• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much fun can I have with a 01 Mountain Cat 600?!

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
I came across what I believe is a killer deal (800$) on a 01 600 Mountain Cat, 136 large lugs (don't know off the exact size off top of my head) runs ect.. has some minor body damage. I currently have a long track sled, and am thinking a shorter lighter sled might be fun to play on my goal is to find something I can mod and well..beat on.. but I am unfamiliar with arctic cats and what is available for them.. Would this be a good setup to start with, or am I better off looking for something else.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I've had a couple friends who have had them. fun sleds and that is a pretty good price if it isnt beat.

S
Sep 29, 2008
sound like a ok deal even if you have to drop a few hundred into it. If you think about it 800 is what a new track cost, that is a good long track. as far as mods go lots to be had just the money you would like to send that decides the power you want.

S

sledhead699

Dec 10, 2007
whitefish, (havre) MT
i had a 2003 mountian cat 600 and it was a blast. not a lot of power but fun little sled to through around. i also beat on it preaty bad. very strong sled. hope you have fun.

S
Dec 12, 2007
Leduc Alberta Canada
I have a 600 powder special, and for what it is, its a decent all around sled for me. With it being a bit newer, there are alot more parts and upgrades avalible. Even swap over to a 144 track if you want.

H
Oct 27, 2008
Lino Lakes MN
Ran that sled for the last 5 yrs, before going big, and it would go a lot of place that u would not think it would go. fun all around sled for jumping, trail and deep not to much steep. big thing is to just get out and hammer on it

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
So I picked it up (got it a bit cheaper then I thought) and have been having alot of fun with it. I'm trying to find things aftermarket parts for it, but haven't been able to find to much in the way of quick bolts ons. heck I can't seem to even find an exhaust system for it? Thoughts on where to look? I did however find a 660 big bore kit but not much else.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
We have one we use for a spare sled.
Luckily I haven't had to ride it much, but when I have, I have had a blast on it... Very manuverable, and is a great boondocker.
Seems to go through the pow pretty good.
Just don't expect to himark.
I would leave it reletively stock if it were me.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Ya I've been having a blast on it these past couple days. I want to keep it a short track, as my other sled is a 151. It tips over soo easy compared to my rev. I think I'm going to try to get it to run a bit smoother as it's really clean @ WOT, but feels like it misses at partial throttle, and I NEEED NEED NEED To raise the handle bars, I kept gassing with my KNEE.. haha.

S
Dec 21, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
Leave the motor stock. Pull the carbs give em a good cleaning, check the jetting. Also take a close look at the carb boots between the carbs and the motor as these crack and will cause you to run lean on long pulls and burn up the motor. The best bang for your buck performance wise would be to regear and spend some time dialing in your clutches. Its amazing how much you can gain from clutching. Modding the motor is just not worth it on a 600 imo. Even with twin pipes and big bore it still won't hang with an 800 and won't last long either.

Alternatively find an 800 or 900 ZR motor if you want more go. Or an open class snocross motor. I have a D&D720 open mod in my ZR snopro 136" and it hauls and climbs surprisingly well.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Leave the motor stock. Pull the carbs give em a good cleaning, check the jetting. Also take a close look at the carb boots between the carbs and the motor as these crack and will cause you to run lean on long pulls and burn up the motor. The best bang for your buck performance wise would be to regear and spend some time dialing in your clutches. Its amazing how much you can gain from clutching. Modding the motor is just not worth it on a 600 imo. Even with twin pipes and big bore it still won't hang with an 800 and won't last long either.

Alternatively find an 800 or 900 ZR motor if you want more go. Or an open class snocross motor. I have a D&D720 open mod in my ZR snopro 136" and it hauls and climbs surprisingly well.

It's EFI, no carbs, or jets. The clutches, have already been done. I thought about switching to an 800, but I figure @ 2600+ Miles it's due for a top end rebuild anyways and once I'm swapping pistons why not go for the 680s it's the same price, with the exception of the 50$ per hole boring fee. I'm not looking to race it, or hang with the 800s.. I have an 800 151 for that. I just want it to run solid and have a bit more low end umph for crawling when in the trees... The other reason I want to mod this over my 800 is well.. the thing cost me a only a few hundred bucks I'm going to learn how to apply my 4 stroke mechanical skills to a 2 stroke It's going to be on the cheap sled w/out a warranty vs the $$$ sled.

Premium Features