• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are Gen II and Edge seats the same?

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
not without lots of headache!! the gen 2 has the cooler lines under the seat and the fuel tank. You have to buy a edge tank and seat and then figure out a way to get the coolant lines under the tunnel. (IE a u cooler) it is not an easy task. Hope this helps

B
Nov 27, 2007
My Gen II didn't have coolant lines under the seat but the tipped up tunnel on an edge creates creates a gap under the seat. I've seen it done though, doesn't look that bad when you're covered in snow.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
I had an edge boss seat on my 00 Gen II. I don't remember coolant lines running under the seat. Only had it that way for a month before i put an edge tunnel on so it was just held in place with velcroe and not the buttons.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
It depends on the model of Gen II you have. If you have the style that has the one piece seat and tank then you'll have the cooler lines to deal with, and I can help ya out there since I just went down this road. If you have the model with the seat and tank are seprate then the edge seat should mount right up ( and as far as the kick up, just torque the rear bolts down and it takes care of most of the gap).

M

mtnbound

Dec 9, 2002
Kennewick, WA
Escape seat on a gen II

I have an 03 Escape seat on my 01 GenII. Here are some pics.

sleds017.jpg

sleds016.jpg

sleds015.jpg

sleds018.jpg

R
Nov 26, 2007
There were 2 styles of gen II. I had a 99 rmk with the one piece tank and seat combo, and a 2000 with a seperate gas tank and seat. On the later the tank and seat are exactly the same as the edge. THe fittings in the tank may differ from the "gen II" to the edge however the seats are the same

R
Nov 26, 2007
I would say yes, if the tank looks like the ones in the pics above, any gen II or edge seat will work with that style tank

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had a '99 RMK 700 with the seat/tank combo. It weighed a ton. I switched to the Edge style seat/tank combo. Looked better, much lighter and more comfortable. However, it was a chore for me to mold the tank for the cooler lines. I even put a hole in the tank and had to plastic weld it. The seat had to be dremel-ed and foam removed. The 2000 RMK's have the seperate seat/tank setup.

RMK700_sm.JPG

T
Nov 29, 2007
I am right in the middle of a seat swap on my 2000 SKS 700. Mine had the bench seat (one peice seat/tank) and I bought a seat, tank and shroud from an Edge chassis. Unfortunately my coolant lines ran on top of my tunnel as well, so I had to go with a 'U' style cooler that rivets to the bottom. It is a little bit of work, and some mild fabrication to get everything lined up right, and mounted properly so it looks like a stock installation. I am about half way done, but it will be worth it when its all done!

This is the heat exchanger I went with. A little bit of money, but way better cooling than stock, plus I removed all the stock exchangers and coolant lines. This will be simpler, and lighter. I figure I will save about 5lbs just from this setup. Not to mention I bought an AAEN single pipe for my sled as well, dropping an addition 20lbs right there. With the Edge seat and tank, that’s another 5lb + savings.

3 mods, 30 + pounds shaved off the sled. Not bad!

http://www.crazymtn.com/Pages/products.html

I’ll post up some pics tonight when I get home from work.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
Temp,
I'd be interested to see those pics, and if I ever get done finding stuff on my sled that the past owner neglected I'll post pics of mine. I also just got done with the seat swap (99 RMK 700) and went with a U cooler for mine. Amazing how nice it turns out when all done. But yes its some fab work to get everything in place and working.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Here are the pics, and some of the mod's that need to be done to make the seat/tank/shroud work on the older GenII with the under the tunnel U-cooler.

IMGP3322.jpg

IMGP3320.jpg

IMGP3326.jpg

IMGP3327.jpg

IMGP3353.jpg

IMGP3354.jpg

IMGP3357.jpg

Nothing is mounted yet. The angle brackets will most likely be bolted to the top of the foot hole guard. The triangle brackets for mounting the shroud properly will also be bolted to the frame. The U-Cooler will be riveted to the bottom of the tunnel using 3/16" STAINLESS STEEL rivets with a grip range of .125"-.250" (aluminum rivets are too weak, and with the tunnel flexing will probably become loose after a while) New holes will also have to be drilled for the tank and seat.

I will add more pics as I make more progress. Notice how low it sits with no shocks and coils in it!! A real lowrider/ice oval racer look.

Its pretty stock for now, but here is a list of the mods I am doing to it real soon (the parts are on their way!!)

- AAEN single pipe (ceramic coated)
- High flow air box
- SLP Boost Bottle
- SLP Pre Filter
- Edge coils (to get the front end off the ground
- 136"x15"x1.75" camoplast paddle track
- Tempa-Flow

Thats about it for now. Any questions, just ask.

M
Nov 21, 2006
Pocatello, ID
I had a '99 RMK 700 with the seat/tank combo. It weighed a ton. I switched to the Edge style seat/tank combo. Looked better, much lighter and more comfortable. However, it was a chore for me to mold the tank for the cooler lines. I even put a hole in the tank and had to plastic weld it. The seat had to be dremel-ed and foam removed. The 2000 RMK's have the seperate seat/tank setup.

I have a '98 rmk 700 and would like to do this same mod, how did you mold the tank? I was thinking it would be easy to soften it up with a heat gun and press it down on something hard, say a 1/2"- 3/4" pipe. If this similar to what you did I may have to re-think it and go with a u-cooler. However one of my eventual mods is to swap over to rail coolers like on the edge chassis. Also I was thinking of building a "box" under the seat to make it more like a high-rise. I'd hinge the box and have a little more storage.

Last edited:
T
Nov 29, 2007
I was wondering myself if it is possible to mold the tank around the coolant lines. I didnt really want to try heating up the tank and possibly ruining it. Not to mention the seat will have to be modified as well to allow room for the rear coolers (Unless you built about a 1" 'box' to get it high enough) That would look kinda crappy in my opinion.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
I also thought of trying to do the molding of the tank, but between the shipping costs and costs of buying a new tank if I screwed up I just went with the U-cooler and the added weight savings of that route. If a person had enough time and patients I'm sure the tank could be molded using a 3/4" pipe and a heat gun.

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
If a person looks around you can find nice 2000 2001 Polaris RMKs out there. 700s 800s or even 600s. for really cheap. like around $2000 give or take if you look for them....
So this is the part were you might get your feels hurt. Why would you spend time and money the older RMK? Sell your sled and buy and newer sled.
That 2000 SKS looked like a clean sled. should have sold it.

Premium Features