• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grip Warmers for 08 WR450F

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I want to add some grip warmers to my 08 WR450F for this winter and I don't really know what I need, exactly. I would like to run the warmers with a switch (Hi/Low settings possible?) and also from the magneto, not the battery. Do I just tap into my headlight power since it too only runs from the magneto?

Complete novice here when it comes to electrical work on dirt bikes. Any help would be great! Thanks!

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Many will run from ac power. Your headlight is ac.. Try to find the ones with a rubber strain relief at the grips, they last longer than the ones with bare wires. I saw some decent ones at Cycle gear a few days ago..
Sorry I dont have a direct link

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
I have been wondering the same, but before i try grip heaters im just going to use hand guards and carry an extra set or two of gloves. My brother did just fine last year on his bike, and when his hands did get cold he just stuck them in front of the exhaust for a minute or so.

V
Sep 22, 2008
HERES WHAT I DID FOR BETTER HEAT RESULTS , PURCHASED THE CORK WRAP WHICH IS THE BASE LAYER BETWEEN THE RUBBER GRIP AND HANDLE BAR IT WHAT SKIDOO USES ON THERE BAR WARMERS FOR INSULATION ,THEN FILLED THE HANDLE BARS WITH SPRAY INSULATION FOAM ,THAN YOU NEED TWO SETS OF HAND GRIPS BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED THE LARGE THROTTLE GRIP FOR BOTH ENDS OF THE BAR TO HAVE CLEARANCE FOR SLIDING OVER THE CORK AND THE HEAT ELEMENT,REMEMBER SET HEAT ELEMENT INWARD FROM EDGE TO LEAVE ROOM ON THE ENDS TO CUT OFF GRIPS FOR GUARDS INSTALL HOPE THIS HELPS .

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I have an 03 wr I am going to do the same too, it even says in my directions to go off the head light, thats my plan

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
spi

I have been using the spi ones. loop the wires around the bar one time then down the handle bars.

Last winter I tried a set of those gauntles, they are awsome. I just wore a pair of moto gloves and stayed warm on a 10degree day.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have been using the spi ones. loop the wires around the bar one time then down the handle bars.

Last winter I tried a set of those gauntles, they are awsome. I just wore a pair of moto gloves and stayed warm on a 10degree day.

10 degrees. I,m sta-in home!

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
it looks like most of you guys have headlights to tap for power, but where would a guy tap power on a race bike w/ no headlight?

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
If your bike has wrap around guards, the gauntlets work great. No need for heaters. I use the spi heaters also. Just make sure to wrap electrical tape around bar where the wires connect to heater. That is the weak point where they will break. I run two heaters on left and one on the right. Off road rider is the one to talk to about powering anything on a bike.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
it looks like most of you guys have headlights to tap for power, but where would a guy tap power on a race bike w/ no headlight?

My understanding is that the magneto on the race bikes don't put out enough additional power to enable the use of grip warmers and other accessories (like a light). Apparently you need to have a new stator installed to generate more power.... that's just what I've heard.

Premium Features