• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how do i rejet my carbs?

F
Nov 26, 2007
golden, crawlorado
i pretty much don't know the first thing to tuning my carbs, namely rejetting them.

I put a SLP high flow air box on my polaris gen II 800, and need to rejet a couple sizes. Can anyone briefly tell me how to do this and where the jets actually are, or is there a place on the net that has a write up or a manual to do this?

I searched for a while but can't seem to find anything telling me how to do this. thanks!

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Does your sled have the Kiehn (spelling?) carbs or the Mikuni carbs? I can't remember what Polaris used back then.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Are you qualified?.................................

Maybe you should let someone who knows show you, and what ya gonna do if you dont know what you are doin. Could be costly if you do somthing wrong? Good Luck! -00's

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Main jets are easy, just unhook the carbs from the motor, flip upside down and take out the 4 screws (if there roundslides) main jet will be pretty obvious.

Now pilot jets are a little tuffer and if someone wants to give me a little 101 lesson on them for a Rev it'd be most appreciated.
Do you get to them the same way as Mains, from the bottom???

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Mains are a snap. Flip the carb over and take the #15 (I think) end wrench and unscrew the cap at the bottom of bowl. Use a jet tool to take the main jet out. If you don't have a jet wrench, do as snow snob said above. As for pilot jets I can't remember without having a set of carbs in front of me!

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
Mains are a snap. Flip the carb over and take the #15 (I think) end wrench and unscrew the cap at the bottom of bowl. Use a jet tool to take the main jet out. If you don't have a jet wrench, do as snow snob said above. As for pilot jets I can't remember without having a set of carbs in front of me!

It's actually a 17....

Changing the mains is a breeze... Just follow the advise above and you will be set.... Good luck...

A
Nov 26, 2007
On the 2000 Mikuni carbs there is a brass washer under the jet. You hav eto be careful not to loose it. On newer carbs they don't come out.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
You get real mad and cuss a lot! Maybe punch some walls, causing you to break your fingers and then you have to go the ER. Then they tell you that you can't ride for 4-5 weeks and because of that you start to drink, forcing your wife to take the kids and leave to Gramma's. You decide to chase after them and get a DUI and the cops arrest you. While in jail, the large black man named Bubba
sees that you are defenseless cause you can't make a fist and he makes you bend over to pick up the soap in the shower and he plugs you in the can!

M0ral of the story is, don't lose it!:beer;

A

Abominable

Dec 30, 2003
Evel Knievel jump site, ID
snowest.com
You get real mad and cuss a lot! Maybe punch some walls, causing you to break your fingers and then you have to go the ER. Then they tell you that you can't ride for 4-5 weeks and because of that you start to drink, forcing your wife to take the kids and leave to Gramma's. You decide to chase after them and get a DUI and the cops arrest you. While in jail, the large black man named Bubba
sees that you are defenseless cause you can't make a fist and he makes you bend over to pick up the soap in the shower and he plugs you in the can!

^
l
l
l

lol @ that

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
I lost one once!

But I'm glad to say I never met Bubba!:D

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Main jets are easy, just unhook the carbs from the motor, flip upside down and take out the 4 screws (if there roundslides) main jet will be pretty obvious.

Now pilot jets are a little tuffer and if someone wants to give me a little 101 lesson on them for a Rev it'd be most appreciated.
Do you get to them the same way as Mains, from the bottom???

Don't need to take the float bowl right off, just need to take the bottom plug out. If you don't have a jet wrench, I think it is a 1/4" socket that fits? or a 9/32? Can't remember exactly, my multi bit screwdriver fits it perfectly without the bit in there. Don't overtighten the main when you re-install, brass jets are easy to strip. Losing the washer isn't as big a deal as these guys make it out to be, up until a few years ago, they didn't even come with them. However, you're going to be careful and not lose it though right? Right...

Snowsnob, pilots are on the bottom like the mains, you will have to take the float bowl off to change them depending on the carbs you have. Need a small flatblade screwdriver and just unscrew the old one, screw in the new one. Pretty easy.

G

go high fast

if all you have done is add the air box mod you probably dont need to adjust main jetting. It should run great.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Pilot jets only control the idle fuel circuit of your sled, needles and jet needles from about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and mains control from 1/2 to wide open. I'd wait to see what the air box mod does IMO, before I'd bother changing the pilots since you are not likely running around at idle all day. I have only changed the pilots on one set of carbs in my life, for very high altitude where it was having trouble starting. You can change them if you want though.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Olav Aaen has a GREAT book on makuni carbs it can be found on ebay. It a must for anyone who uses makuni carbs. if you dont know much about jetting i would say read a book or let someone who knows about carbs do it, jetting too lean will make you motor run great........until it burns down!

Premium Features