• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Just because Christopher does not know / does not tell, does not mean that it is not known.

I am not suggesting that the corporation doesn't know these details.

I am saying that "I" don't know them as I am not part of that. That is not part of my job.

THAT is part of his job, if your boss says to you that he wants to make money from something that the company is already doing wouldn't it make sense to know what they are already doing or not doing and what they are charging for that?

I worked at HP and I personally guarantee to you that they know. I was said web developer and I did not know the cost of advertising or how much revenue it generated. I didn't need to know. I did what the publisher and owners asked me to do. They made the decisions.

Once again, you are saying that HP is inept, "We want you to generate $$$ but we're not going to tell you what we charge already or how much we are already generating."

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I agree. I took that out. I don't want anyone to leave. If anything want more people to join. All this kinda caught every one by surprise when it was leaked. That throws everything out of whack. And then hasty decisions get made so the members get their answers.
Some people thrive on chaos. I am not one of them. I hate argueing with people. And you are not being rude ^ you just want to know. Thats why I am going to ask Christopher to create a Q/A thread. Anything that is not a Question or answer will be put in here most likely. Does that sound right to you guys?

Thank you..

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Buis

Yep, the bottom line is... it is their buis. I did not say that we shouldn't have an idea where our $$$ go. The point is as a private buisiness, they do not have to tell us anything. If they were public... well that is different... that is if the book keepers, accountants and management don't twist the info. Of course that isn't supposed to happen...... legally....

I apologize up front if this comes across as rude. I'm simply asking questions and requesting answers.

How is it you know this and the guy who's job it is to run this site doesn't?

Easy. As I said before, no hawking your crap in your sig unless you are a site supporter.

You're absolutely right, it is their business. It's also the business of the guy who is expected to maintain the operations of this site to know how it is supported. When he sees trouble he should inform the business it is in danger and get the answers.

And yet scores of sites, large and small, manage to do it everyday.

Did I mis-quote you above or were you simply parroting what has been claimed.

dsp81

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2005
THAT is part of his job, if your boss says to you that he wants to make money from something that the company is already doing wouldn't it make sense to know what they are already doing or not doing and what they are charging for that?

Once again, you are saying that HP is inept, "We want you to generate $$$ but we're not going to tell you what we charge already or how much we are already generating."

Or maybe they said, "the forums aren't generating enough money, this is what we want you to do." But it doesn't really matter. It is entirely possible for an employee to do his job without knowing intricate budget information. It happens every day, at millions of companies around the world.

And, again, it would be bad business for SW to release ad revenue data. It puts them at a strategic disadvantage in negotiations with advertisers.

Everyone with knowledge to help people with any of thier questions, should setup a pay pal account. Then simply reply to every question asked on here with a link to your paypal and a price for the answer. If they want to make money on you, you should make money on them. I would start right away and see how it works out. I mean, all the people that agree with paying to stay, should have no prob. paying for the information either right?? I mean, heck if its only $5 for an answer, whats the big deal? Heck thats a box of cereal, right?

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Fyi sw

Christopher and staff:

I would like to point out a simple analogy of what is happening here. I see a lot of ppl here with something to say. I have read the forum from start to finish and some of it twice. Of course if there was enough snow here, I wouldn't be in front of my cpu right now and would not know exactly what is happening. I have read the ppl who may leave and those who say go on then and leave. Bottom line is, they wouldn't be here or be irritated if they didn't care.

For those who have comments like go on leave! Please, think about what is happening. And for those with threats, please think about the reaction you will create before hand.

Again I wish to point out the reason everyone is here with comments is because they: DO CARE!!!

H
Nov 26, 2007
Preston, Id.
i am not acting as a mod right now just a person.
I'm not suggesting anyone leave, actually i want them to stay. But these guys set here and say they are leaveing. But never do, they stay and stir up trouble for others. How can that better the site? I don't understand. This whole thing has been blown out of control. That letter was not even done. And someone got a hold of it and released it. How can that help?

now that you're a mod, you act and speak as a mod

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
From Johndee.com. Post title = "Thank you for keeping this site free". A direct reaction to what is going on here at SW.

You're welcome everyone.

While I can certainly see the temptation to go to a pay to play site (50,000-75,000 unique daily visitors and just shy of 10,000 registered board users could generate some serious income). I too see a much stronger value in keeping things totally free to the public and then working with the numbers of visitors to the site to generate revenue.

I see it as a win-win-win scenario. You all win because things are free, I win because there are businesses that will pay me to get some great exposure and sales from the numbers of visitors that come to the site and the advertisers win because you the visitor actually make their advertising worth while by using what they have to offer. It is a setup that I can see going on forever.

-John

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Clearly a fellow who is in touch with his most important resource.

Glad to see it.

MD.

From Johndee.com. Post title = "Thank you for keeping this site free". A direct reaction to what is going on here at SW.

You're welcome everyone.

While I can certainly see the temptation to go to a pay to play site (50,000-75,000 unique daily visitors and just shy of 10,000 registered board users could generate some serious income). I too see a much stronger value in keeping things totally free to the public and then working with the numbers of visitors to the site to generate revenue.

I see it as a win-win-win scenario. You all win because things are free, I win because there are businesses that will pay me to get some great exposure and sales from the numbers of visitors that come to the site and the advertisers win because you the visitor actually make their advertising worth while by using what they have to offer. It is a setup that I can see going on forever.

-John

M

MPS

This is my bottom line opinion. Harris Publishing is suffering in magazine sales, so they are trying to make the forum their cash cow.

Think about it guys. A new big dog admin guy (Christopher) shows up. He had to be aggressively recruited or he was selected from a pool of applicants. I guarantee the plan was to go to a paid site before Chris showed up. Chris is their puppet, he is doing what he was told to do....to make this into a paid site when he came aboard....to make this site much more profitable than it already is.

I guess I can't blame Chris for doing the job he was hired to do, but that doesn't mean I like how he is doing it and I don't like that he was hired to make this site into a paid site. I was suspicious the day Christopher showed up that SW would move the forum to a paid site.... and other factors have convinced me of this...and I would consider my source of info from the horse's mouth.

This isn't for you Chris....this is intended for the two Harris boys. Your father built this business from hard work. I am not saying you are not hard working, but your father built this, not you. You get my point. Times are tough for all of us, but this isn't the answer. You are going to lose all kinds of customers....the kind of customers that made SW into what it is today. These are your loyal customers, not your flakey ones that come and go. You need to trim things up, not hire a web expert to make this site into a cash cow.

...just my two cents....blunt, sure...and I will say whatever comes to my mind to anyone's face...for the record. ;) Do you need me to drive out to Rigby to say this to your face Chris? ....because I will. :present:

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well after reading all the posts in this thread and other related threads in regards to this little hurdle the turtle has to navigate i believe the following is the what can save this site......

ditto

S

Superjag

Jan 30, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Everybody calm down. I figured out a way to solve the $$ problem AND keep snowest the way it is/was. Team2 is sending HP a check. He said it's already in the mail...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. This thread needed a little levity.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
As for the advertisers, they should not have to pay for things like the max thread. There is nothing sledding about that thread.

Oh really the max thread has nothing sledding involved eh?

Well I distinctly remember giving various forms of advice on sled issues to friends from the max thread, getting advice from Yammy on my furnace for my SNOWMOBILE trailer, and giving details to some on the 4M ride all in THE MAX THREAD!!!!!! Not to mention planning weekends and sharing pics. Oh and the banner adds still show up there too.

Maybe if you had been around here for more than a month before you climbed your way up onto your high horse you'd realize HOW THIS SITE's REPUTATION FOR INFO WAS BUILT!!!!!!!!

And that is why what ever is left over goes to non-profit clubs to help our cause.

And when has that been said? All that was said is that a PORTION of membership fees will be donated. It says nothing about "what ever is left over". That is exactly why I posted the question about setting it up as a non-profit so that legally what ever is left over would have to be donated. But that question/suggestion has gone unanswered and unacknowledged.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Everybody calm down. I figured out a way to solve the $$ problem AND keep snowest the way it is/was. Team2 is sending HP a check. He said it's already in the mail...

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
Been around for a while

I have been on this site for a while. I like it some good reading and heck even post questions on here once in a while and always get good anwsers back, along with some of the crap with from the dofuss's on here. I have met most of the people i ride with on here. alot of them have dropped off the site because of the crap that people like to throw around. I also am on Doo-talk. I like and use both sites.
That being said i was kinda of ticked off at first when they said it was going to become a pay site. But after awhile i thought well it is there site and they can do what they want. It is america and people can make all the money they want. If they end up with a bad product they will not make any money and the advertisers will leave.
So i have decided to take a wait and see position, I will stay on the site and might even pay for it. time will tell. I will not do with out dinner or beer to pay for it, i will just kick out a few more bucks for something i enjoy.
As for the moderators i guess i dont post enough to have an opion on them. but i have met the fella from Mountain sports in Preston, artic cat turbo guy. And by the way i was a Polaris guy that now rides skidoo. We ran into him up at the warming hut in green basin/dry basin. he tried to trick me into riding his turbo.....i didnt because i knew i would have to buy one if i did. also ran into at bloomington lake.....bottom line nice guy offers advice and will help ya if your in trouble. And that counts for more then any of the crap he gets thrown on him in here.
Now i dont think i have ever wrote this much on here so probably wont post again until i need someone to join me for a mid week ride.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
one other thing...the mention of industry heavy wieghts to be online on this forum as a benefit...???...well sorry but these forums only exists because these idiots build crap and we need the forums for the REGULAR guy to fix THEIR poor workmanship and technology...why subject us to these guys twice...once when we pay thousands for there mistakes and then in OUR forum when we are trying to improve there mistakes...just putting a turd in a clean toilet imo

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon

roflmas

M

MPS

As for the advertisers, they should not have to pay for things like the max thread. There is nothing sledding about that thread.

This has to be the lamest argument I have seen. Are you kidding me? Everyone on the max thread was a snowmobiler. The max thread helped them spend more time on SW, in return seeing more advertising....Dooooh. :confused:

Last edited:

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Yep

Good point. This is a snowmobile site. Funny how you need trucks, trailers... blah, blah.... just to go sleddin. Maybe the big dogs in the truck industry need to be approached to place an add or two, not just have the 4 big dog sled manufacturers. There happens to be a lot of trucks on the market nowadays, not just Ford, Dodge and Chev. Toy, Honda, Nissan are all in the hauling market these days.

So to say we can't charge for certain stuff... it's a package deal!!! Advertising here is applicable across the board. Wanna float your banner... this is what it costs!!!

Oh really the max thread has nothing sledding involved eh?

Well I distinctly remember giving various forms of advice on sled issues to friends from the max thread, getting advice from Yammy on my furnace for my SNOWMOBILE trailer, and giving details to some on the 4M ride all in THE MAX THREAD!!!!!! Not to mention planning weekends and sharing pics. Oh and the banner adds still show up there too.

Maybe if you had been around here for more than a month before you climbed your way up onto your high horse you'd realize HOW THIS SITE's REPUTATION FOR INFO WAS BUILT!!!!!!!!

And when has that been said? All that was said is that a PORTION of membership fees will be donated. It says nothing about "what ever is left over". That is exactly why I posted the question about setting it up as a non-profit so that legally what ever is left over would have to be donated. But that question/suggestion has gone unanswered and unacknowledged.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I wish this kind of time and energy could be put into writing in support of keeping our lands open. Could have had tons of email sent out all over in the US and Canada. :)
You know. That is really just so sad. Seems people care more about a snowmobile site then snowmobile riding areas. I think I am going to go write a letter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features