• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park Anyone sled west of Jefferson near Sheridan Ranch

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
Is there any good riding west of jefferson in island park on the same mountain range if you continue way past the last parking lot on yale kilgore/ shotgun road and play in the mitns to the north by sheridan ranch? Am i making any sense? We are going to be there next week and wanted to explore a new area.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Is there any good riding west of jefferson in island park on the same mountain range if you continue way past the last parking lot on yale kilgore/ shotgun road and play in the mitns to the north by sheridan ranch? Am i making any sense? We are going to be there next week and wanted to explore a new area.

Yes, good riding NORTH of Sheridan Ranch. Do not ride south of Yale - Kilgore RD, it is all Sheridan and private as well as posted. The new owners are quite serious about trespassers. Plenty of riding however on the north side, cut across the meadows just before the main entrance to Sheridan, follow it all the way north and at the end of the meadow is a road to the west, follow it and after a little while, some relatively easy climbing, a little sidehilling, a little boondocking, you will find some great high mountain alpine meadows and hills, also some steep chit, but I personnally leave that alone.

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
Thanks big rock, i am assuming that area gets a lot less pressure? Do they get as much snow? Is the road at the end of the meadow that you take to the west near a couple of really old cabins? Also, is this area any less socked in when Jefferson has poor visibility? thanks again for the input.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT

So much area back there, all the way west on Yale-Kilgore for miles and miles, that you hardly see anyone. I have seen numerous tracks heading west on the road and would ride all day and not see another sled - could hear a couple once in a while. Yes, there is at least one old cabin/shack that I remember. Visibility is usually bettter than Jeff on marginal days, but I also got to spend quite a few hours on the mountain when a storm blew in before we could get to low ground. :). Wasn't too bad, well prepared and just hunkered down until it slowed down.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Rigby ID
Yeah, too many places to even mention! You will run out of gas before you can explore all the valleys and ridges and bowls....just pick the smoothest
looking trail and head north.

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
I pulled up google earth and can see the meadow across the road from sheridan ranch. When we come to the north end of the meadow do we go to the the west end of the meadow and ride up the ridge or it looks like there is a dry creek bed/ road that takes you up a gulley. When you say the smoothest trail, do you mean the one that is least rutted out by tracks or is there an obvious route that we will notice. It also looks like there isn't a tone of trees and that we can pick our way through them to get up high. Any thoughts?

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Yep - north then west to get around the swamp area- there is a definate road that should not be hard to see. As you follow that basically west, a lot of areas to get off and boon thru the trees if desired - snow can get pretty deep in those trees and the damn tree wells suck you in - at least that's what I have heard :D;)

F
Jan 29, 2008
Minnesota
Looking to Film

… Alright guys FreeRide Films is headed out west on feb 25th for a 2 week trip, We are going to Colorado for 4-5 days and then we are looking for people to meet up with and film anywhere out west.

E-mail me at tagracer@hotmail.com or give me a ring 3204201351 (Tony) Tell me about you or the group you ride with… Hopefully it works out and we can come out and do some filming!! Show us your SKILLZ!:)

Premium Features