• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How late into March can I realistically ride the snowies ?

M

MNsnwdrift

Jan 27, 2008
I have a son that is on a pretty good basketball team and I promised him I would take him back out west one more time to the snowies before spring. The basketball play offs run into late March. I am not sure how far this team will go into the tournament.
My question is how late generally is the snow still good in the Snowies ? I understand what you tell me is just a "best guess" but I just wanted people's educated opinion. We are not real hill climbing people, more the boondocking through the trees type.

From my son and I,
Thanks alot.

Steep&DeepRider

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, MN
snowies late march or april?

Planning a trip on 1-6 of April. Rode there last year on March 26th. Snow was hard then the first night then it snowed like crazy!

M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
yep depends on the right timing, you could catch a fresh snow but it will probably be hard snow...
i usually try to make it until july but the last year or 2 were a bit skimpy on snow.

R
Feb 1, 2008
Spring Riding

This year will most likely be some of the best "late Spring" riding we have seen in a while..."late Spring" being like through May. Good March riding is pretty much a guarantee at this point. Even coming out of lower elevation trail heads like Albany should be really good in late March. We have a cabin for rent on the trail in Fox Park if you need lodging.

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
I agree March and April should be great, but hold on let me look into my crystal ball, yep it says good snow but the wind and road closers will hamper sledding!!!!! J/K

S

slednutz

Nov 28, 2007
Pipestone, MN
www.theslednutz.com
It was either 3 or 4 years ago me and my dad did the exact same thing except I was in baseball at the time and the only days I could get off from baseball were around Mid may i wanna say like the 13th and 14th. We were thinking spring t-shirt weather. We got there and were able to ride right from greenrock ended up snowing a foot both nights so we rode in pow the entire time. The snowies are unpredictable you could end up hitting a snow storm anytime from march to may and have great riding

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
I've ridden until mid May 4 out of the last 5 years. 2 years ago I had to end in mid April due to a break down. Last years break down happened on May 17th. The spring snow should be great for you.

T
Nov 30, 2007
Come on Roger, you know you should be getting ready to plant corn the first part of April.
You should talk to Heifer. I think we have 1 spot left for the 5th - 9th. We'll show you some news areas.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I am already planning the memorial day ride.
The snow pack is better this year than the last 3 (I believe). You should be able to ride into june this year.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Few years back we rode well into June .. in t-shirts. Had to water skip small ponds to keep the sleds cool!

With the base up there now and if there's good spring snow, we could see that again this year.

D
Feb 23, 2008
If you can get out, you can't go wrong

2 years ago, 2 friends and I from North Dakota went down to the Snowy's and met a friend of ours that had transfered from a ND Air Force Base down to Cheyenne. We couldn't get out there until March 30th. It was spring riding, warm temps, with a ton of base.
We did dig some trenches in the powder on back side of some south facing mountains.
Medicine Bow peak reaches up to about 12,000 feet, and we got on the north side of that, and found some great stuff. The best stuff wasn't way up high, it was just small shoots on the north side where the snow wasn't set up yet by the sun, and the trees had left some room to blast skyward.
Hope you have a great time down there.
When we went we stayed in Centennial, and the bed and breakfast on the right hand side of the road as you come in to town was super to stay with.

Premium Features