• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro RMK vs Summit?

J
Sep 20, 2014
Always been a doo rider. Still ride doo on the trails. Bought a pro for my son and one for myself for off trail riding. We have pro 155. One an 800 and one 600.
Has anyone owned both or rode both? I like the pro but wondering how the Summit would be. My son likes his pro. I'm back and forth on mine, having a hard time to get use to it, wondering if it's me always be use to a doo or not.
Pro vs Summit opinions?

T
Nov 11, 2008
This is a very touchy subject on some forums. Why I have no idea? Some people want to believe what they ride is the only thing worth riding and everything else is junk and you should be ashamed to ride anything but a Doo.

Anyhow, here is my thoughts, mine and mine only.

Having been on Doo for a number of years and watching people who I ride with excel as a rider on the RMK I was on the fence until this past fall when I sucked it up and picked up a Pro. I had previously had quite a bit of seat time on them and each time my confidence grew greater on the Pro for the type of riding we do.

The release of the T3 Summit was a big selling feature for some people but it didn't address the Summit's short comings that are the same on the XP and XM. The new Summits with the flex edge and t-motion, small changes to the geometry and such do turn okay riders into good ones. The ability to initiate a movement with less effort is nice, but I don't find that was the downside of the Summit.

The RMK holds a line better, be its suspension design, or the way its chassis design performs it works better for backcountry technical riding. The more aggressive you ride it, the more you get from it. It took me a little time to get used to the RMK steering, but not so much that it was foreign. I find on the RMK you don't always have to be as far forward, it is more forgiving where you stand but instantly responds to rider input in a predictable way.

Once of the things I continue to dislike about the Summit is the way it wants to dive. Typically the Summits are very soft where the Pro chassis is very rigid. Just look at a Summit climbing a sled deck ramp, the front suspension collapses where the Pro is very tippy. Small changes to the Pro suspension usually can be noticed right away, where with a Summit you can change a lot and it still rides the same. The Summit an its torsion springs are in need of an upgrade. They make a good mountain sled that works awesome on bumpy trails. I would rather have an awesome mountain sled that works like crap on the trails, basically the Pro because I don't ride the trails other than to access the back country.

If Doo could update their suspension, step back from being so far rider forward as I think they have continued to go forward to try and compensate for a bad design and fix the front end so it doesn't dive I would go back to one. I love the etec and the way it makes power, I don't like the crappy TRA and it having to be rebuilt often. I think Polaris has some great clutching even stock, and the Team products don't seem to have as many issues. I do like that the Pro is lighter, being a light guy I can feel the difference of the sled being lighter.

For me, the Pro RMK works better. :face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
I have a 2015 pro 800, 2012 pro 600 and lots of ride time on a 2014 skidoo and 2015 skidoo both were 800 154 sp's. The difference was the 2014 had the skinz Rasmussen handle bar setup..that is a way better setup than the stock skidoo set up. I found it way easier to execute technical moves. However, I like my pro better for the fact that it does seem to hold technical lines better with less effort. Doo is nicer to drive on trail though. I do like the stock polaris clutch set up better too.

G

gotsnow

Dec 2, 2007
South Dakota
Doo fuel economy is awesome.. wish Poo could improve

Without sacrifice wish Polaris could improve their fuel economy! My buddy's etec almost doubles mine!!!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I've had both and could live with either. Really wanted that orange 15 xm this year but couldn't find any dealers who wanted to deal so I'm more than happy with my 15 TD. Love the etec but the chassis poo has is way ahead of cat and doo.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Last season I had my 2013 Summit XM and rode my friend's 2014 Pro RMK to compare. There were things I liked better on each, and in the end I ordered a 2015 Summit.

I really liked the 800 ETEC engine better (smoother, more power, better throttle pull) and was concerned with all the issues with the Polaris 800. The fit and finish was much better on the Summit too. For me, the Summit handled better as well, more stable and easier to turn and maneuver.

I really liked how light the Polaris felt and the gripper skis were great. The Polaris track was better in the real light snow but not as good in the firmer stuff. The Polaris seemed to trench less than the Summit too.

In the end, I liked things about the RMK but it was not enough to make me switch. I'm open to an RMK in the future, especially if the upgrades to the 800 motor end up in the RMK and the motor proves itself.

It really does help if you can ride both.

T

Torgenrud

Aug 3, 2013
Montana
I bought a new Ski Doo T3 this year and couldn't be happier with it, the power of the etec and the way it delivers the power all together is great, but in the end both sleds are quite different and I really think it depends on your riding style, some people switch from doo to poo and love it and some switch from poo to doo and love it. I think seat time on both is really the only way to make the best decision.

Buy the one that makes you feel like you know what you're doing when you ride it and not like a beginner.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I bought a new Ski Doo T3 this year and couldn't be happier with it, the power of the etec and the way it delivers the power all together is great, but in the end both sleds are quite different and I really think it depends on your riding style, some people switch from doo to poo and love it and some switch from poo to doo and love it. I think seat time on both is really the only way to make the best decision.

Buy the one that makes you feel like you know what you're doing when you ride it and not like a beginner.

yah my friend was a long time polaris guy and went to doo and he cant stand the polaris steering now. Im the opposite i cant stand the doo steering its just the way i ride i push down and pull up on the bars to carve around, on a doo this just turns the steering. i also find on my bro in bro in laws m1100T with doo steering i feel like im going to fly off an die under boost.....on my pro i just lock up my arms over bumps and stuff and the steering stays straight the doo steering still can turn when you do this.....

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
I have been riding a pro 600 since 2012 and I love the chassis, I moved my ski stance into 39 o.c and I always set up my front suspension with less preload for softer steering. Then I got a chance to ride the XM briefly two years ago and then ride the new 174 T3 a couple weeks ago. I honestly believe there is not much that separates these two chassis with the changes I made. Handling characteristics are very similar, and I actually found the Summit took much less input to carve on flatground and through the trees. I found myself over exerting in a sidehill and would end up cutting much to hard. I have always owned polaris but am very impressed with the new summits and would seriously consider one for my next sled if Polaris does not put the new 800 in the mountain for next model year.

With both a 800 pro or 800 summit you really cant go wrong. Pick the one you are most comfortable with and would rather have in a tight situation. That's the winner. Just my .02. Goodluck with your decision!

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I find the summit xm more comfortable then my pro...I am 6'4" and the summit I find you need to be 6-8" farther back on the running board which is more comfortable to me. you have to move around more on a summit then just pushing forward on the bars or leaning back on your leg like you do on a pro but I'm leaning to the xm next year.

C
Dec 24, 2014
You folks that have Poo engine concerns have been spending too much time on the Doo forums. The engines just are not blowing up in the numbers some of you seem to think. I'd bet the '13 and up Pros run just as long as the e-tec, both probably need a top end around 2000 miles, neither is likely to last 5000 miles.

Then the power thing... I guess everybody has their own experiences but mine, with an e-tec and 800 cat in my group is that the Pro easily performs with the others.

My buddy is a dyed in the wool Doo guys for years. He hates my Pro. I went and did a '14 Doo demo ride with him. Took me a while to get used to the Doo. I had fun but it seemed like a lot more work to me. I don't feel the power difference, I think t-motion and the flex track is exactly why the Pro holds a line better and my Pro was dead reliable all last winter. So much so that I am picking up a new one tomorrow.

J
Sep 20, 2014
I'm not worried about motor blowing up at all. I own both doo's and Polaris. Motor is least of my issue. Just was trying to see what people thought of each. They all blow motors and have issues.
My uncle has well over 5k on his 800 Poo and still good compression.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Then it is down to how you feel on each. I love the Pro, perfect for me and getting better all the time. I was not nearly as comfortable on the Doo and it feels high effort to me in the trees.

D
Oct 22, 2008
Longview WA
I have 2 XM 800's 154" one an SP an a new Free Ride. I need it to snow! I would sell em all an go to an 03 RX1 for some SNOW! Poo, Doo, Cat all make good sleds IMO I personally like the fit an finish on Doo an I have a good local dealer. So in 09 I went from Poo to Doo. Now I am an odd ball in my group!

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Polaris VS Skidoo

I like my Pro. Go to youtube and type in "Can you dangle" Funny little vid. May offend some, there are cuss words.

Stone

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
I like my Pro. Go to youtube and type in "Can you dangle" Funny little vid. May offend some, there are cuss words.

Stone

hah. seen the dangle vid on snow and mud forum. good stuff.

my buddy has a 13' summit. i have a 15' rmk (coming off 06 summit-x last year). we traded for quite a while last week and i liked his summit, but everything was much easier to initiate on my rmk when we started playing on hills. I liked his motor, didn't like his seat/bars/position as much as i liked the RMK's. I liked fit/finish/mpg of his sled also.

Premium Features