• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ORANGE CRUSH

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Started about a month or so ago but I have only just started making head way. I am not seeing very many posts this summer on projects so I will start one.

ORANGE CRUSH IS A 07 M1000 CHASSIS WITH A 03 900 CARB ENGINE. NO EFI TO KEEP COST DOWN, AND THIS SET UP HAS NEVER GAVE ME ANY PROBLEMS UNLIKE THE COUNTLESS I HAVE HAD WITH THE EFI SYSTEM!
OH AND THE 900 IS LIKE 20LBS LIGHTER THE M1000 WEIGHS 92 LBS WITH YPIPE AND MAYBE SOME COOLANT IN IT! THE 900 WEIGHS 75LBS IN THE SAME FORM! I CAN LIFT THE 900 WITH ONE HAND AND IT IS A BIT OF A STRUGGLE TO LIFT THE 1000 JUST FYI!

OK PROBLEM AREAS:

1. ENGINE MOUNTS! FIXED WE WILL SEE HOW THEY HOLD UP!
2. COOLING HAD TO REMOVE FRONT HEAT EXCHANGER FOR TWO REASONS ONE TOLERANCES, AND ICE SCREWS I USED IN RMSHA A FEW YEARS BACK ONE WEDGED IT SELF BETWEEN THE COOLER AND THE TOP OF THE TUNNEL! DAMN ERICKSON BOYS TOLD ME THIS WOULD HAPPEN DID I LISTEN NOOOO!
3. EXHAUST TWINS OR SINGLE I HAVE A SLP SINGLE PIPE SET BUT MAY HAVE TO MOD! I CAN MOD THE Y PIPE TO ANGLE UP A FEW MORE DEGREES AND CHANGE THE DOWN TUBE ON THE CAN SIDE THAT WOULD BE THE EASYEST FIX!

SO IF ANY OF YOU KEYBOARD :face-icon-small-win MECHANICS OR CUSTOM SLED BUILDERS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FEEL FREE!

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Update on Orange Crush:
Engine is in. The cooling system in almost complete, exhaust and steering are next!

Like I have said before if anyone has any suggestions please feel free I like to consider outside prospectives to better my options!

I will post pics ASAP!

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Not yet on pics I am using methods of mounting the engine that seem a little Rough to some. New steering location ETC. TRY TO POST PICS ASAP!

B
Nov 17, 2008
I was looking to see how you got the 42mm offset for clutch alignment because the PTO is too short on the 900 but I see you have implemented a spacer behind the side mount plate which is a good idea. Are you going to re-mount the steering post base on the rail you have mounted on the steering hoop? That would help for air filters. The big chunk cut out of the front might be an issue though as it is the "sternum" of the bulkhead which supports the shock mounts and upper a-arms. I'm guessing you chopped that for exhaust clearance, maybe a fat bar on top of pipes to re-enforce. Looks good, send more pics.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
I mounted a piece of 90 deg. aluminum on the cross bar on the steering hoop that the steering is cut and mounted to. Today I ran my custom double pass cooling system pics will fallow. Still need exhaust and a 162X15-3p camo ex. if anybody has something that might work let me know

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
OK JUST GOT INFO BACK FROM JAWS AND THEY ARE GOING TO SEND PIPES TO ME SO I CAN FIT THEM AND WELD THE PIPES THEN FINNISH THEM!

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
UPDATES:

1: COOLING DONE UNTIL FIRST START-UP/RIDE.
2: EXHAUST JAWS D-SERIES TWINS FOR 900.
3: NEW 162X15X2.5 CAMO TRACK
4: PAINT HEADS ORANGE:face-icon-small-coo
5: REPLACE WORN-OUT PARTS

POSSIBLE CHANGES:
1: NEW SEAT
2: UPDATE TUNNEL
3: CHANGE FRONT AND SIDE PANELS

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Pretty cool.

Keep 'em coming. I wanna see this completed project. Really would like to see some video of it rippin'! Good luck.

D

Double A

Nov 27, 2007
Central Washington
Sweet. I have one too! It's a blast to ride. The Jaws D pipes work good for me with engine modifications. I think they will work okay without engine mods too. I choked them down a little at the stinger.
Make sure to weld a support from the left to the right steering/spindle towers. Your pipes can fit under, then wrap around over the support. The bulkhead is not strong enough where the material has been removed with out the additional support tube.

If you don't already have any other power mods and want to someday, get hooked up with www.ruthpower.com

Looks like your doing a great job ! Hope it all works out well for you

orange crush build #1.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features