• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 M8 476 pounds...

Nickname

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Sweden
The weight differens between 2011 hcr and assult is only like 10 lbs. Full off fluids.

Nov 12, 2009
Camrose, AB
saw the actual artic cat spec sheet posted on a swedish ac website, 2012 M8 snopro 476 pounds. after waiting 7 years for a new chassis i was hoping for less, a lot less... and at 12,400 i was hoping the price would be a lot less also!!!

someone needs to clarify, is this with the create? or is 476 a dry weight. everyone deals in dry weight, ie no fluids. If this is crate weight with 3 gallons of gas, that is pretty decent

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
someone needs to clarify, is this with the create? or is 476 a dry weight. everyone deals in dry weight, ie no fluids. If this is crate weight with 3 gallons of gas, that is pretty decent

cat usualy weighs with shock oil and break fluid dd oil carbides batterys un like some others cat is crate weight"shiped" but still no gas

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I don't know where you are getting your weight from. Whatever the source, it isn't real. Cat was very clear at the dealer show. They will not release a weight on the sled until the final production sled is solidified and ready to produce. They are still in the last stage of the prototype, changing the last few items for the production models. You might see a weight by the time the snow check closes April 21.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Can't go off the Swedish sleds.....totally different emissions and regulations there. Typically not the same sled we get here in US/Canada.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I don't know where you are getting your weight from. Whatever the source, it isn't real. Cat was very clear at the dealer show. They will not release a weight on the sled until the final production sled is solidified and ready to produce. They are still in the last stage of the prototype, changing the last few items for the production models. You might see a weight by the time the snow check closes April 21.

Then someone should tell snowest to pipe down as well.

cat release on snowest's site:

http://www.snowest.com/snowmobile-news/display.cfm?ID=2673

"2012 M800 Sno Pro is same weight as 2011 M8 Sno Pro."

if this is true... it's disappointing, if it's not true, it's REALLY disappointing that it got printed.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Can't go off the Swedish sleds.....totally different emissions and regulations there. Typically not the same sled we get here in US/Canada.
If some body was ambitious they could see how the Sweeds compare to ours in the past years. I am guessing the weight will be 5 lbs. different at best. I wish I knew if I could boon dock a m1100 turbo like I can with my M8. I have had heavy Yammis and really don't think I could be happy with another four stroke.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Most of the way a sled handles is related to its design not just weight. If its a agile chassis then I'm sure that you could run it in the trees. The lighter sleds will be a little easier for sure but I'm guessing it will be like riding a m1000 or a m8, both work just fine in the tight stuff the 8 is just a little easier, but get them out in the open and the bigger sled will demo the smaller.

Just my guess.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
This is such a true statement. I ride an '09 M1000 and jump om my wife's '09 M8 all of the time, both with SLP pipes. The lightweight feel of the M8 is very noticeable, (easier to throw around ) however , in the deep in the meadows the grunt of the M1000 pulls the nose up and out of the snow so much easier it's amazing. It's true as far as that goes , no replacement for displacement!

Most of the way a sled handles is related to its design not just weight. If its a agile chassis then I'm sure that you could run it in the trees. The lighter sleds will be a little easier for sure but I'm guessing it will be like riding a m1000 or a m8, both work just fine in the tight stuff the 8 is just a little easier, but get them out in the open and the bigger sled will demo the smaller.

Just my guess.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Weight

Here is a fact on the weight issue. IF the weight was significantly lower than previous years models , they WOULD be stating that and using it as a selling or marketing strategy. They are not. I believe they will be the same, if not a little more. Why a sway bar for the mountain sleds? First thing that gets taken out. What is with the funky aluminum bracket for the tail-light? The tunnel is all pretty much the same so the weight has to be lost in the front end, and it does not look lighter.

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
None of this matters, Cats benchmark for a new chassis should be to bring this sled in at the same or similar weight of the comparable competitors sled weight ie: pro ride or xp, if they have not done this, they did not do their job.

We all know that 10-20lbs is not that big of a deal, but to see it on paper it is, this is what sells the public, "bragging rights"

Really, Pro Climb, could they bite off of Polaris anymore transparently.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I do have to say the 'pro climb' name could have been less 'transparent', as you called it and a little more original.
The sweedish are guessing on weight as much as we are. All the European and Japanese dealers were at the same show ordering the same stuff.
I will just say, don't believe any weight you read unless it's on cats website, or until we get our hands on production models and weigh them ourselves. And don't expect it to weigh different than a couple pounds less than the 2011 model m8.

Premium Features