• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro- Oil leaking When on it's side

G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN
When my nytro is on it's side I notice quite a bit of oil coming out, dealer told me it's from the breather tube. I think there's WAY too much coming out. Any others had this problem? Probably just a breather tube not in correct position?

Thanks!

M
Nov 26, 2007
oil

I've heard (on another forum??) that the oil tank has no check valve so if it's tipped that direction the oil runs into air box??? and drips down from there.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Had mine on it's side on the weekend. Then I almost had it upside down just for good measure. I had a bit of a leak too :eek: Funny how that happens :D Doesn't take much oil to make a mess :(

M

mnescape

Nov 3, 2004
Oak Grove, MN
I have had mine on the severe left side a couple of times with no leaks. After reading about this issue, I even opened the air box to check...nothing. From what I understand, it only happens when on the RIGHT side or possibly upside down....just what I'm hearing.

G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN
I have had mine on the severe left side a couple of times with no leaks. After reading about this issue, I even opened the air box to check...nothing. From what I understand, it only happens when on the RIGHT side or possibly upside down....just what I'm hearing.

I'm seeing it mostly when on the left side:face-icon-small-con:

Edit: When on it's left side and the oil is warm, i would say I lost about a quart in 30 minutes, just doesn't seem right to me. I will try to find where it is coming from this weekend, i haven't had time to tear into it yet and thought someone might know.

Last edited:

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm seeing it mostly when on the left side:face-icon-small-con:

Edit: When on it's left side and the oil is warm, i would say I lost about a quart in 30 minutes, just doesn't seem right to me. I will try to find where it is coming from this weekend, i haven't had time to tear into it yet and thought someone might know.

Yes, if you tip this sled on it side it WILL leak oil from the oil tank (right side of motor) through the breather tube into the airbox, then from the airbox it will leak onto the front of the motor and end up on the belly pan, creating a pool of oil after it sits. I think there is something we can do to eliminate (or at least minimize) this.....it's a mountain sled, it will invariably find itself on other than it's skis at some point, and I don't think I'd like to clean up the airbox everytime I ride. I noticed it the most when I was on the right side, but haven't seen anything from it being on it's left side yet. However, after cleaning up the mess from the right side tip over, I was very quick to shut the motor off when I tipped it to the left side....maybe that helped eliminate the oil pressure in the tank??

M
Dec 1, 2007
Breather tube

definitely is the breather tube my 03 Rx1 does that on the right side as well and bad upside down. I dont currently know of a fix but I just had an idea that would stop the oil if you were to route the breather hose down a couple inches below the engine and then back up above the engine aways like up to the handlebars or something then gravity would take over and when on its top it could not leak kinda like a hose connected to a gas tank when you hold the hose lower than the fuel level is in the tank it leaks out but when you hold it higher it wont that is how I would design that system or if there was some way for a check valve to let air in but not oil out. Later

G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN
Got a recomendation to put some foam in the hose (close to the oil tank) to slow / stop the oil from getting thru, but still allowing air to pass. Did this in 2 minutes... I think it should work o.k.

Will let you know when we get back from new years trip!

THanks All!

When I said left side, the machine was almost upside down. that's the side we had it on when working on it. Mostly would happen when on the right like most said.

Premium Features