• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to stay and unload in the Big Horns?

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
We're going to go to the Bighorns tomorrow maybe and we're wondering what hotels there are close to the snow, and where we can unload to ride. We're looking for something under $100 a night that sleeps 4 people. Luxury isn't important, just somewhere to sleep. Wireless Internet would be a plus but not needed. We would be coming from Eastern South Dakota, not sure if we should stay in Sheridan, Dayton....??????

Oh BTW, there any 18+ year old strip clubs in the area?

F
Nov 26, 2007
Bighorns Wyoming
Bear lodge

Bear lodge would be a good place to stay don't know there room rates but if you had to pay a little more it would be worth it ride right from your front door no travel time that worth sum thing right?!??! Your going to drive far enuff as is There are some other lodges up on 14A but i dont know there names!! Bear has always treated us good up there good staff good food etc etc and they just got 13+" of new snow!! Thats where I would stay www.bearlodgeresort.com is there web site>>>>> As for the clubs dont know of any in those parts!!! "Save your money for gas" Any way hope you SD boys have a good Wyo weekend!!!!

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Oh well on the strip clubs I guess. :rolleyes:

We booked a room in Sheridan. Couldn't find anything in Dayton. Where should we unload at to ride? I assume there's some parking areas along Highway 14? ...or should we just go to Bear Lodge and unload there? I don't know where the best snow is just assuming Highway 14 is the road to take.

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You guys should have got rooms on the mountain instead of down in sherdian, now you will have to drive 45 min. just to get there! As for where to ride go to bear lodge and unload and from there just pick any direction there's lots to choose from!! Have fun I won't make it up there till the 4th!!
We have a cabin at Arrowhead lodge if you guys are still there

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I would see if you can cancel that room and get one at Bear lodge, Arrowhead, or Big horn Mountain lodge (it may have a new name now?) That rode can suck going up from Sheridan if they are getting snow. It would be worth the extra money to stay on top. IMO.

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
all of them places up on top are booked tight. me and shortstop kinda made some last minute planning. how much snow are they suppose to get today/tonight.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
They have gotten alot in the last couple of days but i don't know about the next couple of days

S
Dec 9, 2007
Bighorns

shortstop, There's more snow on the Sheridan side but also more people. As for lodging both Bear Lodge and Arrowhead are ok. As far as the Passage Resort I would'nt recomend them to anyone. My wife and I had reservations for 12-30-07. and 12-31-07. They called yesterday and said they had a party coming in that decide to come in 2 days early, so they booted us. This is how they treat locals, maybe better hospitality if from out of state? Been finally getting snow so you timed it right. Hope you have a good time. P.S. Watch for rocks and stumps still not a very good base. storyboy.

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Well i just moved to bear. Did some riding last 2 days and found some great snow. Down 14A found some Headlight deep stuff. And toward frozen (I think its called that) there is some great snow also in the pines. I would rate 3.5-4 out 5 riden right now. Lots AND LOTS of deep powder but still need some base. Found a good base down 14A. Well all I can say is its starting to get alot better. Worth the drive for up here.

B

BoondockinDragon

Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
We're going to go to the Bighorns tomorrow maybe and we're wondering what hotels there are close to the snow, and where we can unload to ride. We're looking for something under $100 a night that sleeps 4 people. Luxury isn't important, just somewhere to sleep. Wireless Internet would be a plus but not needed. We would be coming from Eastern South Dakota, not sure if we should stay in Sheridan, Dayton....??????

Oh BTW, there any 18+ year old strip clubs in the area?

Stay in Sheridan if you can't stay on top and ask a local how to get to the Red Grade Parking Lot. You might have to ride on some marginal snow for a while, but once your on top it gets better fast and you avoid the drive to Burgess Junction. :D

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Well i just moved to bear. Did some riding last 2 days and found some great snow. Down 14A found some Headlight deep stuff. And toward frozen (I think its called that) there is some great snow also in the pines. I would rate 3.5-4 out 5 riden right now. Lots AND LOTS of deep powder but still need some base. Found a good base down 14A. Well all I can say is its starting to get alot better. Worth the drive for up here.

Do you mean Freezeout?

W

wyodoo

Dec 1, 2007
gillette wyoming
The South Bighorns just got some decent snow over X-Mass weekend. The lodges are not ready for buisiness just yet (under new management) but you can get lodging in Buffalo and the pull up the hill is not nearly as bad as above Sheridan. There are lots of pullouts for this time of year starting at Munkers Pass just below Powder River Pass. As the snow gets better you can also ride from lower on Pole creek road by unloading at the Elgin park scenic turnout.
Have fun!

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
does anyone know how the snow is down there by red grade parking area? Would there be enough to get up top? Also does anyone know if deer haven is open?

mbsieg

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Worland, WY
They quoted me a price of $49.00 for a cabin a Deer Haven for Wed night Said they would rent rooms but no food beer ect yet. Only at ski slope.

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Do you mean Freezeout?

Yes, just learning all the names for up here. New to the Horns. Ill learn when I get to ride. Put in a 11 1/2 hour day today. LONG!!! Heard some reports of decent snow, but still need a base. Sounds like a storm Tomorrow and Monday. Ill give an update Tomorrow Night on whats going on.

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Yes, just learning all the names for up here. New to the Horns. Ill learn when I get to ride. Put in a 11 1/2 hour day today. LONG!!! Heard some reports of decent snow, but still need a base. Sounds like a storm Tomorrow and Monday. Ill give an update Tomorrow Night on whats going on.

Sounds like you are having a great time!!!! Be safe!!! I know the days are long up there!!!

Premium Features