• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Had to leave viper on mtn

A
Jan 28, 2010
Nasty grinding noise coming from behind secondary when clutch engages? Snow was to deep for my buddies pro to pull it, I have always rode yamaha for reliability maybe it's time to go to the dark side my brother has a new axis that works pretty well

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
They all break, I have ridden Cat, Doo and now Polaris for the last 5 years and "knock on wood" have have great reliability out of my Pros and now AXYS so far.
The AXYS is so fun to ride! Unless you are a straight up the mountain climber (Yami can't be beat for that) you will have more fun on the AXYS!

A
Jan 28, 2010
Went back up with a posse and a tow truck, fired her up cycled forward and reverse and she took off wish I would have tried that the first day. Oh well you live and you learn, but I think chain in case needs tightened any thoughts

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
i try to be!!! Just trying to keep it entertaining. sounds like something got bound up in there might be worth a quick look for bad links or any damage

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
sounds like you may have had a ice ball stuck in the front of the tunnel mabey.
couldnt hurt to check the chain case though a very loose chain could bind.

A
Jan 28, 2010
Shop said everything looked ok, tightened chain in chain case up hopefully good to go. I did go for a few rips on new axys was impressed with the handling and how it gets back up on top of the snow when on and off gas. Curious as to how they will hold up under a little boost

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
This happened to me. Your drive sprocket and reverse gear pinion weren't fully seated and under a high load rounded off the end of the gears. Most likely want happened is the reverse shoes broke, which prevents the reverse gear from sliding back and forth on the shaft. Your gear shifted to the end on the teeth, so only a small portion on the them were seat. You need to fix it. About $70 for gears and shoes and another $70 for gear oil and engine oil. It sucks. I've thought about buying a 2 stroke, but can't give up the power of a boosted 4 stroke. Good luck. PM if you have questions.

Went back up with a posse and a tow truck, fired her up cycled forward and reverse and she took off wish I would have tried that the first day. Oh well you live and you learn, but I think chain in case needs tightened any thoughts

A
Jan 28, 2010
Took it out today and rode reverse seemed ok, snow was setup more so I wasn't hammering on her as hard but it did seem like there was an abnormal vibration. If the shoe broke would it still go into reverse? Yamaha shop said they couldn't find anything wrong but I highly doubt they opened up chaincase.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Yes, it will still go in reverse. I'm sure they didn't open it up and I'm sure it wasn't the chain tensioner. The chain tensioner has the adjustor bolt and is also spring loaded. Look at your gear site glass window, you might need a flashlight, put the sled in regards else and slow turn the track, inspecting the chain as it turn. Also, check the oil as it comes off the chain. If the oil looks like it very metalic then take it apart. I would see if your dealer would do it for you, they might not though. You don't want to be up in the high country and have this do it again. When the gears get rounded off it leave the ends rough, which further prevents them from seating, so on setup snow with low load the sled works but when load is applied it will start slipping. Let me know if this helps.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Picture of the drive sprocket showing the teeth rounded off at the ends (smaller teeth). When these are seated the sled goes forward and reverse when they aren't.

20151227_101733.jpg

Last edited:
A
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks sharp. Iam gonna take it in and tell them to open up chaincase, the sled only has has 425 miles but due to low snow warranty is up. I hope they treat me right on this problem

T
Mar 30, 2010
you can take off your reverse motor and brass turn gear! that will give you visual sight to the reverse gears and shoes to see if there is any damage

Jan 12, 2015
i agreeeeeee!!!

Nasty grinding noise coming from behind secondary when clutch engages? Snow was to deep for my buddies pro to pull it, I have always rode yamaha for reliability maybe it's time to go to the dark side my brother has a new axis that works pretty well
yamacat,yamacat,yamacr@#
i'll drive the 04' viper over the 14'
don't get critical just my 2 cents.happynewyear!!

Premium Features