in a facebook draw and I won $950,000.00.....hmmmmm. All i have to do is give them all of my personal info to claim the prize...wooohoooo.....NOT !!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
ehh. Idk, I think everyone who owns anything in facebook is gonna try to cash in immediately and it will crash the price due to all the stock for sale. The only hope they have is the fact that Zuckerberg owns nearly half of the stock and the fact that he more likely than not wont sell a single share in the next year.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Fad or not the advertising they generate is huge. There are almost 900 million users worldwide.
and what does the advertising actually do? Does it sell stuff? It seems there is a lot of money in advertising on the internet, yet I and most people I know don't do anything with adds on the webpages.

I wonder if advertising is going to go bust when people realize they might not be getting the money they pay for..

Then again, maybe they do?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
and what does the advertising actually do? Does it sell stuff? It seems there is a lot of money in advertising on the internet, yet I and most people I know don't do anything with adds on the webpages.

I wonder if advertising is going to go bust when people realize they might not be getting the money they pay for..

The point of advertising isn't as simple as showing food and making people go out and get it immediately. For example, Mcdizzles doesn't expect you to immediately go out after a commercial. Instead the next time your hungry you think about what you want and their name comes into your head so you go there. Its all about name recognition and if you don't remember the commerical the better. Subliminal messages are best.

Same goes for advertising on the internet. The thing is I normally don't even look at the ads on FB. but subliminally its possible that I do I just don't even realize it.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The point of advertising isn't as simple as showing food and making people go out and get it immediately. For example, Mcdizzles doesn't expect you to immediately go out after a commercial. Instead the next time your hungry you think about what you want and their name comes into your head so you go there. Its all about name recognition and if you don't remember the commerical the better. Subliminal messages are best.

Same goes for advertising on the internet. The thing is I normally don't even look at the ads on FB. but subliminally its possible that I do I just don't even realize it.

So you don't know either, aye? lol

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho

If they couldn't prove it was cost effective, do you think most companies would waste money on it?

http://www.wikinvest.com/concept/Impact_of_Internet_Advertising

http://www.hec.edu/var/fre/storage/original/application/a270b4f7925d3e29a3598ae7642dfa0f.pdf

^^ I didn't really read all of the articles, but from what I did, they obviously think it is fairly effective compared to other forms of advertising.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
If they couldn't prove it was cost effective, do you think most companies would waste money on it?

yes!

Have you or anyone you know bought anything from online advertising? It is a no for me. How about you?

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Facebook and google are both good at directing their advertising towards certain groups. They both "listen" to your online habits. Say you "like" bud light. You will start seeing more ads for beer, and possibly other beer related stuff, maybe a kegarator website. Or Maybe a race series sponsored by a beer or alcohol company.
More than likely, subliminally it is probably working. Just because you don't click that link and buy doesn't mean it hasn't worked.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Facebook and google are both good at directing their advertising towards certain groups. They both "listen" to your online habits. Say you "like" bud light. You will start seeing more ads for beer, and possibly other beer related stuff, maybe a kegarator website. Or Maybe a race series sponsored by a beer or alcohol company.
More than likely, subliminally it is probably working. Just because you don't click that link and buy doesn't mean it hasn't worked.
So you don't know if it works either... lol.

Lots of people explaining the thought process but is there any analytical evidence to any of this actually working and providing the necessary rate of return to make it worth while?

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I can assure you it works for the fact that companies are spending a lot of money on it and they are continuing to spend money on it.

If it didn't work they wouldn't continue the investment.

As far as Facebook there are over 800 million users and 50% of them login every day. I don't think you can touch that kind of publicity.

Facebooks advertising tools tell you
Reach: number of people that saw the ad

Frequency: average number of times each person sees the ad.

Social reach: number of times that each person saw your ad and had someone from their friends list who liked the page or posted about it.

Connections: number of people who liked your page or posted about it within 24 hours of seeing your ad.

Ctr: click through rate:

Premium Features