• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help educate me please - Polaris 120

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Been trying to gain as much knowledge about the 120s as I can, but have a long ways to go. My biggest issue right now is finding a replacement for the bushing that goes in the clutch housing in the picture. Who ever owned this sled before me did piss poor maintenance, and in turn left me with a pretty thrashed clutch.

DOMINATOR_II_2.jpg

Here's a run down of what I know (and think I know) about the current sled setup. Any help on how to better set this up and make it run as good as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Polaris 120 - 2002 IIRC
Factory Robin Motor - no clue if anything done internally
(Dominator??) Race clutch w/ 14T #35 quick change sprocket
Quick change hub w/ 54T #35 sprocket installed - Also have 44T, 55T, 56T sprockets
Governor Rod Kit
Power Intake Kit
Straight piped

I've heard to seat the air screw and back out 1 1/4 turn, is that correct? The idle screw is set and idles good. The sled definitely needs cleaned up, but ran great until the clutch issue. I have been playing around with the gearing and it seemed like the 14/54 was just right for what we have ridden in. I have 3 'stock' looking clutches with 14T gears, but don't have the key for the slot in the crank to keep it from spinning. Will probably have to order parts either way, so I'll get one. If anyone can ping me some good info I would appreciate it. Thx

racer

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Thanks for the link. I was able to get that bushing and a service manual ordered up. I put a stock clutch on it for last weekend that worked ok. I need to see what springs are in it because it had quite a bit higher engagement that the racing clutch.

I am going to pull the whole motor out and degrease the chassis/clean everything up. I was wondering if anyone had problems with the throttle being pretty hard to push?? I am going to go through the carb and see if it's just gummed up or something, but it's about as hard to push the throttle as an old rack carb setup. Not sure when/if the cable has ever been replaced, but I'd like to get it so my boy doesn't have to push with his palm all the time. He's a pretty good size kid for his age, and it's still pretty tough for him.

Little clip from the end of the day Saturday. Sorry about the sound, need to try the little rubber insert.

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Thanks for the link. I was able to get that bushing and a service manual ordered up. I put a stock clutch on it for last weekend that worked ok. I need to see what springs are in it because it had quite a bit higher engagement that the racing clutch.

I am going to pull the whole motor out and degrease the chassis/clean everything up. I was wondering if anyone had problems with the throttle being pretty hard to push?? I am going to go through the carb and see if it's just gummed up or something, but it's about as hard to push the throttle as an old rack carb setup. Not sure when/if the cable has ever been replaced, but I'd like to get it so my boy doesn't have to push with his palm all the time. He's a pretty good size kid for his age, and it's still pretty tough for him.

Little clip from the end of the day Saturday. Sorry about the sound, need to try the little rubber insert.

Thanks for sharing, looked like he was havin' a blast!

My daughter got a POLARIS 120 when she was 3 1/2 and she's a bit small for her age and never had an issue with the throttle.

You may want to try spraying some TEFLON spray lube INSIDE the throttle cable, see if that helps at all.

IF the "REACH" is the issue, you can trim down the lever a bit, but that would then require a bit more effort to press (less leverage)

Last edited:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Thanks, that's a good idea for the teflon stuff. We let him use the stretchy gloves so he can grip the whole bar, so reach isn't a problem. I will be busy with racing the next week or so, but I plan on getting this thing into good shape soon.

Now if we could just get some new snow.................

Premium Features