• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 F-350 Powerstroke

D
Nov 27, 2007
I'm looking for any information I can get on this truck. I'm looking at an 04-F350 power stroke and I don't reallly know much about them.

Any input would be very helpful, how do the injectors hold up on these trucks compared to GM or dodge.

Any flaws? Positives?

Thanks

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Check with your insurance company to see if they'll even cover it. The one I work for just this August put a weight limit of 10,000GVWR and Max payload of 4,000lbs. This eliminates all 1 tons and some 3/4 tons. Stupid I know. I spoke with my cousin who owns a Ford store and some lenders are fidgity lending $ to private parties. I guess the whole fiasco has soemthing to do with peiple who have a commercial use or exposure have been slapping them on their personal policies and then when it comes claims time the insurance company will deny the claim beacuse of misrep of the vehicle use and teh lenders don't get paid neither.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Iowa
Fosgate, My 02 F350 has a gvwr of 9900, so not all 1 tons would be over 10k. I know the weight ratings were bumped up in 05, so I'm thinking in 04 the gvwr of most 3/4 and 1 tons would be under 10k (excluding duallies). Just something to ponder..

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Trust me I went round and round with our head underwriting with me pointing out how retarded it is and how much we'll be missing out. I got documentation from Ford, GMC, Chevy and Dodge and a 40 page power point and conference call. It's pretty much structered that it's too complex to put into our system to catch a vehicle with an acceptable weight rating in a 1 ton or 3/4 ton model in a class so they axx the whole class (IE: All 1 ton's 350,3500 series trucks and higher) Then also with the 3/4 tons they catch nearly all of them with the payload of more than 4000lbs (This is in the Underwriting books but not in any policy, they do not have to list it as it is considered propritary with our company and the divisiono of insurance alllows in in all of our states). With this the Chevy and Dodge 3/4 ton exceeds this for a majority of it's builds (which will exclude them for all the same other reasons). However the Ford and GMC are ok (go figure). I laid it all out in simple terms and my bosses agreed with my argument but in the end i got a big FU we have professionals that have researched this and this is how it will stay.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I have that exact same truck. It's sitting with 86K on it now and nothing but oil, filters, tires, and it's going to need some ball joints. They are squeaking pretty good now. I have replaced the sway bar end links just recently but the ball joints are next.

I had a oil leak early on that was fixed at around 36K and hasn't come back.

It has great oil analysis numbers and everything is as good as can be.

I wouldn't hesistate buying one as long as you know it's not been modded ever, or had anything touched on it. When you get a good one it's best to leave well enough alone.

Do the fuel tank mod so you don't have to stand outside in the winter dribbling that last few drops in. With my 29 gallon tank, I constantly put in well over 31 gallons before the nozzle shuts off. Heck my low fuel light don't come on till 29 gallons used. (They use the same tank as the auto gas trucks which need a lot of excess capacity for expansion. Diesel don't expand at that rate so simply cut out the vent stand pipe and it's all good.)

D
Nov 28, 2007
Iowa
The 03's are the ones to stay away from, the 04's should have the bugs worked out for the most part. I'm a big believer in the 7.3, but the 6.0 can move a truck right along as well. Just make sure to check out the front end of the truck, Ford's are great at eating ball joints. My truck has a tad over 80k on it, and I'm in need of my second set. What configuration is the truck? Reg cab, ext cab, crew cab, etc? I drive a 02 Reg cab f350 6spd, manual 4x4...

Premium Features