• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Attn EDGE RMK GUYS: Cat ROLLER or R8 helix or 50/34 Mtn Cut

M
Nov 26, 2007
Forest Lake MN
I need to get a Helix for my button clutch. Its a single piped 2002 rmk 800 6-9k feet. either a R8 or a 50/34 mountain cut slp Is what I have heard.

I don't feel like spending 83$ at slp so if you have one that you would sell cheaper let me know. 651 308 9722 thanks, Mike

Another option I have is I can get a cat roller for 80$. It currently has the Red spring and a 53/51 helix on it. Should I just use this instead????

Sorry I would have searched this forum yesterday but didn't realize it was going to switch.

T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
I tried cat type rollers, and I tell you what the SLP 50/36 mountain with SLP yellow/puirple spring with 10-64's and an almond round up front is where it is at!

VHOK

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2002
Helena, Montana
I agree with TRAV, that is a good all around setup with a 2:05 gear ratio for 6 to 9K feet elevation. Use good buttons in the secondary, the yellow/purple spring will wipe out a set of stock buttons fairly fast.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
While you have it apart replace the big bearing on the secondary. The last one I bought was 11$ from POO. The inner bearing is not replaceable. That way your secondary will wear into the new helix/buttons/bearing together.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
You can get the most power to the ground with the button hands down

I have messed around with all of them. If you ask anyone that drags seriously, they all will say button. And travrmk setup is one of the best/ most used for mtn setup out there. It works. You may want to get a slp black/grey for the spring time.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Forest Lake MN
I talked to winterbrew on the old forums a while back and I am pretty sure he said this setup

for 6-9k

50-34 Mountian cut
Blue/Red Drive Spring, 140/320
Black/Grey Driven Spring 36/80
10-62's
I ordered it yesterday before this post had so many replies. Basically I am wondering do you think this will work just as well???

thanks Mike

T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
I talked to winterbrew on the old forums a while back and I am pretty sure he said this setup

for 6-9k

50-34 Mountian cut
Blue/Red Drive Spring, 140/320
Black/Grey Driven Spring 36/80
10-62's
I ordered it yesterday before this post had so many replies. Basically I am wondering do you think this will work just as well???

thanks Mike

It will work, but won't pull as hard. I tried it BTW, among others.

Nov 26, 2007
srry im not tryin to poach here, but iv been wondering about the same thing only on an 02 rmk 700. i ride at 6000-9000 feet. my sled is all stock other than clutching and gearing. i run 10-60's with the almond round, and a 50-32 mountain with the slp blk/gry spring. gearing is at 19-43. my ? is do you guy's think i could pull a moutian 50-36, cuz my sled seems to pull really hard out of the hole but flattens out way fast, would the steeper helix make it pull harder, also i have the 151 series 4 track thanks for the info, srry i didn't want to start a new thread,

T
Dec 1, 2007
Mt. Pleasant UT
Just try this. The arctic roller with a straight 47 degree cut with a yellow spring. with 10-58 weights and a round almond. You will not be dissapointed one bit. Pulls harder than any oter setup out there. let me know what you find. When anyone tries this pm me and tell me what you find. Its the best.

T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
Just try this. The arctic roller with a straight 47 degree cut with a yellow spring. with 10-58 weights and a round almond. You will not be dissapointed one bit. Pulls harder than any oter setup out there. let me know what you find. When anyone tries this pm me and tell me what you find. Its the best.

I tried a straight 49 in my hyperlite (fancy cat style roller) 51/49, straight 51, 64/46 with a variety of springs, and weights, none of them were even close to the setup I run in the button. In my sled the straight 47 would not be near agressive enough. Definatelly not the best for my sled. The 51/49 with the cutler black/white, and 10-58's was the closest of them all. I gave up on the roller clutches as they are not as good as the button for all terrains in my experience.

T
Dec 1, 2007
Mt. Pleasant UT
I tried a straight 49 in my hyperlite (fancy cat style roller) 51/49, straight 51, 64/46 with a variety of springs, and weights, none of them were even close to the setup I run in the button. In my sled the straight 47 would not be near agressive enough. Definatelly not the best for my sled. The 51/49 with the cutler black/white, and 10-58's was the closest of them all. I gave up on the roller clutches as they are not as good as the button for all terrains in my experience.
Ya i guess it all depends on the sled and rider weight. I only weigh 160 so that makes the straight 47 plenty aggressive and it holds out the best on long pulls. I have found it is the best for climbing major hills. But just try out what you like and find what works best for you. thats the best advice.

Premium Features