• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Poll

What's Your Belt?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

151Viper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Larimore, ND
PolarisBelts0001.jpg

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Belts

I use the Carlisle XS belts as well. It isn't about the money, it's about the principle. Back in about '02 or so, Polaris has a run of bad 1080 belts - they would start to break up in a few hundred miles. Everyone who was buying them knew of the problem and Polaris did too because "some" people got belts replaced under warranty. I bought a couple of brand new belts from my dealers stock in the fall of '03 and they both failed prematurely, though fortunately before "total destruction" and Polaris refused to replace either one. At that point I told my dealer I would never buy another Polaris belt and I'm holding to that. If they were those "cheap aftermarket belts", Dayco or whoever would have given me 2 new belts, no questions or arguments. I won't disagree that the 1115 belt might be nice and long-wearing, but I really believe you should replace your belt AT LEAST once a season, regardless of your miles. At that rate, those belts get pretty expensive and I've seen the fancy, expensive OEM stuff explode just like the cheaper ones can.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
the 115 belt is more forgiving on your clutching, if you can get your clutching dialed in and some venting the 1080 will work great IMO. I ran a 1080 belt on my billet 900 and I ran it for 2 seasons and it still looked new. I am running a 115 belt on my dragon but it came with the sled and I figure it shold last along time, it still looks new. but i have a 1080 belt for a spare

F
Dec 5, 2009
i dont have an opinion on which oem is best; but i do on going aftermarket:

my dad has a story about riding with Carl Struthers (Jack's dad) - the short version is Carl opened his hood, took off the belt, threw it into the woods and said,"get yourself a real belt" ie...polaris.

with that said i tried all of the non oem brands when i worked at WPS and none of them came close to the performance of poalris belts. that was on edge sleds and i assume it is still the same resluts...oem put a higher mark on the hill everytime, back to back.

well. i have had nothing but terrible experiences with polaris belts. carlisle belts have outlasted all the polaris one's i used. imo, paying the high prices for polaris belts is a waste of money. different strokes i guess.

Last edited:

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
I as well as a bunch of other people like the Carlisle/Ultimax3 XS belts.How about asking Christopher to reset it at zero and starting again.

No sense in any of us wasting more money than needed:)
That can be money for Super Unleaded or sled mods:D.
Pete

W
Nov 23, 2008
my question is does antone know the angle of the clutches? on the belt chart the 080 has a side angle of 28deg and the 115 is 26deg. would this have something to do with breaking the 080's maybee the angle is wrong.
e

and does any one know the dimensions of the carlise xs 809?

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I just got back from a roadtrip and put about 400 miles on the 1122 polaris belt on my new '09 700 rmk. Zero issues. I really tried to blow it up but it seems to work pretty good. All miles are in the hills and the trail to get there. My sled is bone stock with stock gearing and clutching and no vents added yet. Minimal belt breaks and I only pulled the cover off once just to see how hot it was getting.
One thing though the 1122 seems to be a bit thicker than the 1115 the sled came with. Even though they spec the same dimensions on paper the clutch squeeks a bit at idle and I didn't have enough time to reshim the primary before I left. No biggee

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I just got back from a roadtrip and put about 400 miles on the 1122 polaris belt on my new '09 700 rmk. Zero issues. I really tried to blow it up but it seems to work pretty good. All miles are in the hills and the trail to get there. My sled is bone stock with stock gearing and clutching and no vents added yet. Minimal belt breaks and I only pulled the cover off once just to see how hot it was getting.
One thing though the 1122 seems to be a bit thicker than the 1115 the sled came with. Even though they spec the same dimensions on paper the clutch squeeks a bit at idle and I didn't have enough time to reshim the primary before I left. No biggee

all you have to do is adjust your belt deflection on your secondary not re-shim the primary... there isn't that big of a difference

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
You can always run a alternative belt (to what is recommended) If you are not riding the steep and deep.
115 only for serious deep conditions.

H
Dec 7, 2008
Omaha
I'm going to give the XS809 a try this year, and maybe the 1122 as a spare.

Between the 1115 and the 1080, my vote is on the 1115. I had around 1400 miles on the 1115, but only about 380 on the 1080. However, I didn't really break the 1080 in right.

I think I may have lost 100-200 RPM on the 1080, but I'm not 100% on that. I was in a different riding area most of the time with the 1080, and I didn't do a back to back comparison. I was guessing the 1080 was a little sticker. I know the 1080 was much tighter than the 1115. It was like a piano string after it warmed up.

Any info on how the XS809 compares to the 1115 would be much appreciated.

For that matter I'd like to know how the 1122 compares to the 1115.

Part of me thinks it would be nice to have two styles of belts to adjust for different conditions, but the other part of me doesn't think I would bother.

C
Dec 26, 2008
I just got an 1122 to replace my cracked 1115. FWIW i've been running my spare 1080 off and on for the last few rides. It quickly get's overheated and becomes so sticky that it brings my RPM's down too much for climbing. This is with vents. Soon as I throw the cracked and ready to split 1115 back on, it rips again. Hopefully, the 1122 will perform on par with the 1115 on my 700. I'll report back.

EDIT: the 1122 performed well today but I didn't get to test it on any long climbs. Worked fine and didn't need any adjustments.

Last edited:
W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
Gates????

I personally have had good results with the Gates Xtreme 44X4640 belts. They are made with DuPont Kevlar like the 1115 belt. They seem to be a little harder compound like the 1115 belt. I order them from kscdirect.com for $48.10 each.

Premium Features