• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride quality question

S
Jan 22, 2008
Anyone ever remove the spring on the front shock of a 600 hawk (this ones a 2004) to try and soften up the ride. I'm a convert from sleds to this and love it but these things seem to have more spring than they need and are very stiff. It probably only sags 1 1/2 to 2 inches when you sit on it and it is very stiff on the trashed trails. I've loosened up the 2 rear shocks about as much as I'm comfortable with, took off the rubber covers and replaced with standard shock covers to prevent some of the snow/ice pack on them. I'm thinking of taking off the the front spring, (but leaving the shock of course) any thoughts or experience?

BC

G
Dec 11, 2007
old forge ny
this will put more presure on your front ski. thats y im affried to take it off. i trail ride too love the machine i thought it was to stiff at first to but now that i ride faster i like it where it is.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Take it off yesterday!

All of our machines are running this way now, the 800 now will drag the pegs under hard acceleration on a trail, thats how much softer it will get.

2008 enduro models, and maybe the others omitted the entire shock.

Last edited:
S

super swede

Nov 26, 2007
Front spring ?

what thas taking the spring of do to the handling in powder
less trenching or more?
Jonny

S
Jan 22, 2008
It's the putting it back on part that I'm hesitant about.
Looks simple enough but that's what I thought about changing the track out!
Anybody know of a spring supplier for custom springs?

BC

S
Jan 22, 2008
Hey GT,
You running the twin axis ski?
If so, any time with it in the powder and do you crank it down or leave it at the trail setting?

BC

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
maybe someone would want to trade me their "too stiff" 600 suspension for my too plush 503 suspension? would they swap out? i live where the trails are usually 2-3 whoops if not bigger and mine is way too soft. i will admit when the trails are fairly smooth i love it plush but when it gets rough i love to hammer on it and show the 2 skis boys and girls how good they are in the bumps. no more of that side to side swapping having the bars riped from my hands!

S
Jan 22, 2008
After thinking about it and even after the "SHAH's" committment to help, I think it's the 2 rear springs that need the attention. I think the potential of this suspension is lost with the stiffness of it (not in the fluff but the trails). Guess my old butt'l have to hammer a bit harder which , after a few rides, is getting easier as my comfort zones expand (my rear end and my skill level!)
Thanks for the input.
Any Michigan riders feel like riding in the UP Feb. 29 thru March 3 gimme a shout. Staying in Curtis with a group of trail riders and want to get off trail for a day or two between Seney and Grand Marais.

BC

J
Dec 5, 2007
UP OF MI
The 2004 / 2005 600 Hawks All Ran A 320 Lb Rear Spring Rate On The Rear Skid Vertical Shocks, 2006 All Ran A 280lb Rate Spring On The 3 Shocks. 2006 600 Valving Was Different By 2 Shims In Each Rebound Shock Stack. We Set Up Quite A Few Older 600's To 2006 Stack Specs With Good Results. I Never Removed The Front Shock Competely, Just The Spring. The 2008 Models All Run Without The Front Skid Shock. This Set Up Is Very Very Soft. By Leaving The Front Shock On The Bike Seems To Take The Chop Better Without Packing Up The Rear. These Shocks Seem To Loose Nitro Charge Over Time, All Require A 300lb Charge. I Also Run All Hawks In The Lowered Position And Drop The Front In The Forks. I Currently Run A 2007 800 With The Front Spring Removed, The Bike Feels About Right, Very Predictable On And Off The Trail. Just A Few Thoughts On The Subject.

S
This issue has been driving me insane since I got my 05 600HO. To F'n Stiff in the rear!!! I have backed the springs off soooooo much on the vertical and horizontals - over the whoops still kicks like crazy. i just removed the spring off the horizontal shock, I'll inform you of my results. It seems to be softer sitting in my garage, find out this weekend! I want it to suck up the bumps like my RM...

S
Anxious to hear the results Seattle.
Ski pressure/hardpack steering is my main concern.

BC

That was the only reason I didn't remove it, as the manual states to use this spring/shock tension to adjust pressure on the ski. But now that I ride it better, I think the lean back and gas it mentality will make it ok. Seems like this weekend wont be a good test for hard packed and bumps, but who's complaining!

H
Dec 14, 2007
Montana
shocks

Go to your local shock guy and have him remove some shims from the stack in your shocks until its to your liking. Our shocks in the 04 600 used to have 12-14 shims we have reduced it to 7-8 and it made the ride a lot better. never removed the middle shock

Premium Features