• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So how low can you go?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So with the AXYS Pro coming to the market this Fall, I bet there are going to be some sick lightweight custom sleds at the snow shows. My question is how light can we get these things without breaking the bank too much or jeopardizing structural strength?

For a 155 starting at 408 lbs dry for example is 375 lbs obtainable?

Options to consider:

Light weight seat
Light weight can
Light weight pipe
Lighter shocks

expensive options to consider:

Carbon fibre parts

such as fuel tank
rear suspension
tunnel

Any thing else?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I think 380 lbs.= 155. 385 lbs.=163 might be possible pipe,can, head light delete,fox evols, seat,

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
best bang for the buck would be

Burandt seat
Titanium can
Aftermarket pipe
And float shocks

Leave the rest alone are spend big money for very little weight loss.

Did any dealers weigh the pre production sled this spring?

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I think 380 lbs.= 155. 385 lbs.=163 might be possible pipe,can, head light delete,fox evols, seat,

On the PRO, the basic Fox Evols were 1lb heavier, 2.8 lighter in the rear than the stock shocks...

Shocks: 1.8
Pipe: save 1-2lb if coated
Headlight: save less than 2lb, 1.8lb maybe
Can: drop 11lb at least

I also bet the sled ends up actually weighing more like 412lb. Pro was advertised at 415lb but you couldn't buy one that wasn't at least 421lb

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've said it in other posts, but I think a carbon fiber tank can be the ticket. I think if it were offered at 2 gallons less, it could be a big hit. Where I ride, I seldom get my '13 Pro anywhere close to empty. They get great fuel mileage. That's around 13 lbs off with the 2 gallon less tank. Plus the savings of carbon fiber. Easily a 15 lb savings there! Plus, it comes in at a ready to ride figure which most here are not talking about.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I've said it in other posts, but I think a carbon fiber tank can be the ticket. I think if it were offered at 2 gallons less, it could be a big hit. Where I ride, I seldom get my '13 Pro anywhere close to empty. They get great fuel mileage. That's around 13 lbs off with the 2 gallon less tank. Plus the savings of carbon fiber. Easily a 15 lb savings there! Plus, it comes in at a ready to ride figure which most here are not talking about.

Here is a crazy idea......dont fill your tank all the way!

A big day of riding for my group is 30 miles. My tank is almost never full at the start of the day. 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank is plenty for me. Free weight savings. lol Eric

I
Nov 26, 2007
Sorry srx, didn't mean to give a bad rating.

C3 offered a carbon fiber tank for the pro, it retailed at $1500 and saved 7lbs.

You could lose 10lbs with a carbon fiber skid for $5000.

Titanium A arms will be good for a couple pounds for around $700.

A Ti can saves 17lbs for around $550, that's the best bang for the buck, after that it gets expensive, but I think 380 dry isn't unrealistic for around 3g

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have ordered the Diamond S Quiet Titanium can for my 163 Axys. That will get me under 400 lbs. That will be light enough for my needs. Taking more weight off starts to get expensive in a hurry. I spent $3,000 upgrading my carbon fiber mountain bike. I shaved off 3 lbs. in the process. Better components too. If you have a big enough wallet, I don't see 375 lbs. as to hard to attain.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
On the PRO, the basic Fox Evols were 1lb heavier, 2.8 lighter in the rear than the stock shocks...

Shocks: 1.8
Pipe: save 1-2lb if coated
Headlight: save less than 2lb, 1.8lb maybe
Can: drop 11lb at least

I also bet the sled ends up actually weighing more like 412lb. Pro was advertised at 415lb but you couldn't buy one that wasn't at least 421lb

Also the Pro chassis and the AXYS chassis have the clamp on the driveshaft. It's funny how Polaris didn't increase their advertised dry weight by 1 oz. after adding the clamp. I also found it amazing how much heavier my Pro with electric start and piggy back shocks felt compared to my second sled without these. Even with a lithium battery.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
If it were 5lbs, and added some hp it would be a win though... SLP's pipe removes 3 lbs and adds 7hp from what I can tell(9hp and 14lbs with pipe set). Anyone have the actual stock pipe weight?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Cut/Paste from an earlier post.

CarbonTJ chimed in and said even more is possible (below)

Who has some deep pockets that wants me to build them a sled??

Ti Can -18 lbs

LW Pipe -3 lbs

LW seat -2lbs

Carbon Tank -8lbs

Carbon body panels -8lbs

Ti A-Arms -2lbs

Ti / Carbon Rear skid -14lbs

Ti Bolt kit -2lbs

Delete the headlight -2lbs

Ti Running boards (Diamond-S) -3lbs

Drop the center driver -1.5lbs

And I know I'll catch heck for this... but Walker-Evans Air shocks...
They are the absolute lightest and, IMO, work very well for a mountain-only sled.
For me... with good valving, good shafts and good oil... they flat out worked .
-8lbs

-71.5 lbs total

Puts the 155 PRO, with a stock weigh of 408 lbs dry, at about 336.5 lbs DRY ......WOW...
But you are probably looking at some serious cash!!

That would make it about 400 lbs even...RTR.

Go with a lightest decent mountain track... say the 2.25" power claw 153".... and you could drop another 4 lbs out of the sled.

Do the "Carl's Cut" on the skis... good for a half pound of plastic.

Take a .6lbs of rotating mass with the TJ carbon clutch cover.

If TJ does some spindles for the the AXYS mountain... figure -2 lbs.

So with those items... Hmm... a 329 lb sled may be possible... Crazy:crazy:

I am working on a few new parts that will save even more weight for next year. I hope to have some of them out testing this spring.

The only comment I have is our full carbon fiber body kit (hood, side panels, front bucket, rear dash, lower fenders, WS) will save closer to 18-20 lbs total from stock, that includes eliminating the headlight.

Clutch cover with ti pins and ti bolt is 1 lbs savings of spun weight. which equates to roughly 7 lbs of non spun weight...

I believe a 325-330 lbs sled is possible with out a turbo in the very near future.

TJ

Last edited:
N

northstarrick

Feb 4, 2012
that's all great but, what about snow/ice build up once ridden in the snow? I know the lighter to start with the lighter with the build up. a carbon fiber tunnel would make the most sense. no ice build up.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Dollars

How much would this cost?!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post
Ti Can -18 lbs

LW Pipe -3 lbs

LW seat -2lbs

Carbon Tank -8lbs

Carbon body panels -8lbs

Ti A-Arms -2lbs

Ti / Carbon Rear skid -14lbs

Ti Bolt kit -2lbs

Delete the headlight -2lbs

Ti Running boards (Diamond-S) -3lbs

Drop the center driver -1.5lbs

And I know I'll catch heck for this... but Walker-Evans Air shocks...
They are the absolute lightest and, IMO, work very well for a mountain-only sled.
For me... with good valving, good shafts and good oil... they flat out worked .
-8lbs

-71.5 lbs total

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Here is a crazy idea......dont fill your tank all the way!

A big day of riding for my group is 30 miles. My tank is almost never full at the start of the day. 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank is plenty for me. Free weight savings. lol Eric

Yeah, I do that now. What I'm driving at is a smaller tank that weighs less in material.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I know I could personally drop fifteen pounds for free by eating less junk!
On order for my sled is a Diamond S titanium can, probably all I will do

Premium Features