• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Becareful what you wish for...Virt steering.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Sorry but your fourstroke is a bit heavier on the front end. You may find your best balance is going to be back farther. More knee room too. A long reach to a virtical sterring post. Yes, in deep powder virt. is nice, but all other conditions the push pull of the virt. post will be worse to use. Going down hill it will be a long reach and will put aditional weight on the nose. The angle of the standard steering makes the pivot point on your shoulders and will be more comfortable for sure when sitting, also less weight and less joints. So it might be our choice. I'm staying with the '' so called'' horizontal. I'm buying the 1,100 because I ride different than Brett. I ride like my greatest hero, OWEN.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Never had any trouble sidehilling the t-nytro. Whether the vert steering is better, I don't know. It is not set in stone just because chris burandt or bret rasmussen do it. Look at the Tapios. They changed the steering to the conventional. Looks like it works really well for them.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Ride what works best for you- I am sure that you can get the conversion and switch back if ya don't like it.
Besides the T1100 is not made for boondocking all day long, as to why some went with the M8 lightness. HP is not a issue where flickability is:present:

S.C

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Sorry but your fourstroke is a bit heavier on the front end. You may find your best balance is going to be back farther. More knee room too. A long reach to a virtical sterring post. Yes, in deep powder virt. is nice, but all other conditions the push pull of the virt. post will be worse to use. Going down hill it will be a long reach and will put aditional weight on the nose.

The vertical steering is setup so that the bar position is almost in the same position as the horizontal steering. Depending on the riser in the vertical steering if you get the future kit, or where you telescope it if you have the stock vertical steering, it will be in the exact same position.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
After swinging the bars on both a sneek peek, I think AC should have brought the steering post out further on the mountian sleds. The tall riser angled forward REALLY adds to the arc. I now understand why those that rode them thought they felt goofy.

First thing I would do is put on the right length riser that runs parallel to the steering post and brings it back to where you like to stand. Then, I would install a very short riser for the hieght I want. The shorter the better.
That will lessen the arc it runs through huge. They were just goofy the way they were at the show. IMHO that set-up would be impossible to ride standing. Better off with a steering wheel LOL. Easy fix though and Cat engineers should have caught it.

I switched my spring check from the Std M8 to an HCR after the view, partly because of the steering (but I'll be changing the adjustable part to a solid shaft of the correct hieght for me and with a slight angle back LOL) but mostly because with the 38" front end I will have, sway bar, ti sprung shocks, and forward mounted cooler (bigger than I thought and probably the future on the 2 strokes Cats), will give me the lightest sled on the snow. I ride with some friends that have hair dryer Phazers that start at 400lbs and stay there all day without the ice and snow in the tunnel and on the suspention and brackets.

Have the best spring riding ever happening right now but the summer dreaming just started too.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
The vertical steering is setup so that the bar position is almost in the same position as the horizontal steering. Depending on the riser in the vertical steering if you get the future kit, or where you telescope it if you have the stock vertical steering, it will be in the exact same position.

Yes, when the bars are straight, but when you swing the bars the virt. steering swings way ahead, almost out of reach. On the two stroke leaning your weight forward is no big deal. It's annoying on the four stroke. If you came to your conclusion by riding it, then I can fully respect your oppinion. I'm talking about the guys testing the new bars. This is what they are finding.

Owen

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I rode a 1100T with both setups,:blah::bolt: I preferred the Vertical setup but I bought a 2 smoke so the argument is null:smile:

EDIT: let me add that I only got to ride them for that 1/2 day and spent the most time on the 2 stroke, geos comparison to a steering wheel is VERY accurate :face-icon-small-ton

Disclaimer, this is just my opinion, how it FELT to me when
i rode the them, I cant prove it and I dont care.
:behindsofa:

Last edited:

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
From what I saw at the show the bars on all the 1100s were adjusted forward way too far. The strange angle would have been impossible to ride the sled that way. They should have the risers set so they are inline with the angle of the steering shaft. I have never been a fan of this steering system, it is similar to a REV and when you pull on the bars to sidehill the sled wants to countersteer really hard and throw me off. The vertical steering has been my favorite part of cat sleds. When you pull to sidehill the skis stay close to straight and the sled tips very easily. Just my opinion.

Premium Features