• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode Hwy 20 friday mazama side

R
Jan 9, 2008
Chelan
Hit the snow park friday morning where the road is closed just past Mazama. The sky was partly cloudy with the sun peaking out slightly looked like perfect conditions. Took off about 9:15 rode past a couple of skinny skiers then had the road to ourselves. The snow was very deep and fresh dry powder. Over the hood beautiful powder. banged away on the ditches making our way to the hairpin. The last mile before the hairpin was very treacherous avalache strewn and a little scary. The snow was very deep momentum robbing and we chose not to go any farther just this side of the hairpin(after getting nicely stuck). While getting unstuck witnessed a huge avalanche from the chute area of the hairpin. All we could really see was an enormous snow cloud but couldnt hear anything. We were protected by the deep gully(which we were in for over an hour) and stand of trees that makes the inside of the hairpin. After extricating our selves from an epic stuck we started heading back down. What a huge difference going down hill makes. Banged every ditch, sidehill, meadow, rock we could find deep deep deep soft landings and tons of fuel eating fun.
I am glad they canceled the ride from the other side. This was not family conditions and the large avalanche above the hairpin was bigger than I have ever seen it.

Rato

R
Jan 9, 2008
Chelan
yes your right it definatly is not worth it. I started riding the highway about 4 years ago after a friend and an aquaintance were killed in snowmobile accidents. So I changed up where I ride to be safer. and here we were on the highway in a very unsafe area.
I love the highway when its deep though great fun because you can hit everything. great jumps and sidehills and with the exeption of the hairpin corner, safe.

Premium Features