• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

performance kit or turbo

R
Nov 28, 2007
I see kits for 2500 ,pipe air box mod clutch fuel programmer etc or for around 5 000 a turbo. is the turbo worth the 2500 more ? ,which is more or less hassle for the few times I get out per year ?

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Yes! It is worth it. The turbo is the best bang for the buck without a doubt. You can spend a bunch of money on those "kits" and be left wondering whether or not the coin spent really made any difference at all. No doubting the difference on the boost. Keep it stock and maybe lighten it up a bit, or pull the trigger and go boost.:D

S
Sep 29, 2008
Well it would depend on the riding you do first and horsepower you want second. A good set up no turbo on lets say a 800 cat 175HP and you may even get away with pump gas, total cost like you said 2500$. Good for trail and a zip across the lake. Turbo 800 like 260HP 5000-7000$ installed good for the first guy across the lake up the mountain and you will have to run race fuel 3.50$ a liter. Unless you tune your 7000$ turbo down to 175HP and then you may get away with pump?

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
It seems a touch odd that this question continues to pop up. Aside from budgetary constraints anyone who rides at altitude that still considers a $2500 investment in a naturally aspirated package of sorts is seriously committing an act of cruelty. A well prepped 800 inter cooled race gas turbo set up will set you back $7k, and can produce nearly 300 HP at over 10k feet. It would take a ridiculous and possibly insane investment to create a natural mod that would even run in the same zip code, applying standard average correction factors it would require in the vicinity of 440 HP to even be a fight. It seems once you breech the 2k mark your better off backing up and re-considering. You bring up the race gas issue then ride a pumper, with the BD kit now pushing 200+ HP at altitude and costing < $4500 your more than half way there, why fight it.

D
Sep 10, 2008
totally depends what type of sled your talking about.
the pump gas kits are bare bones, you should add a boost gauge and exh temp propes, clutching, also adding alot of extra $$. so 4500 is the starting point, alot will buy this kit then sell once they figure its not worth it and get the $7000 race gas kit to get the real power and boost, what the pump gas kit can't make for hp.
A proper made kit or package for around $2500 will bring a smile to a good rider everyday.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Considering current technologies like Boondocker's Air Density Advantage and the amount of testing done late season on the pump gas kit, gauges could be left off. The fuel control displays boost anyway. The kit retails for 4295, and requires a minimum of a cam arm change ($50), with a power advantage of over 80 HP (120 is a stretch for an improved 800 at altitude) over the $2500 kit not so sure about those smiles when the pumper goes by. It should really depend on elevation, the higher you ride the easier the decision should be.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee,Washington
bb kit or turbo

2 years ago i put a BMP 800 kit in my m7 . It has been a great kit just pull and go. I picked up some power but mostly low end grunt. It does everything i have asked. But i will never get the money back out of it. If they would have had the turbo kit then that they have now ,there is so much R & D out there now, It would not have been a hard choice i would have spent the difference and went with the turbo. Then you would have to use a chisel to knock the smile off my face. Just my two cents :beer;

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
turbo lag

What about turbo lag ? The one that I rode had alot of turbo lag . I do mostly boondocking I cann't have turbo lag or I will be stuck all the time . Maybe it was just the one that I rode I don't know but one thing I do know is my chevy truck has turbo lag.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Lag, for all intents and purposes, is no longer an issue for the newer kits on EFI sleds. Check out Burandt on Youtube on the Slednecks 11 teaser and tell me if you see any lag there.:D

mtnxtreme1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
redding ca.
performance mods or turbo

performance mods are great!!!

but once you go turbo and set it up right you'll never

go back!!!

the power does drop off at high elevation but not as much

as piped, ported etc.

it still drops some.

the downer 110 race fuel or 50/50 blend

the up is incredible power!!!

just my opinion thanks Joel :beer;

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
What about turbo lag ? The one that I rode had alot of turbo lag . I do mostly boondocking I cann't have turbo lag or I will be stuck all the time . Maybe it was just the one that I rode I don't know but one thing I do know is my chevy truck has turbo lag.

Turbo lag is basically non exsistant, what there seems to be is what I call clutching lag. Since the motor at say engagement isnt making much power at all but yet it is trying to sling 250+- HP worth of clutching its hard to overcome that. Clutched good its not bad but still there. From a dead stop is where it seems to be most present since theres no forward momentum working with these loads placed on the motors, if you have any forward momentum past clutch engagement this seems to be non exsistant from what I have seen, But take into account that a pump gas turbo setup doesnt have to be overclutched as much to take the HP hit at full boost, along with the simple fact that pump gas motors on stock compression have more response than a highly boosted stock compression motor burning say 110 octane which also helps with this!

You can drag up some vids on youtube (sps racing turbos is a good one that shows this) from a dead stop up a mtn you can see FROM A DEAD STOP where there is lag on the smaller less torqey motors, but say look at the vids that show boondockin in the pow and on the mtn (where they arent really stopping as much) and the power seems instantanious.

Premium Features