• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Turbo Kits---soon!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
I have a few observational questions if you guys dont mind.

A 2-stroke works via a combination of air and fuel obviously. But they also need the pulse timing of the exaust and its expansion chamber. How do you get around this with a turbo? Wouldnt you bennifit from an exaust designed for the higher volumes of exaust? I mean more air/fuel in, the more that has to come out and the stock exaust is desighed specifically for a certain amount of flow and RPM. Just curious how turbos effect this?

I have built a few Banshee's now and they have a "lightswitch" like powerband that reminds me of a turbo. When they "get on the pipe" the machine comes to life just like a motor does when the turbo spools. If you can tune a carb for this type of powerband I would think the fuel curve would be simular to that of a turbo. On my Banshee's I have used a 34-35mm carb instead of the stock 26mm carbs. I did this to try and get as much air in to the motor as possible at my higher elevation. I run massive carb mount K&N filters to supply the air. To get them to run properly I had to increase my compression, run very aggressive porting, and on my stroker motor I ran AV Gas with the additional aid of a dial-a-jet. On my stock stroke I was able to run premium and no dial-a-jet but the powerband was not as wide or as smooth. Adding the dial-a-jet gave me what i think of as a forth dimension of tuning as it added another fuel circut I could tune with along with the pilot, needle tapering, and main jet. I wonder if adding a dial-a-jet would help in the tuning of a turbo sled in that it would supply the additional fuel needed while on boost but has no effect on the low rpm/off boost fuel needs??

Anyone tried looking into Lectron carbs for running on boost? Didnt have much luck with them on a NA sled as they seamed to fight the pulse but if my suspicions about boost is right and that pulse becomes less of a factor, the adjustability of the lectrons might work very well.

Just thinking out loud. Watching this thread and will be watching the results of the kit closely as I would love to do this to my new sled but not till it is proven. I dont have the time nor the $$ to be someone elses ghiney pig.

i agree on the Lectron Carberators.....as for the exhaust imo on almost every turbo kit sold the stock exhaust has performed very well at handeling the motors harmonics waves under boost. Had the stock exhaust not perfomed correctly the results imo would show itself at the turbo since all turbo's are exhaust driven .

OT

R
Mar 13, 2008
carburetors

I know I've posted this before, but if properly set up their is no issue with carbs. I have been running a turboed 700 polaris with a turbo doc kit for 7 or8 years now it runs good, not finicky Iv'e ridden 5000ft to 12000 ft, 14degree weather to 70degree weather and it just isn't finicky in extreme changes you just tweek the powerjets alittle. Also with an aerocharger there is no need for a blowoff valve.

G
Apr 23, 2008
When using an aerocharger for trail use there is a vacum side to the controller.
when the throttle is chooped the vacum is applied to the controller , this vacum pulls the vanes to the open position thus instantly reducing the exhaust gases angle of attack on the rotor and dumping the pressure in the pipe.

When drag racing or really smart guys boondocking have fiqured out this vacum does have an effect on response.

By removing the vacum side line, and resetting the controler you will get much better response to boost , always has been the case with the aero.

But now you SHOULD use a blowoff at hiogher than 12 psi.

I/We never used the vacum side for racing but it does help to run them in trails. reduces the part throttle boost pressures and makes jetting the midrange safer.

Dave will have a very good kit, he has hit all the points that needed attention deadon.. good luck Dave.

Gus

Gus

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Still thinkin aloud here.

So if the expansion chamber acts like a supercharger per say......and you are now adding forced induction instead of using the motors inertia to feed it.....I would think that one could eliminate or nearly eliminate the expansion chamber all together and lose the lbs????

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
if you take the expansion chamber off you will loose trapping pressure from the sonic reverb and just blow more fuel right out the exhaust port.

Yes!! I believe the two stroke expansion chamber is an integral part of a two stroke, boosted or not. Probably it become MORE important under boost. I could be wrong, no evidence to back it up. Anyone??

R
Mar 13, 2008
From what I understand the design of the pipe times the reflection of the pressure waves of the exhaust thus effecting the strength of the scavanging effect in the cylinder and stopping that scavanging effect at the proper time so as not to waste the intake charge out the exhaust. On my turbo sled I have tried two different pipes with differnt length head pipes and bellies and there is a differance.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Usually when the head pipe is lengthened it will bring the peak hp rpm down. Not the actual hp output, but the rpm it happens at. The opposite is true for shortening the head pipe. The belly kind of dictates if it is a torque pipe or a hi revving pipe. Then you get into cone shape and angles, stinger length and diameters and, well pipes are just a ton of fun:D. I have a lot of respect for the guys that can squeeze more power from different pipe designs and have them actually fit the chassis. I love the rawlooks of the Works style pipes but I also like the clean look of a stamped pipe with very few welds. Just doubt if the clean stamped pipe is the optimum pipe for that application. A stamping is a good place to start, but I have seen some that are basiclly just a stamping with a head flange and stinger welded on;). Very clean, but do they make power????

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
A stamping is a good place to start, but I have seen some that are basiclly just a stamping with a head flange and stinger welded on;). Very clean, but do they make power????

I think most production pipes from reputable companies start out as pieced together pipes and tested. Once they get the results they want they then make a mold and smooth it out to get the nice smooth look and with it being smooth I bet it does give a smoother flow.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
With the crappy weather (85* one day, rain the next) and now snow:D I'm waiting on parts to be coated and parts to come in. I have been trying to get a website started to post info and pictures. So far it looks like Snowest has been the best advertisement, thank you. If anyone has any info on starting a website and keeping one going please contact me. I really don't want to deal with that at this time. I want to make some kits an finish the consumer setups, but I know a webstie is going to be nessesary.

Dave Halverson

X

xrs800pheonix1

Apr 5, 2009
Alberton mt
I want a turbo

I was reading all the blogs and finally just went to the last page. Do you have a turbo set up for a 07 rev. If so cool. I have a 07 rev and want a turbo.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Same engine different chassis. We have one turboed Rev so building you a turboed Rev kit wouldn't be a problem. I haven't decided if the Rev kits will be designed like the XP kits or not. On the Rev we have to pre-mix the fuel. The XP's will keep the oil injection. Do you want to keep your oil injection?

Dave

I was reading all the blogs and finally just went to the last page. Do you have a turbo set up for a 07 rev. If so cool. I have a 07 rev and want a turbo.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Still very interested!

Good luck and keep up the good work! Maybe you can PM Big D and get this thread stickied to the top.

Us Doo riders NEED to get a setup that will allow us to hang with the TM8s, TD8s and TRMK 700s!

We have a frigging awesome chassis why shouldn't we have powerful motor?

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Still very interested!

Good luck and keep up the good work! Maybe you can PM Big D and get this thread stickied to the top.

Us Doo riders NEED to get a setup that will allow us to hang with the TM8s, TD8s and TRMK 700s!

We have a frigging awesome chassis why shouldn't we have powerful motor?

Agreed! So sick of slaughtering everyone through the tight stuff and then getting murdered when we pull into a chute or big hill. Not next year!!

Pm with pricing for baseline kits, mid line kits, and the whole sha bang when you have that figured out Dave. Im in.

Jake

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I'm working on some of the priceing today and will hopefully have a close estamite by the end of this week. I will post the prices along with the pictures if the coater comes through for me this week. I think I will price the kits out a few ways to make it easier for those interested. Along with the kits, the instructions will come with a purchase order number that I will file along with name, date, price paid and all the part numbers for all components used in that particular kit. That way if there is any questions or changes with the kits I will have the information available to me to know what has been used if a customer need support. You never know what suppliers will stop makeing whatever and then I would have to change components. I like to be informed to be able to help.

The price on the kits I think I will do:

BASIC KIT: Everything needed to have a turbo minus the EGT or AFR gauge and clutching. You can buy later or try your own clutching. This would be less of a hit on the wallet.

STANDARD KIT: Would include clutching, but would not include the EGT or AFR gauge. This is what I would think most would be interested in.

FULL TILT KIT: Would be complete with everything with you choice of either EGT or AFR.

Along with all these will still be options as far as any powder coating, chroming, anodizing and polishing along with a price for installation.

These are just some things I have thought about to make it easy for everyone involved. Any other suggestions would be great. The website deal is still in the works, but all that cost money and I'm trying to keep the price in check.

Dave Halverson

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
good on ya

You're heading in the right direction, too bad you didn't do this last year with the XP. You need to get some kits on the snow and have some feedback from different users.

X

xrs800pheonix1

Apr 5, 2009
Alberton mt
can I get it on pump gas

I would like my 07 to run on pump gas. Yes keep my oil injection. My cousin has run turbos before on different carburated sleds and says you have to mess with the jets a lot and it is a pain. He says the injected sleds are a lot easer to tune for turbos he has been working with boondockers on his 09 e-teck motor and still having problems. Skidoo still has some work to do on the e-teck motor they have some bugs to still work out on it. Maybe in two years they will have it running good.

Premium Features