• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 Phazer, newbie to 4 strokes

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Ok, I finally crossed over to the 4 stroke side today, bought an 07 Phazer MTX, 144", bone stock, and get this, it has only 95 original miles. I am pretty sure the $3800.00 was an awesome deal for this, and only 65 miles from me. Descided it was time to put the old 96' Cat Powder Special to bed. I just can't see rebuilding a 2 smoke every year for the kids to burn down. And Yes this is for the kids, not to say I won't wail on this thing from time to time.:D
Now, my ?'s are, is there anything I need to be aware of in the way of belts, clutching, weak points to look for, updates, suspension setups, etc,etc,etc. I don't like the way it lays over so easily, is there a proper shock setup to stiffen the front and rear to control it better?
One more ?, do C&A's work well enough for floatation vs. the stock 10-12" wide water skipper skis. I love how C&A's handle on my other 3 sleds, but don't want to sacrifice anything for my 10, and 12 yr old girls. I still have my other 3 Cat 2-smokes, but might be swaying to the side of Honda sounding sleds, hehehe.
4 strokes are a completely new animal for me here, not scared to admit that, just don't want to screw up a good machine with experimenting.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Here is what I did to make the Phazer MTX stable enough for my girlfriend to have fun. There is a Thread on totalyamaha with pictures .

1- removed sway bar widened ski stance ( first stock shocks now Floats)

2-Moved torsion spring slider block back to the second hole to stop it from bottoming out.

3- Installed a home made coupler block to couple up sooner and keep the skis on the ground.

4- drilled a bunch of holes in the running-boards to get rid of the snow
and close of the hole under the muffler.

5-I cranked the secondary one notch tighter

6- did a light weight bumper/ rear rack - 6 pounds.

We went out today braking trail into one of our local riding areas 1.5 to 2 feet of fluff on top of a light base.
First of the running boards ------- they stay nice and clean even when you get a bunch of snow on then ( carving powder) they clear out easy snow just falls through. There is considerable less ice build up in the tunnel I bet it stays 25 pounds lighter since the hole is covered in.

The stiffened up suspension along with the coupler block really keeps the skis down in steep Climbs up the twisty mountain trails even braking trail it has a real planted solid feel to it.
That along with the wide ski stance makes it go where you point it at any time. Without the sway bar it seems to have way less tendency to tip ----don't ask me why just try it.
You will have to pre-load the spring on the stock shocks to the upper end
with the left one notch less tight than the right.
It seemed to always drag down the rpm in deep snow and didn't give the rider a lot of confidence in its ability to spin the track. After tightening up the secondary it ****s around 11600 to 11900 rpm and feels and sounds way better.
The sled gets around way better than before since the suspension actually holds it up and the engine revs higher.
The only downfall is it does not carve as well as before ( I made it to stable for my liking) but she Loves it so I win --- no more complaints.

Cheers............

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Thanks munch

Anyone have opinions on different skis? Just put a Skinz skid plate on it tonite, and cranked up the front shocks 2 clicks, and the rear torsion springs to highest setting. Sun went down before I could get it on the snow, but it did feel a lot more stable just standing on it and rocking side to side.

Took off a few panels, and, HOLY CHIT:eek:, I don't know what I am even looking at!!! This thing is so tightly packed that I'm wondering how to even get a wrench in there.

I do like the fact that my kids have a very reliable sled to ride, but am not looking forward to wrenchin on this thing. Guess I shouldn't complain too much, I can't even work on my 04 Dodge Hemi, or the wifes Grand Am.:D

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
One other ? Is there an alternate way to route the exhaust more to the side of the sled vs strait back, without buying a $205.00 Super-Q muffler with the turnout? I want to install a gas/cargo rack, but the heat, and direction from the stock exhaust will melt the HE!! out of anything in the rack. Will a simple 45 degree chunk of pipe fit, and look worth a chit? Don't like the idea of scabbing stuff together.

I will get pics tomorrow of my rack idea.

Thanks again for the help guys.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
One other ? Is there an alternate way to route the exhaust more to the side of the sled vs strait back, without buying a $205.00 Super-Q muffler with the turnout? I want to install a gas/cargo rack, but the heat, and direction from the stock exhaust will melt the HE!! out of anything in the rack. Will a simple 45 degree chunk of pipe fit, and look worth a chit? Don't like the idea of scabbing stuff together.

I will get pics tomorrow of my rack idea.

Thanks again for the help guys.
I had the local muffler shop build a 45 degree angle pipe for my Phazer and then installed a rack on the back, works great. Dino

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Rack on Phazer

Here's the pics of my rack idea. Thanks for the info Tack. All I want is for the kids to have a small gear bag to carry gloves, drinks, etc. I don't think that the stock tunnel would hold up to the weight of a gas can.:confused:Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Meeker, Colorado
You should be just fine to put anything back there, especially with the tunnel still open, as for weight on the back of this sled-it can hold it I have had a full gear bag strapped to the back for a 20 mile ride to the cabin, it wasnt any fun but it made it no problem.

Premium Features