• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where's a good place around the Fraser Valley to learn?

P
Jan 25, 2008
Just got an '03 Polaris 600 RMK last night... can't wait to take it out to the mountains, but are there any good spots around Vancouver/Fraser Valley (live in Langley) to go and test it out first? I'm a girl, never been on a sled before... don't really want to be digging it out in the mountains somewhere the first day because I don't know how to ride it.

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
there is riding up near hemlock mountain and there is 12 feet of snow up there right now, but I have yet to find exactly where to go and I think its mostly trail riding, but I wish I knew since its only a 30 min drive from me. Your second best bet would be the coquihalla area, about 2 hour drive, its a great place to learn, there is alot of area up there that is easily accessible, but can also challenge you as you get better if your just starting out.

W
The Britten Creek Rest Area, just 2 kilometers past the Coquihalla Toll booth, has lots of open, flat area for you to feel your way around, and there will be lots of others to help you (or learn with you). When you get some confidence you can take off from there on the trail system. There is a lot to see and explore there and you can take it at whatever pace you like.

P
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for the info - I've heard you can ride at Cypress Mountain somewhere... haven't seen anything about it though so maybe that's not true. I also thought there might be some riding around Hope?

Thanks again, can't wait to start!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Langley BC
Who do you plan on riding with and who’s going to teach you all the aspects of riding including safety (not riding by yourself)? How are you going to transport, load/unload? Joining a club is a good idea.

There is no longer any riding at Cypress. The closest area to Langley is Sylvester road (behind Hatzic lake), but the riding back there generally sucks because your competing with the four wheelers. Chipmunk Creek is OK but it can get rough.

I’ve had my girls on a sled in some way (doubling front, then back, snowscoot, and now Freestyle) since they were a year old. The girls are now 10 and 13. We like the Coquihalla area (Britton Creek, Tulameen, Mine Creek, Murray Lake) because the lower area is flatter, but now they are at the stage that I’m teaching them boondocking, button hooking and getting unstuck (lots of that yesterday). Often times when we stop for lunch I burry my beacon in a spare glove and make them find it.

K.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Jones lake between Chilliwack and Hope is a great area (look for the Jones lake signs on the Trans Can). The FSR is about 15 km's to the lake.

It's a dammed lake and in the winter the water level is low. Lots of shoreline and logging roads to explore as well as two campsites. There are a bunch of private cabins up there but I'm not sure if anyone uses them in the winter.

I hope that you can find some good riders to ride with. I sure wish that there were more girls that ride mountain sleds. I ride with a great group of guys but sometimes it's a bit of a testosterone fest. It's nice to know that someone is going to look for you if you get lost or badly stuck.

I don't recomend riding alone but if you do take lots of survival gear and let people know where you are going.

Cheers

Michelle

P
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for the tips, no I won't be going alone. Definitely will need a hand and a lot more fun with some people around. I have some friends to ride with but they just moved here and don't know any good spots to take me to learn.. just the mountain areas, so this is all great to know.

Thanks again!

Premium Features