• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Polaris, you have lost another one

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
I have been fighting my pos 2009 "iguana" 800 since day 1 and I finally lost the motor. I will not be buying another Polaris ever again. I have been fighting rpm loss (wouldn’t pull over 7800), falling on its face on the top end, DET codes when there was NO DET. I changed the fuel filter, new belt, pre-updated head, updated head, fuel controller, cleaning TB's and reeds, reflash after reflash and NOTHING has got this thing to run properly. I love the chassis but HATE the motor. I experienced catastrophic failure 10 minutes into our first ride in cooke last weekend and ruined my whole trip..I ended up riding an old phazer for the next two days. This thing has done nothing for me except drive me insane and makes me pull my hair out. after reading about all of these problems and Polaris not stepping up to the plate, I’m pretty sure I’m sol. a busted cylinder skirt which took out my whole motor put the cherry on top of the cake for my season with this Iguana. I tore it down and I and a friend discovered the cylinder skirts had .014" of clearance between the case and the cylinder skirts. The pistons also had .009" of clearance to the cylinder walls and from what I have read Polaris recommends a max of .006" of clearance. I lost the pto exhaust side cyl. skirt and the mag side is also cracked. We figured due to the excessive clearance between the cyl. and piston, the piston was putting excessive force on the cylinder skirt causing it to flex and eventually bust off and hose everything. Unfortunately we are getting swept under the carpet like the 900 guys did and it makes me sick just thinking about it. I am a college kid who worked his *** off for 2 summers to buy this thing..and to have it grenade during the prime part of the sledding season really blows...so its looking like I’m done for the season. Polaris...I hope you get your **** together and step up to the plate and actually do something about these turds. The working man who is buying your products is getting really tired of your bull ****.

trip to cooke ruined
018-4.jpg

can anyone guess which side went down?
001-11.jpg

002-13.jpg

slightly outa specs
004-8.jpg

i shook this outa my bottom end lol
005-6.jpg

the culprit
008-8.jpg

007-8.jpg

DEAR POLARIS.....**** YOU AND YOUR **** PRODUCT

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
can anyone guess which side went down?
001-11.jpg

The left? JK! Thats terrible Cajun. It hurts me more listening to a guy thats working hard in college tryin to make a future for himself and then have to deal with crap like this. no matter what you ride cajun, keep giving her on the sled. Sorry about hearing the bad news. Keep ridin!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
That sucks and it looks typical to what I have seen for motors that are letting loose. I plan on replacing my pistons before this happens.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
totally sucks, can't believe that the MORONS would put the pistons in with .009 clearance, no wonder they have piston slap issues. First time I measued it I checked my mike as I figured it was out, nope starret mike right on the money, .009 with the brand new update pistons. Its a time bomb just watin to let go, not only that but the cylinder skirt to case was .014 !! no wonder they have flex cracking on the thrust side. If these motors would just be assembled by a competant person they would not have these horrible issues.

I really think anyone who has a engine grenade and the clearance is greater than .006 would have a good case for a new motor as that is clearly the incorect part installed by polaris causing the problem. I have built race engines and owned a shop for 20+ years and even if it was a all out race motor I would stand behind it if one of my guys assembled it with insane clearance! And he would be fired the next day for being a total idiot... also th You can see where the skirt was flexing aganist the case causing the cracking to happen.

I would also venture a guess this is why some of these motors have major power problems after the update, piston slop,rings not seating,cracked skirts all don't allow the motor to seal...horrible !!!

POLARIS STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND DO THE RIGHT THING...THIS MOTOR NEEDS TO BE REPLACED !!!! ITS YOUR FAULT THIS HAPPENED !!!!

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
That really sucks to no end. I feel for you and I know many other owners do as well. These sleds have caused numerous vacations to be ruined. Pretty tough to enjoy your vacation when your $10,000 sled won't run. And in these economic times that money doesn't come easy. So to spend it on something that was faulty and misrepresented is a tough pill to swallow, but don't worry the Polaris CEO makes millions a year and is living comfortably.

This really is the rediculous part and I've been saying it for 4 years. This sled does not perform as advertised. It is also assembled right from the factory outside of specification. Updates are done outside of specification. The specification is clearly printed in the service manual, but the factory themselves choose to ignore it. They are selling you a wore out motor before it even leaves the factory. Seriously, in this day and age a company can get away with that! Shouldn't the consumer be the one being protected here? It isn't right and Polaris should do something about it. Heck put the new Pro motor in all these sleds. Regardless, something should have been done long ago.

The Polaris strategy to push this until the warranty expired was fairly obvious at least to me. Just keep replacing faulty parts with more faulty parts.

R44guy proved that the sloppy motor was the reason these things weren't performing like they should. And more than one builder has expressed the problem with the pistons rocking and excessive side forces this motor generates.

I wish I had some good advice for you. I hope Polaris steps up and gets you a new motor, but even that is no guarantee it will work. To rebuild this thing and make it right is no small investment.

What year was the phazer? I had a 95 that my 08 has had me missing a few times. Just think what a 144X2 could make one of those things do today. Need to add some serious riser though. :lol:

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
yeah its complete bs what polaris is doing. they are just waiting for warrenty to expire so they can say sol.

the phazer was a 92 485 bender single and a 136x15x 1 3/16" paddle lol. it was a screamer and man did i turn some heads runnin around there where all the big boys were going lol. maby ill post a vid later

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just out of curiosity, what would Polaris need to do to make you happy? Serious question. What if they stepped up with a crate motor and another year engine warranty?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Well , i'd like them to give us a crate motor, i'll then tear it down and check all of it, probably install "the fix" kit...then polaris can reinstall it in the sled with a new ecu,vr ect... and give us a warrenty.....wishful thinking BUT at the very least in this case,yes, new crate motor and install with warrenty would be the fair thing to do. Or just fork over 4 grand and we will put our own combo in the sled....:face-icon-small-hap

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Just out of curiosity, what would Polaris need to do to make you happy? Serious question. What if they stepped up with a crate motor and another year engine warranty?

I think they should provide everyone with a D8 a new motor, not the D8 motor but a new something or an old something! This would even the field a bit. I went through 3 motors, as I am sure the rest have as well.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
It just seems strange that Polaris went to all the trouble of a "update" that's as bad if not worse than the original. I wonder how many dealers actually noticed the out of spec pistons at the time and rejected them. My guess is not many.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City

That's sorta been part of the problem. The motors are kinda like spinning the roulette wheel whether they are good or not. A crate motor although new is likely to still be wore out even in the crate. Most seem to be way out of spec right from the get go. The warranty has really been worthless because of this fact.

It is the definition of insanity that they keep replacing faulty parts with more faulty parts expecting a different outcome. Replacing parts under warranty doesn't or hasn't fixed the problem in the least. In fact I think it has added to most people's frustration because of additional down time at the dealer. It has really been left up to the consumer to make these right. Which means quite a bit of additional out of pocket expense. And even then you're still at the mercy of what may or may not happen with the electronics.

Now if the crate motor was the new Pro motor they might be taking a big step towards keeping some customers. Those seem to be holding together. Although, I would love to tear one apart. :D

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Does anyone know if the Lemon Law has been exercised by anyone over these issues?? 3 times for the same problem with no cure and you get your $$ back! Just curious-

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt

polaris just needs to step up and make things right...not just with me...with everyone! a new motor would be good....BUT it needs to be within specs and have warrenty....and i want to know that there isnt some monkey reading **** out of a shop manual doing the work. Polaris really should hand out pro motors and electronics to make things right...or something that just WORKS!!!! all they have done with the "updates" is lower performance by lowering compression and putting **** pistons in and just put a bandaid on the problem in hopes that these will "run" until warrenty runs out so they wont have to deal with them....polaris just plain f^cked up with these and have failed on every level in my book

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
That's sorta been part of the problem. The motors are kinda like spinning the roulette wheel whether they are good or not. A crate motor although new is likely to still be wore out even in the crate. Most seem to be way out of spec right from the get go. The warranty has really been worthless because of this fact.

It is the definition of insanity that they keep replacing faulty parts with more faulty parts expecting a different outcome. Replacing parts under warranty doesn't or hasn't fixed the problem in the least. In fact I think it has added to most people's frustration because of additional down time at the dealer. It has really been left up to the consumer to make these right. Which means quite a bit of additional out of pocket expense. And even then you're still at the mercy of what may or may not happen with the electronics.

Now if the crate motor was the new Pro motor they might be taking a big step towards keeping some customers. Those seem to be holding together. Although, I would love to tear one apart. :D

i totally agree

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
Polaris

I have had the same thing happen to my 2011 Pro with 800 miles. I have been riding my 08 800 Dragon and no way does it have the power of the Pro. Aren't they the same engines? I have been with Polaris since 1995.

1995 500 EFI Great Sled Many Miles

1996 600 XLT Great Sled
I had an ultra 680 POS
1997 700 RMK Great Sled Still Running

1998 700 RMK Still Running

1999 700 RMK Still Running

2000 800 RMK Multiple broken cranks
2001 800 RMK Sold before it blew up
2002 800 RMK Sold before it blew up
2003 800 Verticle Escape Still have it Lost 1 Crank
2006 900 Big POS Still own it Is not worth 2 cents Blew up under warranty
2008 800 Dragon Lost of riding time waiting for updated parts. Still running
2011 800 Pro In shop now, lost piston skirt at 800 Miles
The 90's sleds still run The 2000's all blow up.
I love my new Pro . Don"t seem to like the other brands. I don't want to switch. Just how much does Polaris think I can take.

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You are fooling yourselves if you think Polaris is going to do anything else to make the D8 motors right. They have moved on. I'm waiting with great anticipation to see what midseason brings for the 11 motors.

sled_guy

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I have had the same thing happen to my 2011 Pro with 800 miles. I have been riding my 08 800 Dragon and no way does it have the power of the Pro. Aren't they the same engines? I have been with Polaris since 1995.

1995 500 EFI Great Sled Many Miles

1996 600 XLT Great Sled
I had an ultra 680 POS
1997 700 RMK Great Sled Still Running

1998 700 RMK Still Running

1999 700 RMK Still Running

2000 800 RMK Multiple broken cranks
2001 800 RMK Sold before it blew up
2002 800 RMK Sold before it blew up
2003 800 Verticle Escape Still have it Lost 1 Crank
2006 900 Big POS Still own it Is not worth 2 cents Blew up under warranty
2008 800 Dragon Lost of riding time waiting for updated parts. Still running
2001 800 Pro In shop now, lost piston skirt at 800 Miles
The 90's sleds still run The 2000's all blow up.
I love my new Pro . Don"t seem to like the other brands. I don't want to switch. Just how much does Polaris think I can take.

I'm assuming the 800 mile sled is a 2010 and not a 2001?

Premium Features