• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you turn a snow hawk?

B
Jan 1, 2008
I'm a pretty experienced dirtbiker and downhill mountain biker and I currently own an R6 sportbike so I'm pretty familiar with how to ride motorcycles.

This winter, my Dad bought a couple of sleds for work and we get to play around with them when they aren't being used. This is the first winter I've ever rode and it's a lot different than dirtbiking. It took me a bit to figure out how to turn a sled. They really need a lot of body english to move around in powder. I was having pretty good luck by the end of my first day by counter steering the bars then getting my weight over.

I'm wondering how a snow hawk turns in powder. I was watching some videos on youtube and I was amazed at how hard those guys were turning. It looked like they were carving a 180 degree turn in a less than 10 foot radius; amazing!

The snowhawk looks perfect for the kind of riding I want to do. I'm looking into getting one pretty soon. I'm just wondering how one goes about turning these things in the powder? Is it a similar feeling to a motorbike where you have to counter steer it or what?

Thanks

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
In circles around a Twoski!

It's more of a learned art, as the videos, factory, or private can show anything is possible, what ever power sport you shine at you can apply towards the Snow Hawk, stand up jet ski, off road, and street bike, even snowmobile since they were what most of us came from first.

When I was learning six years ago every time I crashed, I told myself "it has to do it I saw them do it in the film".

It takes more effort at the start, you have to learn to go fast before you can go slow, but you get past that learning curve, and you'll never look back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDs_D-dyfcY&feature=related

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
I'm a pretty experienced dirtbiker and downhill mountain biker and I currently own an R6 sportbike so I'm pretty familiar with how to ride motorcycles.

This winter, my Dad bought a couple of sleds for work and we get to play around with them when they aren't being used. This is the first winter I've ever rode and it's a lot different than dirtbiking. It took me a bit to figure out how to turn a sled. They really need a lot of body english to move around in powder. I was having pretty good luck by the end of my first day by counter steering the bars then getting my weight over.

I'm wondering how a snow hawk turns in powder. I was watching some videos on youtube and I was amazed at how hard those guys were turning. It looked like they were carving a 180 degree turn in a less than 10 foot radius; amazing!

The snowhawk looks perfect for the kind of riding I want to do. I'm looking into getting one pretty soon. I'm just wondering how one goes about turning these things in the powder? Is it a similar feeling to a motorbike where you have to counter steer it or what?

Thanks

How do you turn it?? Well more than anything so far its been like street biking the most because you don't have to do much to make it turn. On hard pack trail all is needed is a tiny bit of pressure on the corner side of handle bar. This bit of counter steer starts the machine leaning and with a bit of throttle and more fine steering inputs you round and finish the turn. Its about the same in powder but the steering inputs become greater and greater the more you lean. If you ride two wheels in the summer this is your machine. Dazzle your friends!

B
Jan 1, 2008
You guys don't need to be sarcastic. I was asking more whether or not they are turned with body weight or by counter steering.

Thanks for the replies though. It's good to know that turning is similar to how a sportbike feels. That is something I'm definately familiar with. I'm in the city right now but I'm heading home in February for reading week. There is a guy in town who rents 600HO hawks so I'm going to hit him up. Can't wait to at least try one out. These things look like exactly what I've been wanting for the snow.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
You guys don't need to be sarcastic. I was asking more whether or not they are turned with body weight or by counter steering.

Thanks for the replies though. It's good to know that turning is similar to how a sportbike feels. That is something I'm definately familiar with. I'm in the city right now but I'm heading home in February for reading week. There is a guy in town who rents 600HO hawks so I'm going to hit him up. Can't wait to at least try one out. These things look like exactly what I've been wanting for the snow.

Don't let the first impression fool you, it can feel awkward. Make sure you have alotted some time for a good test ride. It still takes me a good 20 minutes to get relaxed and smooth. (Trail Riding)

Powder is just a gas and super easy.

Premium Features