• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New SKS owner :) Ski Question

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
I'm the worst kind and Love it!! I'm an East Side rider that's been pounding the crap out of our Absolutely Awesome Western Mountain trail systems here in Maine. Right now I ride a 2015 Axys Switchback S 800 H.O. and I live for this sh*t. I know how to set up a trail sled for my style of riding and that has always required me throwing away the stock skis immediately.

I just SnowChecked an SKS Voodoo Baby w/ Black tunnel & blue rails. I'm 45 years old and completely new to Mountain riding. I've done a little off trail with my Switchbacks from time to time but that really doesn't touch the same bases in comparison with riding style or sled build. That's why I'm hear on SnoWest picking brains.

Here is my Question: Are these stock Gripper Skis any good? Some good opinions here would be appreciated? I will need all the help I can get. HAAA! :face-icon-small-win

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Grippers are the best stock skis on the market IMO. An upgrade would be SLP mohawks, but not worth the money when the stockers are EXTREMELY close anyway.

I would work on setting up the stock suspension the way you like, then upgrade shocks if you feel the need. Personally, after dropping 14k on a sled, I don't plan on dropping another 2k on shocks. I would rather just ride it!

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
Oh I like to spend money. It's actually Fun isn't it?

On a Serious note.... I'm 280 pounds dressed and had to change all the springs in my brand new Switchback Pro-S. Would you say the Suspension has weaknesses for a Heavy guy like myself? If so where? Center? Rear? Ski's? All? Lets hear it.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Here is my Question: Are these stock Gripper Skis any good? Some good opinions here would be appreciated? I will need all the help I can get. HAAA! :face-icon-small-win

The 16's are supposed to fix the major design flaw of the grippers in years past - saddle ribs blowing out stock rubber bushing when set in narrow or wide, creating a lawn dart effect. Running it narrow or wide in heavy, wet, crusty snow accelerates the issue. Other bushings like doo or C&A can negate the problem. If this is fixed with the production skis like they said it will be, there is no reason for a rational person, or someone who doesn't work for a competing ski manufacturer or just likes to be different, to ever consider another ski for the RMK - they work, are tough, and are light. Congrats on the order - the drug you're going to be taking will cost you alot more money in the future...

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
280 lbs....your gonna need 4 spring at a minimum. Should revalve all 4 shocks to go with it. Stock skis work great, you almost never seen a Pro RMK with anything other then the stock skis. Eric

Pine-sol

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Mohawks will serve you much better. It's just a better ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Grippers are great Ski's however the X2's from USI are amazing. Tuneable and an improvement on and off the trail.

Premium Features