• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tapio's on the 2012 Protocat 800 - PICS

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
Here are some pictures of Nels and Kyle Tapio (Tapio Racing; RMSHA circuit).

I'll have to say that riding with them on this new sled the last few weeks, in stock form. I'm amazed at how much better it goes in deep snow than the '10 & '11 M8's. I have no advertising or sponsorship interest either way (obviously I am a cat guy but..), but this sled just flat out climbs. A few weeks back, Kyle was literally climbing straight up over hills that it was taking Nels (on his stocker '11 M8) and me (on my stocker '10 M8), 4-5 runs to get over. I was impressed.

It's definitely a better looking sled with the graphics and fresh plastic, so it was cool to see the newly released sleds after just seeing this black stealth bomber for a while.

-Kevin

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

Other Misc. Pics - Not on the '12

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0183crop.jpg

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
How does it compare in the trees/sidehililng/boondocking compared to the 10-11 M8's

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
Curious, what else has been done to the sled in question?? It has powder pros on it so i would assume its not just stock with new skis...if cat wanted an honest rider evaluation wouldnt they have kept it bone stock?

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
How does it compare in the trees/sidehililng/boondocking compared to the 10-11 M8's

I don't have much seat time on it myself, as I didn't feel like putting there proto sled into a tree :face-icon-small-hap, but from their feedback it just takes some getting used to as does any new sled/chassis. They said after riding that for a day, hopping back on the M feels like hopping on an old chassis. Similar to comparisons already made in previous threads about initial thoughts on the M7 vs the Mountain Cats.

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
Curious, what else has been done to the sled in question?? It has powder pros on it so i would assume its not just stock with new skis...if cat wanted an honest rider evaluation wouldnt they have kept it bone stock?

They are getting ready to race the sled at the World Championship Hillclimbs at Jackson (it can't be raced in stock classes because it is a prototype), so you're right, in these pics it isn't stock, but it was ridden stock up until this day.

And yes, it is an 800 as the title of the thread states :face-icon-small-win

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
Adams

Kevin,

Was this from Adams last Saturday? Epic day watching the Tapio brothers, I can confirm these sleds were amazing. My mind was set on the 4 stroke until I saw you guys and worried about weight. What are you going to get the 800 or the 1100. Time for Brent to change sides!

Brett

Last edited:
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--So the take away from this ride report is....

--amazingly better in deep snow than '10-'11 M8

--"it just flat out climbs" --single track up mtn that took current sleds 4-5 tries to get over

--will take a little time on the sled to get used to it

--going back to '11 M8 feels like an "old chassis"

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Sounds like the clutching and chaincase configuration along with a well designed chassis is getting the power to the snow alot better than current M8

--Even "if" the PRO 800 has a slight edge in deep snow handling, the ProClimb M8 definetly has the muscle(nearly 20 HP --plus take your pick of future reliable turbo options for ProClimb M8).

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
--Sounds like the clutching and chaincase configuration along with a well designed chassis is getting the power to the snow alot better than current M8

--Even "if" the PRO 800 has a slight edge in deep snow handling, the ProClimb M8 definetly has the muscle(nearly 20 HP --plus take your pick of future reliable turbo options for ProClimb M8).

20HP doesn't make much difference when the weight/hp ratio is lower on the Pro than the cat.

And lets not forget, this is a first year sled that hasn't gotten hardly any seat time from anyone who isn't working for A/C perhaps you may like it, perhaps not. And even if you do, with such a small base to go on in terms of miles put on these prototypes the possibility of problems is elevated(Ha that coming from a polaris guy :face-icon-small-con)

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Really? We cant have one thread witbout a poo guy jumping in to discourage?

All sleds have problems your gambling with any sled you buy everyone that got a pro was gambling on the new motors...

Thanks for the real world analysis lets keep this thread for people wanting to know stuff about the test ride and future ride reports please!! N thanks..

Great news for an actual ride report! Thanks for sharing! I might be snowchecking one.

-Aksnopro

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Should not be any motor issues and the chassis is pretty straight forward. The Pro 800 motor is the engine that is still on probation here, not the M8 motor that has been around for years and the chassis is pretty straight forward.

--Are there any published side by side weight comparisons(fuel, oil, coolant, etc--hopefully soon)

--How much does it cost to get 20 HP more from the PRO just to even the score? Most everything a person can do to the Pro 800 you can do to the ProClimb 800 easier and with more reliabilty(especially turbos). Mod for mod, the pro is down 20 HP(except maybe with a turbo).

--Should not be too hard to drop a few pounds if needed anyway and the ProClimb still has the stock 20 HP power advantage( I do like a lightweight sled)

R
Jan 9, 2011
The LOOPS
Looks like a nice sled, my biggest concern is that front suspension doesnt look all that beeffy. Boon docking you seem to be faced with trees now and then. From your experience do the look heavey enough or will that be the "first" upgrade?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
20HP doesn't make much difference when the weight/hp ratio is lower on the Pro than the cat.

And lets not forget, this is a first year sled that hasn't gotten hardly any seat time from anyone who isn't working for A/C perhaps you may like it, perhaps not. And even if you do, with such a small base to go on in terms of miles put on these prototypes the possibility of problems is elevated(Ha that coming from a polaris guy :face-icon-small-con)

Dude, wake up, it takes at least two years to bring a sled to life, they have been riding these all winter at least

know for a fact they were riding M pre production sleds in 2003 around island park.FACT

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
Looks like a nice sled, my biggest concern is that front suspension doesnt look all that beeffy. Boon docking you seem to be faced with trees now and then. From your experience do the look heavey enough or will that be the "first" upgrade?

That was one of my initial thoughts, until I saw it tested first hand. One of them was high marking and turned out in the only spot available, some medium size stout alpine jack firs (you know the ones, they get thick and stout pretty quick as you move down the trunk from years of withstanding slides, etc.). He was forced to take one of these trees on the left arm area of the sled. The tree barely twitched, and flipped the sled end over end in a somersault. It looked like he could've been hurt pretty bad the way him and the sled were sliding down the hill. After assessing things it turns out damage was pretty minimal. A few bark rubs on the plastic, little mark/dent on the a-arm, and that was it. Kind of surprised me how it withstood that punishment, even the plastic was super stout.

The only negative I see on this sled is the lack of storage (yes, like the other brands...) because of the gas tank coming under the seat. Who knows, maybe something will change with that by the time production comes (doubt it..), but I love the storage under the seat on my '10. I guess a small tradeoff for progression, eh?

Premium Features