• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How of you guys actually dig avy pits?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Just curious...

We are starting to dig one every ride. Learning alot. Kinda nice to have an idea of what is going on before you decide to shoot up a hill. Dug a pit in Golden yesterday and it was showing the exact opposite of the avy report

Every ride that takes us into terrain that is above 30 degrees...
Some times we will dig several. Snow pack varies, different aspects, weather patterns and other variables can yield a different result in a near by location.

The avalanche report is a general indicator, and reading it is important however they clearly state; "Backcountry travelers should be aware that elevation and geographic distinctions are approximate and that a transition zone between dangers exists."

8emup

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Utah
I listen to the avy report and dig avalanche pits all the time. The info you receive from a pit gives info on that exact location. It's best to have accurate info for the location your riding in. The wind might have been blowing more in this location or maybe some gropal fell in this location. Lots of variables that could be different in different locations. The avalanche report is good for general information.

C
Nov 28, 2007
Kelowna
Just curious...

We are starting to dig one every ride. Learning alot. Kinda nice to have an idea of what is going on before you decide to shoot up a hill. Dug a pit in Golden yesterday and it was showing the exact opposite of the avy report

what was the report and what did u see?

S
Nov 27, 2007
Livingston, MT
Good thread. I always dig to ski, but usually don't dig when sledding as I'm more into boondocking than hillclimbing. The lack of interest in hillclimbing is deffinately related to my lack of faith in the snowpack from pits and skiing. Good point on the contrasting info from pits versus avy hotline. The Avy forcasts are just generalized info that is meant to be one piece of the puzzle when making your decision on what you can do in the bc. Pits are always a good thing and if you are climbing the steep stuff you should be digging pits. Sleds are perfect for releasing large slides, especially when you are at your most vulnerable turning out.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
what was the report and what did u see?

Going from the report there was supposed to be a rain crust and some possible sugar snow about 1/2 way down the snowpack. Dug a pit and it was as stable as ive ever seen. Powder on the top, getting more dense as you went down right to the bottom. Had to literally pound on it many times before it let go.

The avy reports are good, but not the whole story as others have said. I just cringe when I see guys pull up to a hill and start climbing without even so much as taking a look. Follwed by all their buddies pulling up at the bottom of the hill to watch.

D

depsnolvr

Nov 26, 2007
Sound like you may have been on a sled trail or compacted hill. Ive had my head in profiles all week and that dec 5 crust is a BIG deal. Most of the North Columbia region has seen it.

You dont always have to dig to ground, just to the layers of concern, quickly test many areas/aspects on your ride and you should get a good feel for the local conditions

This pic is from Thursday sitting on the opposite side of goat ridge. 8 people sitting in the gully at the bottom. We had 4naturals, 3-1's and 1-2 go off as we watched in Danger Basin

CIMG1448.JPG

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Thats what I thought would be there as well. Really suprised me that it wasnt. We were well out of the normal sled traffic. Dug to the ground just to see how much snow there actually was.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Kitimat B.C.
I dig a profile occasionaly, we will often take out a probe and feel our way down through the layers and I always make a deep side hill cut right on the convex roller of a small hill and see if I can get a release.........the latter 2 methods are not that conventional but I feel they add to the overall picture.............the avy report is studied daily

Premium Features