• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New McCall Trail

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
We punched a trail yesterday from just north of Association Cabin, through Duck Lake, and over hte top to Fisher Creek Saddle. So, in other words, just norht of Goose Lake you can take a groomed trail over the top adn come out on the fisher Creek/Brundage Reservoir side.

This is a SNOWMOBILE trail, not a cat ski trail.

This trail does indeed lead through some of the primo backcountry play areas which is gonna annoy some of the old school.

However, this is going to save us a day a week grooming as we can do a loop instead of two dead ends to hazard/Fishercreek. This means we can groom even more trails more often.

The trail has some steep spots on it for sure, especially on the descent down towards Fisher Creek side.

The trail was put in with the help and cooperation of the Forest Service and Valley County Grooming program and Idaho Parks and Recreation.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I'm one of the disappointed "old school" but if the trail is smooth we'll just find another spot to play further out.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
for what it's worth, we groomed out ot fisher creek saddle.

there is waaaay too much snow out there, and no one had been there to break trail.

so whatever you do, don't ride the eastern side of the ridge as you head north.

:p

S
Jan 19, 2008
McCall,Idaho
Well as "locals" we rode the new trail today and enjoyed it. It is great new option, for a day ride. From and old cat/groomer operators view point , I am not sure if I have the right equipment to break that trail with the Tucker Cats that we use to run in Eastern Oregons Wallowa Mntns. . As far as the trail riders that don't like the new trail I understand , as local rider we do not normally ride on weekends and or "trail ride" . But it is still damn nice to have someone protecting and preserving our option to ride in area that is being locked up for a company. to make money from our forest . A big "Thank You: to everyone responsible for the New Trail.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I say...YEA FOR DOUG and the rest of the grooming crew. McCall has not been this well taken care of EVER! The massive system of trails are excellent and I really really appreciate the effort and care taken. Its been wonderful.

We the WEAK of SKILL AND HEART send our thanks to the grooming team for the butta smooth access ..............

How do you guys carry enough gas to even ride fisher creek? That's a long way from the house or trailer and the thousand plus other killer places to ride on the way always use up all of my fuel. Also since we are no different then the other million mccall sledders that don't go 200 yards off of the beaten path your honey hole should be safe...unless you aren't getting off of the path either!

WEIRD

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Thats like telling somebody about your good hunting spot, then drawing them a map and paving a road for them to get there. And after all that saying "Oh, and tell your friends". Thanks...

Last edited:
D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
you guys are wimpy. there's only two decent pulls in that whole area.

from the meadow on the east side of the pass, head south and climb out through the rocky outcropping.
from the pass, head south, then head southeast. years ago i watched pedrozza and struthers take turns poking at that chute. pretty cool to watch.

on edit, i guess there are a cuppla decent pulls out of duck lake.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
F-Bomb;176631 We the WEAK of SKILL AND HEART send our thanks to the grooming team for the butta smooth access .............. WEIRD[/QUOTE said:
Thanks Rob, good to see you again the other day.

Amongst the weird comments, a local club guy told me today that he hasn't been able to find a groomed trail all year here locally. Says every time he goes the trails are whooped up so bad they are unridable, so he plans to go somewhere else to ride.

I found that weird, as apparently some of you tourist types are finding groomed trails.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Doug some people wouldn't be happy if you laid cordoroy out right in front of them! (you know how that perfect trail causes your skis to wobble and it just gets so scary)

So far this season I've only ridden McCall 12 riding days and the only trail type grooming hicup I found was one of the very first early season trail rides there were misc big clumps of snow left from the groomer and some un-even cutting surface. I figured either equipment adjustment or maybe just the first good trip causes that. I also know or thought that some guys were running another piece of equipment up to the rich guys place and maybe they tore things up. Anyway who cares it was still smooth and fast! 12 for 12 smooth as butta and pt a to pt b is world record pace. My girlfriend is a total newbie and since this is the only place she has ridden so far she thinks all trails will be like this. WOooo is she in for an unpleasant surprise someday very soon.

Doug good to see you as well. Sorry you were working and couldn't come into Mobile CASA F-Bomb for a coldie. I've got some boys from Sled Norway coming today for a tour of Idaho and Oregon with McCall as the cherry. Hopefully all my big talk on how incredible McCall is will stand up. Ha ha now not only will the locals get invaded from the flat lands but they will be coming from Europe as well! You guys can be famous WORLD WIDE. te he he

Premium Features