• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 800 Dragon-burning belts

I
Dec 31, 2007
New 800 Dragon Love It, other than $160.00 belt fryed after 100 miles easy break-in. Two friends have had the same problem. Anyone else?

S
Nov 29, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Nope not mine...
...but it doesn't hurt to check all the usuals like belt deflection, tension, etc. Did you clean your sheaves and belt? Most people aren't spoiled enough to have near perfect dealer set-ups so even though this sled came from the factory 75% of the time the set-up isn't all that great. Did you feel your clutches when you stopped at all? I don't have any venting yet on my D7 and it runs awesome, shifts perfecty and no heat build up in the clutches. What were the conditions you were riding in? Long trail in?

I
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately not spoiled, babied for 2 tanks. I did not clean belt or sheaves checked belt tension looked ok. Clutch feels hot every time I stop. On order SLP vent Kit. What about motor mounts?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Unfortunately not spoiled, babied for 2 tanks. I did not clean belt or sheaves checked belt tension looked ok. Clutch feels hot every time I stop. On order SLP vent Kit. What about motor mounts?

Did it "look ok" or did you actually check it? Mine needed adjustment after the 1st ride.

5STAR

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Eastern Alberta
I believe that the belt issues are here to stay unless you have installed the aftermarket vents that are available. These sleds are coming from the factories all closed up partially because of design and more so because of the noise levels they have to meet. Just an added cost to the sport we all love. Some sleds may be better than others but I think vents are a must for any sled out there if your putting it to its limits. just my .02 :rolleyes:

R
Dec 30, 2007
Just Blew Belt today on my Dragon. 252 miles is better than those XP's are getting. Was riding in 1.5 feet of fresh when it happened.

A

ARTIC CAT BUM

Dec 8, 2007
Hansen,Idaho
Belt Problem

I stuck the throttle the day I got it and haven't let up and haven't had a problem with it at all and got 320 miles on it.Rode all weekend in two foot of fresh powder all weekend,Ride it like you stole it and you don't break it in like a too slow it will run like a peace of sh*t do it to all my sleds and haven't had a problem yet...

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
yes, you can use the 080 or 087 without any problem. just need to set belt/sheave clearance. i have checked several new IQ's, including my new rmk and have found them to only have maybe 1/8th inch secondary play on the jackshaft. i added a couple 1/8th inch spacing washers to give my secondary about 3/8th inch play. you need some movement on your secondary as the clutches open and close. else you get more bind (strain/heat) on your belts....even if alignment is correct. another thing to check. oh yeah......i ran all of last year (1000 miles) on one 080 belt. my 727 has to put as much grunt into a belt as the new D-8. it certainly isn't coming from some design flaw.

S
Dec 13, 2007
midwest
Hope it is just an isolated issue on a few sleds. 5star is right about the heat issue on all new sleds with the noise pollution regulations that the oem's need to meet. All sleds need to be vented no matter the model, it is just a fact of these modern sleds. I just had the cord start coming out on my XP after 420 miles. Not too bad cause I usually install a new one at 500 miles anyways. Maybe try adding more weight to the clutch and see what happens.

-Seeder

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I know I only have a little 600, but I have 2156 miles on my 3211115 belt. Yes, the foam is removed, and vents added.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Hope it is just an isolated issue on a few sleds. 5star is right about the heat issue on all new sleds with the noise pollution regulations that the oem's need to meet. All sleds need to be vented no matter the model, it is just a fact of these modern sleds. I just had the cord start coming out on my XP after 420 miles. Not too bad cause I usually install a new one at 500 miles anyways. Maybe try adding more weight to the clutch and see what happens.

-Seeder

Have to disgree with you about all new sleds having belt heat issues, I have a Nytro with a turbo pushing serious Horsepower right now, I don't have any belt heat issues, I don't have any vents either. The heat is from slippage. I've been down this road with the rmk 900. How come 350 hp Tapexs' do not blow belts? I put vents on my 900 and they were just a band aid. I am not putting any other sled down because the xp is fun to ride, I just dont understand why a 150 hp sled blows belts in under 1000 miles.

S
Dec 13, 2007
midwest
Have to disgree with you about all new sleds having belt heat issues, I have a Nytro with a turbo pushing serious Horsepower right now, I don't have any belt heat issues, I don't have any vents either. The heat is from slippage. I've been down this road with the rmk 900. How come 350 hp Tapexs' do not blow belts? I put vents on my 900 and they were just a band aid. I am not putting any other sled down because the xp is fun to ride, I just dont understand why a 150 hp sled blows belts in under 1000 miles.

If you are looking for an answer from me all I can say is that I do not know. I do know that thumpers are better on belts because of their wider torque band and ability to pull more aggressive clutch weight. You are 100% right that the heat is from belt slippage but also from poor ventilation. The venting is not the cure for belt issues but just a way to help, I know it doesn't hurt. I guess I should have typed more carfully and stated that the majority instead of all have heat issues.

-Seeder

A
Nov 26, 2007
Had my friends dragon 800 -163 blow a belt to shreds after 280 miles yesterday afternoon................I told him to get vents. I thought I would check on here to see if anyone else has this problem and sure enough we got a thread on it.

P
Nov 27, 2007
belt

no belt issues over 400 hard miles and my breakin was about 3 miles on and off the gas then been riding it like I stole it ever since and the heat in the dragon clutch side should not be A surprise as the 05 06 and 07 chassis all had the same issue. just put the vents in. and running the other belts might be cheaper but with the hp and torque of these new sleds I think you will regret it. one good ride on those belts and they are done even though they still look good they just explode all of A sudden? not worth the risk to me anyway's

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you guys are blowing the 3211115 belts, which are the toughest belt I've ever seen then you have some big clutch set up and alignment problems that you address with your dealer.

I've got a lot of miles on my 115 belt on my Belt-eatin 900 rmk that is notoruious for eating belts with no problems.

NEVER take for granted that your clutches are set up, side clearance is set or that deflection is good.

Have you been readjusting your chain tension after every ride as it takes it inital stretch over the first 500 miles... Teh secondary cant respond to backshifting as needed if the chain gives a sloppy torque "feeback signal" to the secondary.

Is your belt side clearance set to the required .015" and the deflection set as well?

Has the alignment and Center to center distance been verified to be correct.

These are things that they can get "close" at the factory but by no means should they be taken for granted by the new owner of a high performance power-sports machine.

Last edited:
Premium Features